SVT Forums

Maximum RWHP of '03/'04 Cobras w/ stock blower?

Old 06-02-2005, 04:19 PM
Will82

Default Maximum RWHP of '03/'04 Cobras w/ stock blower?

Hi, new to the forum and this is my first post. I own a 2002 Corvette, and usually have no problem handling anything I run into on the highway. I always tell my buddy that as long as I don't run into a Viper or a modded Cobra, I'll be OK. I have raced two stock '03/'04 Cobras, and by the time I hit 150mph both times they were well in my rear view. Anyway, on the way to work the other day, after 2 years of ownership and 0 losses, I finally ran into a modded Cobra. I have no way of telling waht exactly was done to it, but when I was doing 120 and he screamed past me I could definately tell it had headers/exhaust. So I'm probably sure he also had intake/chip as well. The guy didn't totally leave me behind, so he might not have modified the supercharger, but he also may have let off since he already had me beat.

Anyway, I managed to go 2 years spending minimal $$$ on mods, but after seeing/hearing the awesome sound and power of forced induction hand me my @$$, I have a serious case of mod fever and am planning to install a supercharger in a few months. What I am wondering is how much rwhp modded cobras with the stock blower ported/smaller pulleys generally make. I have heard that without paying for an aftermarket blower, porting the stock blower and doing all the bolt-ons generally peaks around 500 rwhp. Is this correct? I can install a blower only without changing anything else on my car and get to around 470-480 rwhp with conservative boost. Aerodynamics, weight, and gearing should make up for the rest at speeds between 100-160mph. I'm hoping not to have to go into the internals at this point.

Thanks for any info in advance. I'm hoping to get an '03/'04 Cobra withing the next year and a half as a daily driver, so I'll probably need some advice/help on modding it. Until then I'll be lurking. And if the owner of the maroon/dark red Cobra in Jax who flew by me earlier this week on 9A near Baymeadows Rd. is a member of this forum, congrats on a bad@$$, sweet sounding/looking ride. I was definately impressed, and If I ever get any free time between work and college, I'd like to take a closer look.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:23 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Maximum RWHP of '03/'04 Cobras w/ stock blower?

Must not be many fast cars out your way. Most pulley/bolt-on Cobra's run high 11's to bottom 12's. There is a few who've went quite a bit faster with the stock Eaton. But they're not putting down more hp. They're just lighter and every bit of their power down.

Most, with the stock Eaton, put down 460-480rwhp. That's with bolt-ons and a pulley swap.

If you get a power adder of any type, you won't have to worry about many stock Eaton Cobra's outrunning you.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:30 PM
Will82

ORIGINAL: 98LS1

Must not be many fast cars out your way.
I've wondered about this. I think it's just a freak coincidence that it hasn't happened before. I switched jobs 6 months ago, and now my daily commute has changed from not leaving my neighborhood to 35 minutes of mostly highway and 2 lane rd. driving, some I'm having a lot more fun lately.

Nice looking TransAm!

I just looked at SLP's site. Under $2,700 for around 500rwhp!!! Damn I wish upgrades for the'vette were that cheap.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:33 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

Thanks man. Get a dry nitrous kit and a couple bolt-ons. That'll plant you in the 11's and you won't have to worry about many Cobra's.

EDIT: stay away from SLP! Over priced, under quality.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:48 PM
Will82

As far as bolt-ons go, I have B&B Bullets Exhaust and Vortex Ram Air Intake. I'm going to add headers and maybe a ported throttle body or BBK 80mm TB. I want to avoid N02 b/c I want the extra power to be there all the time. I have a real addiction to speed and performance, and even when no one is around I like to open it up. That's the main reason I put up with the high $$$ of the 'vette. There's nothing like the rush of taking a broad curve at 100mph and sticking to the inside like glue. I definately respect Cobras and their power and ease of modification, and I hope to get one sometime in the near future. But it's still a car that is mainly a 6 cylinder passenger car in design, as far as height, weight, aerodynamics, suspension, handling etc. It would be cool if Ford would make performance oreinted changes to the body of the Cobras rather than mere styling subtleties. Oh well. Unforunately all of the American manufacturers are Dumb. In 20 years I could be driving a Toyota Corvette at the rate things are going.
Old 06-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Black04COBRA
2nd Gear Member

The fastest recorded stock blower time is from a guy on svtperformance.com. He had all the bolt ons + I believe either a 50/60 shot of n20. 10.49@13x.xx.

Can't remember the exact mile or his dyno #'s but you'll get more info on that site.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:18 PM
98LS1
6th Gear Member

It's probably Broke7....he drives the **** out of the car. Goes 1.5x short times and has done all the lightening he can. Car runs like a SOB.

Like I said, most of them you run into are high 11, bottom 12 cars. Just like the one in the vid I posted that ran me.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:59 PM
99saleen351r
4th Gear Member

You have an 02 stock vette and are beating everything around?Jees you need to come up here there are hondas that would be so far in front you wouldnt be able to see them!And I think you'll be surprised how good a 03/04 cobra handles,thats why they have IRS.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:45 AM
Will82

ORIGINAL: 99saleen351r

You have an 02 stock vette and are beating everything around?Jees you need to come up here there are hondas that would be so far in front you wouldnt be able to see them!And I think you'll be surprised how good a 03/04 cobra handles,thats why they have IRS.
There are plenty of modded ricers around here that are quick from light to light. But once you get on the highway and play it's a different story. They just run out of power. I raced a modded, 12 1/2sec Eclipse with N02 on the highway once. He was on my tail until about 120mph. Then it just seemed like he hit a wall. With the weight, aero, and gearing of 'vettes, even in close to stock trim they can effortlessly reach 150-160mph.

Nice looking Saleen by the way!

What is the difference between a Saleen or Roush and a Cobra. Do Saleens/Roushs have changes to the engine's internals?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:18 AM
AllVenom
3rd Gear Member

I love playing with Vettes, they are so much fun to beat up on, at least the ones who will actually race. I had 3 passengers on the freeway and effortlessly pulled away from one up until around 140 when I shut down. You must be facing stock Cobras all the time (which is hard to believe, they are so much fun to mod) because I have plenty of get up and go between 80 and 140 and only a 05 Viper pulled away from me at that speed.

But in any case, this message isn't to rip you (at least you said you were getting a Cobra soon), I love Vettes and the drivers are typically nicer since they are older drivers (however harder to find to race). If you really want to find out more info, someone already mentioned it, but the best place is svtperformance.com. There are guys running some sick cars there, in fact I feel slow after reading some of the posts...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maximum RWHP of '03/'04 Cobras w/ stock blower?