SVT Forums

Need Quick Help. Plz

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
sk8r4life2112

Default Need Quick Help. Plz

Allright guys so i found an 01 svt cobra with 56k miles on it. MT's on the back, with a year old centerforce dual friction clutch.The dudes selling it for bout 9500 there wereonly a few problems that i spotted when i visited it. He suspects either the starter or alternator was bad which caused it not to start (which is a pretty easy fix since i work at an auto parts place ).Another problem was the fuel railhadthe fitting stripped which i need to get a new one, and the last problem was in cai tubing had a hole in it.

My questionsis, for the fuel rail do you need to replace both of them or can you only replace one?

Thanks-Mike
Old 07-08-2008, 11:01 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Need Quick Help. Plz

i wouldn't buy or wouldnt of untill you were SURE of what was wrong with it.

i think you have to replace them both? im not sure tho lol someone else have some input?
Old 07-09-2008, 01:31 AM
sk8r4life2112

im gonna try to do some basic work with it tomorrow to see if i can get it to start. replace the battery, compression test, seafoam, etc
Old 07-09-2008, 07:50 AM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

I agree with SVT above.

You can also compression start the car to see how it runs as well as nearly confirm starter issue (possible other causes, but pretty un-likely). Not to mention, drive it to see if you like it

Jazzer
Old 07-09-2008, 08:10 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

RED FLAG...

Mickeys are on the back???? I can almost gaurentee that thing was track abused. People only buy Mickeys for one reason, and one reason only.

Those Cobras came with the tr 3650 tranny... and 28 spline IRS.. I would definatly look very hard at that transmission and rear suspension. Those are going to be hit hard on the track with those tires... as well as the size of the spline on the clutch, if its not a 28 spline.. that could be on it's way also.
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 AM
sk8r4life2112

ill give yall what he gave me and what my opinion is.

He told me that theres just a hole in the cai tubing, and a stripped fitting in the fuel rail. I came to the fact that he used nitrous. He later confirmed that he did use a 35 shot about 2 times in the vehicle. He also said he went to moroso about 2 times, and replaced the clutch about a year ago with the centerforce.

what im going to do today is go over to his house, replace his battery with a new one, jb weld that fitting in the fuel rail so fuel doesnt spray, and see if we can jump it or if it is able to be started by itsself
Old 07-09-2008, 10:05 AM
alexr
★★★★★

unless the battery is dead, i wouldnt expect the alternator to be bad if the car just flat out isnt starting. it wont last running on the battery alone, but its not like it wont start at all.

how bout starting simple, and seeing how much juice is in the battery? that'll save you a headache of trouble if thats the problem.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:59 PM
sk8r4life2112

well i went to go work on the car today, with a few quarts of oil, dry gas, jb weld and i took off the alternator and the battery. i went to the auto parts store and got a brand new battery, and they tested the alternator and the dude says it was at 15amps. went back to the car put in the new battery and alternator and jb welded the fuel rail hole just so it could maintain the pressure. when we went to turn it on, the car gave us one click, so im hoping its just the starter thats giving us the problem. other then that i was thinking maybe a fuel related issue if its not the starter...but im not too sure.
Old 07-09-2008, 08:58 PM
baino
4th Gear Member

man, sounds like she's been beat on. Not to discourage you, but there are nicer ones out there boss
Old 07-10-2008, 12:34 AM
sk8r4life2112

yea man i feel ya, after havin a nice thinkin session with myself i started thinkin to myself that theres just something else this kid is not tellin me, and to pretty much say goodbye to this one...i just have one of those feelings

Quick Reply: Need Quick Help. Plz