SVT Forums

cobra or mach 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:10 PM
2002GTAUTOVERT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: cobra or mach 1

ORIGINAL: xxkazp3rxx

and no mach 1's had a forged bottom end...

The mach 1 is good for what it's suppose to, while the CObra is good for what it's suppose to do... the Cobra will make more power easier, however... unlike what the genius above me said.. it doesn't cost "just 600 bucks" to pulley the car.. it's actually cheaper for the pulley/tune, but the supporting mods are a lot more expensive... Once you pulley the car you need several cooling additions, plus your clutch is on limited life.. and once you hit 500rwhp you need a new maf, and/or either a BAP or a new fuel system. ALong with several items that need to be done in the rear suspension...

Unless you have a modded Terminator you have no idea the money it costs... Is it worth it? HELL YES. but don't speak like it's so cheap, when in reality it's really not... well if you do it the right way.

And the pullied Terminator will not beat a bolt on Mach 1 in an autocross unless you have money in the terminator rear end... The IRS in that car is the worst IRS ever built... It doesn't respond worth a damn... and unless you have at the very least some nitto drag tires (that need to be replaced every year) you're not going to move an inch in a pullied or modded Cobra in a race...

I loved my Terminator and spent a hell of a lot of money, and don't regret it. There are no bad feelings - but you really need to know what you're getting into.
+9999 any termi owner who knows what he is doing.. knows that whatever first mods you do, cooling is by far the most important. a guy my g/f worked with had an 03 cobra here in vegas.. lets just say he ended up on the side of the road with a burning snake. cooling is a huge issue with termie's out here in the desert.

a pulley and tune is an easy way to get easy power... but honestly if i were a cobra owner, id spend the first couple grand on cooling mods and an SRA.

as for the OP.. cobra vs mach.. i like the cobra hood, front end, back end (including the fuel tank look).. the mach 1.. i love the hood scoop, the different color back, the chin spoiler. all in all if you want power at your hands immeadietly.. the cobra. if you want decent power with a car to admire that is a rarity to see on the road.. the mach 1. thats just IMO.

Armada.. also.. the Mach 1 was to fill the gap between the GT and Cobra performance wise.. while boosting sales on all mustang trims by the publicity of bringing back the bullitt and mach 1. they couldnt throw a GT motor in the Mach 1 as the bullitt had it already.. it would just be redundant.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:31 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Looks are all a matter of opinion... But 2002 is right.. it's a balance between the GT/Terminator...

When looking at the difference in cars.. The mach 1 is an "easier" car... If you want a 400-475rwhp car the mach 1 is the best option in 2003/2004.. if you want more, The Cobra is a better choice... You can buy a mach 1 for 15k-18k or a Cobra from 22-26k....

I had a 500+rwhp/torque Cobra and it was VERY streetable... The only things I really hated abouit it were the tires, alternator and FRPS... it was really annoying.

And FWIW.. I do like the Mach 1 interior more then the Cobra... the seats, the dash... everything.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:58 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

Cooling problems, cooling problems.... is that the Cobra's short coming?
Old 07-16-2008, 07:30 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

Yes.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:11 PM
Machwon
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: jimbob8915

My 03 Cobra is a daily driver with 80k miles. The only issues I can think of that is negative is the mpg, I currently get about 11 mpg. I imagine a Mach would get better fuel mileage.
Get your foot out of the gas then....lol

The Cobra has a t56 6 speed which is better on gas for the highway compared to a 5spd mach.
Also, QUICK01, where did you get that nonsense? All Mach's engines are built exactly the same regardless of auto or stick!

Most everyone is forgeting that the Cobra will outhandle the Mach because the Cobra has IRS (independent rear suspension) The Cobra has a fully forged motor where as the Mach is just the basic cast component motor. You can do a pulley swap and a tune for the Cobra for around $600 and be at 475 to the wheels 560 at the crank and it's safe. The Mach could never do that without having motor troubles eventually. Cobra has nicer seats, nicer wheels compared to those nasty *** ugly Mach wheels.[:'(] On and On and On......... Mach's are nothing more than a Mustang Bullitt with a 96-98 cobra engine plain and simple. ooooohhhh thy havn air induction.....their sooo special.......lol
They are way overpriced for what you get.
Ruffcat- I want to personally extend a THANK YOU for providing me with the most misinformed, narrowmined, and opinionated post of my day. Let me point out a few things right off the bat:

1) Mach 1 seats are identical to cobra seats, just covered in leather center sections (desinged to imitate the vintage mach "comfort weave" seating), rather than the suede center sections prone to quick wear and deterioration found in the cobras.

2) As has been said: Automatic mach 1s DID NOT receive some "crappy different" bottom end, the only thing that IS different is a cast crank, rather than the forged crank that the manual mach 1s, and cobras received.

3) The wheels are no nicer, or pooer than cobra stock wheels. This is purely a matter of speculative opinion, rather than functional fact. I know many people that prefer the vintage look of the Magnum 500s over cobra stockers which have little to know base in mustang heritage.

4) The mach 1s have more in common with the 03/04 cobra engines than a 96-98 motor so I havnt the least clue how you came up with that.

5) The mach 1s have no more in common with any bullitt than they do any terminator. (DOHC, T-3650, Solid rear end, Interior, exterior, etc)

6) Do you even know what "thy havn air induction" is called...I certainly hope you do if you are giving advice to someone on which car to choose. (Shaker hood) -yet another vintage cue.

7) How are they overpriced? Do you know what a lower mileage mach1 is selling for these days? In anycase they are a bargain car for the 14-16K you can pick one up for these days. A car that is capable of low 13s bone stock...again how are they overpriced?

All of these things being said- I say if money is not an issue, and you will eventually want something with more than 450 rwhp, then get the 03/04 cobra. They are 2 totally different cars, with different highs and lows. TO me the vintage styling, mustang heritage, and feel of a Solid axle mach 1 takes the cake- but to each their own.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:21 PM
mfj
Banned

Oh, and Mach 1 heads are the same "high flow" Tumble Portheads that the Terminators also have, lol!
Old 07-16-2008, 06:33 PM
I G Joe
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Machwon

ORIGINAL: RuffCat

ORIGINAL: jimbob8915

My 03 Cobra is a daily driver with 80k miles. The only issues I can think of that is negative is the mpg, I currently get about 11 mpg. I imagine a Mach would get better fuel mileage.
Get your foot out of the gas then....lol

The Cobra has a t56 6 speed which is better on gas for the highway compared to a 5spd mach.
Also, QUICK01, where did you get that nonsense? All Mach's engines are built exactly the same regardless of auto or stick!

Most everyone is forgeting that the Cobra will outhandle the Mach because the Cobra has IRS (independent rear suspension) The Cobra has a fully forged motor where as the Mach is just the basic cast component motor. You can do a pulley swap and a tune for the Cobra for around $600 and be at 475 to the wheels 560 at the crank and it's safe. The Mach could never do that without having motor troubles eventually. Cobra has nicer seats, nicer wheels compared to those nasty *** ugly Mach wheels.[:'(] On and On and On......... Mach's are nothing more than a Mustang Bullitt with a 96-98 cobra engine plain and simple. ooooohhhh thy havn air induction.....their sooo special.......lol
They are way overpriced for what you get.
Ruffcat- I want to personally extend a THANK YOU for providing me with the most misinformed, narrowmined, and opinionated post of my day. Let me point out a few things right off the bat:

1) Mach 1 seats are identical to cobra seats, just covered in leather center sections (desinged to imitate the vintage mach "comfort weave" seating), rather than the suede center sections prone to quick wear and deterioration found in the cobras.

2) As has been said: Automatic mach 1s DID NOT receive some "crappy different" bottom end, the only thing that IS different is a cast crank, rather than the forged crank that the manual mach 1s, and cobras received.

3) The wheels are no nicer, or pooer than cobra stock wheels. This is purely a matter of speculative opinion, rather than functional fact. I know many people that prefer the vintage look of the Magnum 500s over cobra stockers which have little to know base in mustang heritage.

4) The mach 1s have more in common with the 03/04 cobra engines than a 96-98 motor so I havnt the least clue how you came up with that.

5) The mach 1s have no more in common with any bullitt than they do any terminator. (DOHC, T-3650, Solid rear end, Interior, exterior, etc)

6) Do you even know what "thy havn air induction" is called...I certainly hope you do if you are giving advice to someone on which car to choose. (Shaker hood) -yet another vintage cue.

7) How are they overpriced? Do you know what a lower mileage mach1 is selling for these days? In anycase they are a bargain car for the 14-16K you can pick one up for these days. A car that is capable of low 13s bone stock...again how are they overpriced?

All of these things being said- I say if money is not an issue, and you will eventually want something with more than 450 rwhp, then get the 03/04 cobra. They are 2 totally different cars, with different highs and lows. TO me the vintage styling, mustang heritage, and feel of a Solid axle mach 1 takes the cake- but to each their own.
lol love this, also you have to add inthe fact the Mach 1 is a more of a rare mustang, i can barely find a mach 1 through all of the cobras i find.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:53 PM
mills281e
4th Gear Member

i found an 03 cobra 28316 miles for 19500, i think this might just eb the one
Seems a little underpriced for an 03 with less than 30,000 miles.
Old 07-16-2008, 07:11 PM
alexplantman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

There is a similar one on ebay for about $18K-$19K, I am not sure if that is the one he is looking at, but the one on ebay is a little deceiving, bunch of aholes[:@]... long azz, detailed , great sounding description, pics... then in the middle of the description, "salvage title"... so if someone just skims the ad and places a bid, wham... they got themselves a wrecked car..

I have seen them on autotrader dot com for about $22K-$25K with under 50K miles, so that seems to be their price range for a relatively low mileage unit...
Old 07-16-2008, 07:20 PM
2k6silvergt
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mills281e

That's actually not a bad deal but they can be found for even less with 20-30k miles. For example there are two on ebay right now one with like 25k miles and he will take 15000 and it also has a few mods and the other has just over 16k miles and he has it for 15900 obo.

Quick Reply: cobra or mach 1