SVT Forums

im so distraught and indecisive... another N/A v S/C thread...

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 06:23 PM
FrigidReflection
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
No, I would rather just flame oxfordguy...
I can feel the love

So you have $7300 burning a hole in you're pocket for the build huh? I wish I could say the same thing about myself

If I were in you're predicament I would probably just do a s/c & intercooler + and save the rest for supporting mods. Then again I'm kinda lazy and am sorta taking the easy way out But hey to each his own.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:53 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

eh, im worried about the life expectancy of the motor.. its undergoing a rebuild anyway... so s/c + supporting mods = like 5 grand? atleast.. so i need a reliable motor built for $2300... hmm suggestions?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:05 PM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

well with 7300.. I mean there's a few things you can do... build the motor is the most important because if you want to run REAL power.. you're going to have to anyways... chances are if you build this "the right way" it'll end up over your budget... you have to think... motor + transmission + suspension even before you think about forced induction... that's going to suck up a lot of your money right there..

question is, is are you doing the work or are you paying someone to do it for you?
Old 08-25-2008, 09:35 PM
FrigidReflection
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
eh, im worried about the life expectancy of the motor.. its undergoing a rebuild anyway... so s/c + supporting mods = like 5 grand? atleast.. so i need a reliable motor built for $2300... hmm suggestions?
How many miles do you have on your engine and tranny already--I might have not seen that part lol.

Also ditto on what xxkazp3rxx said, "are you doing the work or are you paying someone to do it for you?"
Old 08-25-2008, 09:42 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

No labor charge at all, all me, my brother, my dad and maybe a buddy or two.

Yeah, i know i need to build the motor first... thats why im trying to go n/a because if i build it with compression for a s/c application in mind its gonna be so SLOW till i get forced induction... it won't hurt running low compression n/a will it? but it will be a long time im guessing since i will break my budget.. thats why i was wondering if i could do a N/a high 11 second build.. i think 12.5 compression is about as high as it gets on pump gas? (93 octane)...

as for the milage.. too much it would simply be a waste of money to go forced induction without a rebuild... and i don't have that much cash.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:54 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Lets see
Pistons $400
Rods $450
bore .020 over $10 per cylinder (should include cleaning and honing) If you have to pay more then that find a different machine shop.
Balancing $200
Head work $600
Most places will include the rings and bearings with the pistons and rods.

Don't believe me I'll dig up my reciepts. I built my 1000hp capable shortblock for $2100. I have more then likely built more modular engines then most of you have see in person.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:58 PM
FrigidReflection
1st Gear Member

Ah well if you don't go s/c then there is a lot of good stuff out there to build a solid NA cobra motor. That's whats nice about having a cobra lol, if Forced induction doesn't float your boat, then you can always go NA. You have a 96 too right, so if I'm not mistaken we have the "teskid" block which I've been told is a good platform to start off of. Plus we already have a forged crank. Just curious, but do you want low 11's mid or high 11's? By the way you are SO lucky you don't have to pay the overhead for labor, normally if I'm not mistaken that would cost a pretty penny.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:01 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by oxfordgt
Lets see
Pistons $400
Rods $450
bore .020 over $10 per cylinder (should include cleaning and honing) If you have to pay more then that find a different machine shop.
Balancing $200
Head work $600
Most places will include the rings and bearings with the pistons and rods.

Don't believe me I'll dig up my reciepts. I built my 1000hp capable shortblock for $2100. I have more then likely built more modular engines then most of you have see in person.
Hey idiot, you got a fukking two valve... Everything is double for the DOHC engines... And you piston/rods prices are wack... and so is your machine work prices... Are you fukking high?

you have just confirmed it for me... YOU HAVEN'T THE SLIGHTEST CLUE OF WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT...
Old 08-25-2008, 10:16 PM
oxfordgt
6th Gear Member

Your a ****ing idiot. I have had 4v heads ported for $600 many times by a local guy that does both 2v and 4v. You better go check with machine shops and ask prices before you act like you know anything. Call pro power performance and check the parts prices. If you don't know who they are look on every prostock mustang racing in NMRA and you will see their sponser sticker.

The heads are the only major differences between the 2v and 4v engines and everything in the shortblock is innerchangeable.

Just because I own a 2v doesn't mean that I only build 2v's you douche.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:21 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

well im still on square one, yeah our whole family has been around cars their entire lives.. and my dad was pretty heavy into the dirt track racing scene... hopefully he can get some machining done for my car pretty cheap, i know he has gotten some of his stuff done cheap, he has a good bit of friends in the car business/ mechanic scene... and can do just about anything himself, as long as he has the tools.. and if he doesn't he knows someone who does and will do it for cheap, hes putting in my gears, as he put in the 3.73s in his dirt track car and that thing has a good bit of miles on it, 1/4 mile track.. 50-100 laps a race... and its seen plenty of races, holding up fine....
still not sure about my compression questions.. input anyone..

and as i stated above, i could settle for 11.8s... consistantly that is..

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 08-25-2008 at 10:24 PM.

Quick Reply: im so distraught and indecisive... another N/A v S/C thread...