SVT Forums

Possibly looking into an 03 Cobra....Need Advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:57 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

I agree with everyone on here.

I finished paying off for a 97gt, and then wrecked it twice before totaling it at the age of 18. I must admit that I was irresponsible within the first couple of months owning my license.

I turned 19, and decided to purchase a 2003 cobra. I have learned that something that you buy with your own money, you end up taking care of. I have resisted in street racing, but like everyone with a 03-04 cobra, there's the usual highway run/stop light takeoff. If I was a parent no way would I buy this type of car for my son. My 03 dynoed 370 to the wheels stock. To this day that is still plenty horsepower for me and I'm satisfied with it.

The 97gt, stock rated at 215hp that i still have, was wrecked due to the temptation to get on it.

Like someone else stated, My driving method differs when I'm driving my dad or my sisters around. When I'm alone, the speed is different but still right around the speed limit.

But for all means buy it for yourself, and you can surprise him for his 18th, 19th, or even 20th birthday.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:54 PM
stang1101
3rd Gear Member

personally, IMO if he has never driven a sports car a Cobra is a lot of power for a 17 year old. I bought my Mach 1 myself when I was 17, and the power was more then enough.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 AM
wytekraka
1st Gear Member

damn, wish i could have afforded a brand new mustang when i was 17 like it seems a lot of you have. damn. but i don't think the averegae 17 yr old is ready for a car like that. if he could pay for it himself, that's a different story. cuz i know when you put your money into something, you tend to take care of it better. i don't think when i was 17, and Cobra would have been such a great idea. ****, i street raced my S-10 like it was a Camaro. lol.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

wyte... im in your boat... was 20 when I got my first one, haha... When I was 17 I had my 88' Pontiac Grand Prix! lol
Old 12-06-2008, 04:51 PM
Tundaplaya
1st Gear Member

Thank you everyone everyone for your help. Your comments and opinions all make sense. As for now things are very much up in the air. As far as a kid paying for their car I totally agree. He will be paying half of whatever car we get as well as pay for gas. I dont want him to pay for too much because I dont want him working all the time. School and sports are what I would rather him be focusing on rather than him worrying about makeing payments. Thanks again for all your help. I will keep you guys informed. I plan to try and sneak a drive tomorrow while my son is at his friends. We will see.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:40 PM
RedRave
1st Gear Member

Im sorry but im going to blunt and to the point. As a father of 3 children there is no way in hell my son at 17 would even get near a car like a cobra. Seriously would u give a baby a loaded gun then send them to bed with it its the same thing. Take a look at this link http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...-5-killed.html I went through this in high school back in the 80's when a grandfather gave his grandson a 80's 5.0 stang and the kid didnt even have it a month and wrapped it around a tree post with 2 friends in the back. All 3 of them didnt make it. Thats a 17 year investment dont forget that. When my kids get there drivers lisence im driving them to a auto wreckers like my father did when i got mine and show them what happens when u lose respect with a car as it can go ugly fast. Get him a slow boring car and let him get some seat time with a car.

Last edited by RedRave; 12-10-2008 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Grabber
5th Gear Member

Just to chime in a bit. A Cobra is not an easy car to drive by any means. I don't care how man years you've been driving manual. A Cobra is a totally different animal. At his age, that is too much of a car. I'd be more worried about him wrecking it and hurting himself. A Stockish GT would be good for him. They are very easy to drive, and are not monsters. Good luck!
Old 12-11-2008, 06:16 PM
REDVENM

Default 03 Cobra, 10th Anniversary Edition For Sale

Tundaplaya,

I'm selling my Terminator, Red Convert, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, K&N Cold air, garage kept, 48K miles, never been bumped or bruised, excellent condition.
20K firm You can see pics on cars.com.

REDVENM
Old 12-11-2008, 08:09 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by REDVENM
Tundaplaya,

I'm selling my Terminator, Red Convert, SLP Loudmouth Exhaust, K&N Cold air, garage kept, 48K miles, never been bumped or bruised, excellent condition.
20K firm You can see pics on cars.com.

REDVENM
Yes that makes sense buy a more expensive car from someone on the forum that has made 1 post. Deffinatly don't buy the 3k cheaper car from a family member that would just be stupid
Old 12-12-2008, 06:11 AM
xxkazp3rxx
6th Gear Member

dude Bramas.. didn't you know.. people on the internet are very trust worthy.. why dont you go ahead and post your SS#, DL# and debit card# online for me... THANKS! appreciate it!!!!

(Disclaimer: IT WAS A JOKE)

Quick Reply: Possibly looking into an 03 Cobra....Need Advice