SVT Forums

Best bolt-ons for 96 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Tangerine96GT

Default Best bolt-ons for 96 Cobra

What are the best and cheapest bolt-ons for the 96 cobra? i have supercharger on it now but i'm taking it off and would like to know the best ones for the money
Old 07-20-2008, 07:12 PM
mfj
Banned

Default RE: Best bolt-ons for 96 Cobra

THIS SOUNDS SOOO FAKE!
Old 07-20-2008, 08:02 PM
Tangerine96GT

how does it sound fake?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:11 PM
Wynn
2nd Gear Member

Best bolt on equals supercharger... Duh!
Old 07-20-2008, 09:23 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

yeah... lol u want power adders but you're taking away the thing that gives u the most power...
Old 07-21-2008, 08:36 AM
Tangerine96GT

well it's my dads car and he's giving it to me because i just sold mine. my mom says i can't have the supercharger on there so it's got to go
Old 07-21-2008, 11:22 AM
mfj
Banned

Like I said, this sounds sooo fake...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

aight.. sell the supercharger.. so you get like 1.5-2k.. What other kind of money are you looking to spend? ill copy and paste one of my replys from another recent thread to get you going... As far as a mark 8 motor.. You therefor have a GT- with a 4v motor..

you can PM with any questions after i reply with my other post...
Old 07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Shifty Powers
3rd Gear Member

You are right about rods/pistons, so like stated before, they are not tooo expensive to redo. But what also helps hold these cars back is the IMRC's and long runner intake. Delete your IMRC's and cut your intake to make it a Short Runner Intake and youll be good, also porting our heads and adding some cams would be great but starts getting expensive.
Get full exahust, gears, 31 spline axels,rear girdel,aluminum driveshaft, short throw shifter(MGW or Steeda tri-ax are the best),U/D pulleys(if you want them, they are not needed; but if you get them, do not get the piggyback style; dont get BBK), CAI( you do not need to take off ur STB for a good intake, we have perfected a homemade one that you can do that will fit under ur STB and is about as big as the JLT one).(you dont want to lose the STB, youll feel the difference right away, specially if u drive a vert.) Eventually you could delete the IMRCs,do a short runner intake, and port your heads with some cams. (But if you get into that, then you may as well forge it while your into the engine)
Also some good things to get would be an 180* T-stat. And an oil seperator that take some of the oil our of our heads(the extra stuff).

Yes our cars are capable of running 450rwhp on stock internals reliably. If you are not running a power adder, then most of the people who run nitrous on stock internals will run about a 125 wet shot. Dont run a dry shot if your going to do anything, run a wet shot, or DPI fogger system. Safer.

The transmission will hold up to normal DD driving, but if you insist on ragging on it EVERY day in and out, they are turds and will break piece by piece. They do not hold any extra power either, if you SC or run nitrous on your car, i wouldnt worry about the engine, as so much as i would the tranny falling out from onder the car lol.
our cars make the most power at middle to top of the power band(thats why people like the high gearing for our cars, because they are dogs down low), so if you havent noticed, our engines do rev pretty high, and you can actually take off the limiter and with a set of cams, you can rev them even higher. These engines LOVE to rev, dont deprive them of that!
If you want to replace the transmission, get the t-56 that is in the terminators, it is the best tranny out there for our cars; plus it is 6 speed, and you can get it built to ViperSpec, which is absolutely awesome!!!!! (btw for one of these brand new ur looking from 2000-2500, or you could pick one up used out of an 03/04)..

I will get into suspension mods when you ask, i dont even want to get into that yet lol.. Thats a whole different ballgame.

BTW.. I hope this helped you... And these cobra's styling is just badass!!! with the right rims,and stance, you cannot beat our bumper and hood, they just look nasty!!! Plus the lines of these cars is just sexy!! So get one, you wont regret it

i did not feel like editing this too much.. took out some points that were justified in a diff thread. So just read it and use what you need.

Good luck
Old 07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Bro how old are you, that your letting your mom tell you what to do?

Quick Reply: Best bolt-ons for 96 Cobra