SVT Forums

Sigh...come on in fellas... i might have some new plans as well.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
well honestly doing the turbo is not that big of a deal, if you have time and patience. Also if you have a pipe bender you have got it made. Keep in mind you will need to buy a welder.. but thats lifetime tool and youll suck at welding at first, but with a little work youll get better at it. What mfj says is true to an extent, but when your working on this you wont like stuff like that happen, I have also seen people use a "pipe sleeve" in order to make sure the interior of the pipe is as clean as possible. The turbo will be the cheapest thing you can do, but also the most labor intensive. Unless your willing to commit alot of time into this, then as stated above your better off with a bolt on type kit.
I do have acess to a welder, and no its not a cheap one, same one my dad welded a rollcage in his dirt track car with.
and that line in bold makes me happy . I do not mind putting in the work, esp if i can save money by doing the work, hopefully i can find a decent kit,

Originally Posted by mfj
All Stock Cobra Cranks are forged...
This is correct, but i would like to get some idea of a power rating, enough to the point i wouldn't have to worry about it? 700+?

I think my goal as of right now is to find a nice deal and pull the trigger on a D-1SC, or a turbo kit, that way i'll know for a fact that im going F/I and i can buy my forged rotating assembly and cams?(maybe) to match.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Fobra
Banned

well the point is that you dont need a "turbo kit" you can just piece it together. Yes all cobra cranks are forged, and since you've already got one, roll with it. But I have never seen nor heard of the stock iron breaking. On the cold side you need to be able to weld aluminum or be able to notch or flange the ends of the pipes in order to put couplers and tie downs on that will not be able to blow off. On the hot side its just mild steel, no biggie
Old 03-11-2009, 08:21 PM
mfj
Banned

I have never seen a stock Cobra crank break. They have gone PAST 1000rwhp...
Old 03-11-2009, 08:30 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Fobra
well the point is that you dont need a "turbo kit" you can just piece it together. Yes all cobra cranks are forged, and since you've already got one, roll with it. But I have never seen nor heard of the stock iron breaking. On the cold side you need to be able to weld aluminum or be able to notch or flange the ends of the pipes in order to put couplers and tie downs on that will not be able to blow off. On the hot side its just mild steel, no biggie
good to know, i'll probably have a friend to the aluminum welding i have a few who are certified. Anyone got like a DIY Turbo kit link? lol.

Also, what kind of base turbo specs should i be looking at as far as just the turbo goes? I am a little lost as to the compatability of turbos themselves with different cars.

Originally Posted by mfj
I have never seen a stock Cobra crank break. They have gone PAST 1000rwhp...
good to know, saving me a little bit of money.

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 03-11-2009 at 08:34 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:52 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

fresh rebuilt 76mm Turbonetics
Polished housing, tag from being freshened/tested at Turbonetics. Still in the box!
76mm
.81 AR
T4

i feel like such a newb, because i am when it comes to f/i, would this work on my car? I'd imagine it would and i'd have to fab a kit up to it.

also what do you think is a good price for this?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:12 PM
mfj
Banned

For that refurbished turbo, you will probably be looking at around a $1k. That turbo itself should support around 800rwhp. If I were you, I'd go with an 80 or 88mm turbo in a t6 housing (turbonetics y2k series). It still spools relatively quickly, and you can take those turbos past the 1000 rwhp mark...
Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

the guy told me $950 shipped, i think i may wait a week and offer him $850, yeah im one of those jackasses

800whp is PLENTY lol i don't think i'll need any more... any idea on how quickly this would spool and when i would start making boost?

also MFJ/BlownSVT what do you guys rev your car to?

oh, anyone wanna ballpark how much the fab of the rest of the kit would run me?

Last edited by SVTeeshirt; 03-11-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:00 PM
mfj
Banned

My car is cammed, and even with the stroker crank, I can take it to 7000 rpms. Also, since I'm running the 3.4 whipple, with such a large pulley (3.5), I have no issues of OVERSPINNING the supercharger...

Your car will spool FAST with that turbo... Over 800 rwhp on race gas, around 700 -750rwhp on pump, I would say...
Old 03-11-2009, 10:12 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

thats plenty... Im guessing thats with cams as well?
Old 03-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Blownsvt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt
the guy told me $950 shipped, i think i may wait a week and offer him $850, yeah im one of those jackasses

800whp is PLENTY lol i don't think i'll need any more... any idea on how quickly this would spool and when i would start making boost?

also MFJ/BlownSVT what do you guys rev your car to?

oh, anyone wanna ballpark how much the fab of the rest of the kit would run me?
i have the same turbo excpet with a .96 ar. the .81 will help it to spool a little faster. is it the BB version or journal bearing? I haver the BB version. new they are $2,230. Mine starts to spool at aboud 3700 or so with full spool in the low 4000's. the .81 will spool a little sooner but will rob you of some highend power. I may be pulling my turbo off here soon if the wife will ok me on the new one. my turbo will support 950 crank mid 800's to the wheel.

No reason to go t-6 unless you are after over 1000 whp. the y2k88 does not spool till 5000 rpm on a cobra motor. thats what mark had on his car.

Quick Reply: Sigh...come on in fellas... i might have some new plans as well.