SVT Forums

Replace motor mounts on 96 Cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 05:30 PM
D_Young_65

Default Replace motor mounts on 96 Cobra

I just had the clutch replaced on my 96 Cobra and was informed the the motor mounts need to be replaced.
The mounts are $75.00 and the labor is $500.00.
I have moderate mechanical skills and the Chiltons manual, but was told the A/C needs to be removed and various other accessories need to be removed as well.
Also was told the oil cooler is leaking and that coolant from the radiator may get into the oil system as a result.
I just changed the oil and saw no milky oil as a result from water or coolant in the system. This is a VERY reputable shop but I just do not have the $$ they want to fix it, HELP!!!
Old 02-24-2009, 07:14 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

well start with the oil cooler i wouldnt doubt its leaking cause it has on my car and my buddies and a few others around me itll get worse and worse till its spewing oil...there is a big o ring that you replace between the oil cooler and oil adapter, and a wierd looking one between the the adapter and the block its prolly not that one though so go to ford and get the huge o ring and a 12mm hex you will have to drain both oil and coolant prepared to get wet lol...

doing the mount all depends on how you want to do it, what we did was put a strap under the engine across the oil pan you have to have the oil cooler off for thing and the strap will lay across the adapter...you can also support it with a jack on the front of block and the oil pan but the strap is much better

its a big job it will take a weekend and you do need an assortment of tools engine hoist or a couple jacks and many more jack stands

this is just how we did it but there are some other ways if you want more detail on doing it just ask or PM me
Old 02-24-2009, 10:41 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

You can do it without pulling the engine or the transmission, and possibly without removing the a/c. You use the threads in the heads for putting the engine removal brackets(or wrap chains around the exhaust manifold.) Then put 4x4s under the engine so that it doesnt crush your hands. This is actually quite difficult to do and you would probably be better off pulling the engine but I thought id post so you know its possible, just not easy.There is much much more to this than Ive typed, but you should be able to get the basics of it.If you have no experience with these things than its better to leave it to the pro's.AND MAKE SURE TO CHANGE THE MOUNTS SOON horrible things can happen if you wait too long like me.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:38 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

my dad didnt change his on one of his old company cars he went over a railroad track and so did the engine ripped the oil pan right off cracked the block when it hit the ground and so on....
Old 02-26-2009, 07:10 PM
Ehmark
3rd Gear Member

sounds slightly familiar...