SVT Forums

Possibly looking into an 03 Cobra....Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 PM
crazyhorse
3rd Gear Member

how much horse power does the truck have?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:13 PM
Tundaplaya
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Black*Death
Firstly, most terminators are over 390 and closer to 420 crank HP and thus 360's at the rear wheels for HP. I know I would have trouble resisting going fast and racing light to light in a Termie.

HP and speed are like alcohol in a sense. People often don't plan to drink then drive but inevitably they do......same with this car..Your son probably has no plans to race anyone in this, but kids will start talking trash and throw some REVS at a light and next thing you know he is racing...Take it for a long test and see how many ricers rev at you and people ask you to "run" them. Good luck because it is a tough situation , as a parent, to be in right now
Thank you all for your replies. This is exactly the type of situation I was worried about. Im not sure if I am willing to take that risk. I was thinking of finding maybe a 05-06 GT or a 03-04 Mach 1 with low miles. I think these would be plenty as Mustang said. And when hes older and he feels he wants more, there is always the possibility of turbo'ing or supercharging it.
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
how much horse power does the truck have?
Almost 300, but with its wieght, big tires and lifted suspension, you cant tell at all.

Thanks everyone for all your replies. I am thinking this may just be a bit too much at the moment. What do you guys think of still letting him drive it? Would it be cruel to give him a taste and say theirs no way? But I really want to drive it myself so I think we may still at least take it for a spin.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:47 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I mean its your son, you know him better then we do. If you think he knows right from wrong and wouldn't get into trouble with it then let him have it. I'm 20 and have owned 3 mustangs (since 16) which I have paid for all of them by myself....04 mach1, 07 gt and now 04 cobra. If it was my son thoe I wouldn't buy it for him. I would let him have it as long as he could buy it and pay for the payments himself. He will appreciate it alot more if he buys it himself. I know I do with my cars.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:04 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

yeah.. you can't give the kid a box of rubbers and say "no sex until marriage" -- don't let him drive it if you're not goin to let him have it... lol -- maybe once after he gets his actual car this way he already has something along those lines..
Old 12-05-2008, 01:45 AM
BackInBlack90LX
3rd Gear Member

+1 on that dont buy it for him make him pay for it, ive owned 4 mustangs since i was 16, and payed for all of them 1993 chp notchback, 1990 supercharged vert, 1990 stock hatback 5ltr, and now a 2003 cobra coupe if he is responsible and knows how to drive let him get but he will take alot better care of it if he pays for it and thats a fact

:0)
Old 12-05-2008, 07:19 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Sounds like a good deal for the Cobra...But not for a 17 year old IMO
Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Tundaplaya
I actually considered that myself. I figured I have time to decide. He drives my GT well, and has driven his friends GT(about 330 HP). We originally bought him an 07 V6, but we both agreed that was too wimpy. He purchased an older truck that he is driving now. Only thing deterring me from buying it myself is I dont think I would want to DD it. Couldnt forgive myself for putting many miles on it Thank you everyone for the replys. I certainly dont want to rush into this. How do these cars run as far as reliability goes? Obviously have a supercharger I assume there is a higher risk of malfunctions.
First off, your son will hate us for this if he ever becomes a member or is a member on here lol.

and secondly,

just because he drives responsibly when u are in the car doesn't mean he does the same when u are not lol.

i had my cobra on my drivers permit and i didn't drive like i do now when my mom was sittin next to me lol.

granted im still responsible as far as driving i don't floor it everywhere but like everyone else i like to get on it every now and then, and your son WILL get on it now and then, its too tempting all that power just 3 inches from the floor... when i first started driving i scared myself once or twice with my wee little 278whp lol. 370ish to the wheels is gonna be fun to learn from lol.

im 18 now (car since i was 15 driving alone since i was 16) and i have no wrecks other than a little parking lot bump which was not my fault( didn't even go on my rec/insurance)

no tickets (knock on wood) so yes it is possible he could be allright but from a 4.0 v6- termi is a BIG difference, maybe you should find a middleground like the otherguys were saying.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:16 AM
cant_you_beat_me
2nd Gear Member

I would pass on getting him the cobra. My first car with any power was a 01 bullitt when i was 17 years old. I thought I had mastered it within a week so i was playing around in my neighborhood with the traction control off and spun it around in the middle of the road almost heading towards the ditch. Since then i have had much respect for any v8 car RWD at that. I am 21 now and i purchased a 04 cobra vert and i couldnt imagine having this as my first car. Plus the urge to hear the S/C whine is almost unbearable lol. I would agree with the previous statement, buy the cobra for yourself and give him the GT.

2001 Black Bullitt Sold
4.10's
SCT2
CAI
Dr's

2004 White Cobra Vert
Pulley
Tune
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

If I where you I would send your kid to a Racing school of some type (maybe yourself? good bonding time). Make him learn what a car is capable of. The problem with kids getting high powered cars is they don't respect what it is capable of and end up getting hurt. Sure most kids can't handle high power cars but I believe if they have been trained to respect the car they will be ok.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:07 PM
orange1997GT
1st Gear Member

I bought my 97 npi Gt back in April, I'm 19 and my dad doesnt let me drive his 300 hp GT. I drive totally different when I'm with my parents in my car, i haul @$$ when I'm by myself. I'm from Milford, CT, and three kids from my high school died in a car accident in the mall parking lot last Feb, they wernt even 18 yet, hit a pole going about 70. I knew them and theyre family, it was a tough time. you can go fast in any V8 Mustang, mine is probably just over 200 rwhp if I'm lucky, being npi lol. I want a termi myself, tho. A s197 GT is not slow by any means, so i dont think which mustang he drives matters. I hope noone else has to lose a loved one in a car crash for doing something stupid tho.

Quick Reply: Possibly looking into an 03 Cobra....Need Advice