SVT Forums

Is IRS any good?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 07:54 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Default Is IRS any good?

Theres a sort of local guy wanting to trade his 26K IRS from his cobra. What are the positive and negative aspects of IRS? I just like the design of the exhaust but is there more to it than that? Should I consider trading for it? I really dont plan on drag racing my car at all. I figured Id post in here too. Some of you guys may have experience with both
Old 08-28-2008, 08:01 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

O.K.,so during the week I cut my front springs 3/4 a coil and my rear springs 3/4 coil w/out a top ISO installed. (I will never do anything with springs on a IRS again, even w/the correct tools and spring compressor it was a bitch). I even managed to cut my Drivers Half shaft boot unknowingly and possibly ruined it on my test drive... grease everywhere. (I'm Looking to go solid now) Here are some pics.

^^I just read that in a post he made. Should I be worried about this? How much of a fix am I looking at

Thanks
Old 08-28-2008, 08:02 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by blackGTcp
Theres a sort of local guy wanting to trade his 26K IRS from his cobra. What are the positive and negative aspects of IRS? I just like the design of the exhaust but is there more to it than that? Should I consider trading for it? I really dont plan on drag racing my car at all. I figured Id post in here too. Some of you guys may have experience with both
get it, the only downfall to IRS i would say is the weight... which is well worth the handling, and its known to break at the strip, but even with a brace it holds up pretty well at the track, im guessin this cobra is gonna be a track car, and thats why he wants an SRA, if he wants a stright up trade do it, theres tons of guys on this site that would love that opportunity.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:08 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Well the thing is that I will not be at the power levels any time soon where id need to beef it up. I just want to know if its reliable for my daily driving. I dont do any kind of autox or racing. I do enjoy taking curves but nothing too hardcore

And Id have to buy an new exhaust because he only has the stock one. And wheels spacers for when i get my wheels and lower it?

Nevermind about his post that I found. He is putting his in an 03 10, putting mine in his and giving me the 03 10th
Im copying this from my other post in the gen talk section
Old 08-28-2008, 09:38 PM
mfj
Banned

the 03/04 cobra irs is extremely reliable at your power levels, for daily driving...
Old 08-28-2008, 10:12 PM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

I dont want to do this unless i will feel a difference. What do you think?
Old 08-29-2008, 05:02 AM
mfj
Banned

u will feel a HUGE difference...
Old 08-29-2008, 07:27 AM
CobraBob
2nd Gear Member

You will see a difference between your solid and a new IRS for sure. There is no disadvantage except for the weight. An IRS setup can be beefed up for the track at higher power/torque levels, but you're not going to have to worry about that right now. I say do it. You'll be very happy. JMO.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

I agree with above. Personally, I like the SRA over the IRS, but you can feel the ride difference with the IRS (which most people like more).. better for cornering and what not... your car will feel slower because of the added weight, so make sure you expect that.

THe other thing you have to consider.. are you getting the whole kit, including exhaust? Or are you going to have to get more parts after the swap.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:16 AM
blackGTcp
4th Gear Member

Thanks a lot guys. This going to be a complete swap. Exhaust and everything so I shouldnt have to worry about anything
I was just told that its against the rules to have more than one thread about the same thing in another section so i guess ill [/thread]
I have this in the 4.6 gen section if you have more to add
Thanks

Quick Reply: Is IRS any good?