MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Forums (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums-34/)
-   -   Fuel Injector noise (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums/499504-fuel-injector-noise.html)

aimhigh10 11-22-2008 11:38 PM

Fuel Injector noise

Hey everyone, I'm new and just thought I'd post a question.

I have a 97 cobra I just bought a couple weeks ago, great car I love it. This is my second cobra, had a 96 a few years back that I regret getting rid of. Anyway, I had a slight tick on the drivers side part of the engine. I thought it was a lifter making the noise or maybe a Header leak as I do have the BBK long tubes. Well after doing the screwdriver trick, I held it up to one of the injectors and sure enough, that was it. I'm sure because it got louder when I put the screwdriver against my ear.

My question, is that normal to have fuel injectors tick louder than others. Is there any chance the injectors are bad. How would I know they were bad or why to they tick like that. I appeciate the info. Thanks :)

Timspony 11-23-2008 06:57 AM

Are these the stock Ford fuel injectors? ...Fuel injectors do make some noice, but the way you describe it, I'm not convinced that's totally the issue...any chance of a sound clip?

aimhigh10 11-23-2008 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply,

Like I said its only a slight ticking noise, just enough to annoy me, and when I put the screwdriver up to the valve cover, I don't here the ticking. Only when I put it up to the fuel injector. The ticking echoes because you can hear it under the car as well. Just don't remember my 96 cobra injectors ticking but of course its been a few years. They are stock injectors also.
Does the ticking noise mean they are working good or dirty/clogged.

Also, I changed my spark plugs from the stock motorcraft to the NGK's TR6. I gapped them at .040. Does that sound right with stock coil packs?

_Slowbra_ 11-24-2008 02:48 AM

Have you tried running a fuel injection system cleaner yet?

If its the fuel injection, that should clear it up if its clogged or dirty.

aimhigh10 11-25-2008 06:10 AM

Yes, I put the fuel injector cleaner in. I guess the injectors make the ticking noise like that. Its not bad, but I can hear it just enough to bother me. It echoe's so I can hear it under the car as well. I'm about 99% sure its the injectors though. Like I said in earlier post, when you put the screwdriver up to the injectors, I can hear the same sound and at the same temple. I don't hear the tick when I put it up to the valve cover, guess thats a good thing.

Has anyone discovered the same issue as me?

13bwsmith 09-21-2014 10:23 PM

hmmm

I have a 1997 3.8l v6 mustang the injectors are ticking on it to I bought it like 2 weeks ago I thought it was a lifter but I was looking at and and the ticking is noticeably coming from the injectors I can feel it and hear it coming from them idk why???