SVT Forums

Transmission Dropped and Question.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:18 AM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Default Transmission Dropped and Question.

I was wondering if I should swap out my Input shaft to a 26 spline and also replace the TOB sleeve retainer. I'm not planning on making anymore than the stock 367rwhp for a while till I get a steady job.

It wasn't really a tough job to drop it, just need a set of 4 hands and the will to do it. The toughest run in was with the damn header-to-midpipe nut. Stripped one and couldn't find any space to maneuver my hands to remove it.
I had to first remove the transmission(after the removal of the driveshaft of course), then came the starter, and finally the bell housing. Once everything was out of the way, I got some vice grips, and vice gripped the **** out of it.

I never felt so accomplished after removing that bolt.
After I removed the x pipe, the flywheel was next in being removed.

The parts I need to purchase:
-Ball stud (has some scratches/gouges on it)
-26 spline input shaft (not yet sure though)
-TOB sleeve retainer (also not sure yet)
-Throw Out Bearing
-Pilot bearing since its pretty cheap in costs
-1 quart of transmission fluid
-Thread locker/loc tite
-Damaged bolts/nuts
-Flywheel
-Clutch Kit w/ aligner tool

I have a used flywheel/clutch set up, but I'm not throwing that on.

Here are some pics of the process so far:

x pipe was nearly the last thing to come off.

Took the seat off to have an extra accommodation in the garage, pretty heavy too. I'd say a good 45-50 lbs.

The only thing I'm deciding on is if should upgrade to a 26 spline input shaft and a TOB retainer sleeve.

What flywheel can I use with a Centerforce clutch? I found out that the OEM one will need to be replaced.

I also removed my bassani ss catback to sand it down and give it a good polish like the one over in svtp.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:56 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

You show bolt who boss! haha....

Thats funny how your doing everything and you buddy is like falling asleep in the seat from your car. IDK if I missed it but did you say you went with a CF clutch?
Old 05-30-2009, 11:58 AM
mfj
Banned

Yeah, I was about to say... If you get the 26 spline, then you have to get a new clutch, lol... Don't do it, unless you plan on some big HP modifications in your future...

Just pick up an aluminum flywheel from Lethal Performance... Ask for Jared and said Martin referred you...

You are a strikingly handsome man! Want to cuddle?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:33 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

I haven't picked up a clutch yet, that is why I'm deciding on either to replace the stock input shaft with the 26 spline unit since the transmission is already out. I'm not sure yet though since I will be at the stock hp for the rest of the year.

How can I get in contact with him? Is he on this forum?
Old 05-30-2009, 12:39 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

He is on these forums but rarely checks him PM's on here. The best way to get in contact with him is on SVTP. Jared's name over there is "black03" or you can just call lethal and ask to talk to him.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:53 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

Alright thanks.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:56 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

well at least the camera guy didnt fall asleep.

also, your stock flywheel can be "rebuilt" ... its made by McLeod and they can rebuild it for you, only costs $125 (they are Local, they have a #714 http://www.mcleodind.com/about_us.html)

also, yes as long as your under there, swap out the TOB sleeve.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:37 PM
562cobra
5th Gear Member

I'm pretty much dead set on a Centerforce clutch kit, and say that their clutches are not recommended for use with the OEM flywheel.

Anybody have any insight on this?
Old 05-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

Yes.

Get a Ford Racing, RAM, or Centerforce Billet Steel Flywheel. They are far more forgiving on a street car, plus they will help your 60's at the track due to heavier rotating inertia. I currently run a DFX, Ford Racing Steel combo with great results. I say upgrade your input shaft anf TOB retainer. It will give you piece of mind when you start modding in the future. I personally witnessed my good friend destroy an input shaft at the track with just a whipple upgrade. (Like 600 rwhp). So if you plan on modding at all, now is the time to upgrade clutch and tranny...while it's out.

And don't waste your money on a new ball stud, take a dremel and give it a deburr job, it takes like 2 seconds and saves you 30 bucks.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

hey man how hard was that to do on jack stands? I'm about to replace my clutch and im getting tired of waiting on a friend with a lift, any input? thanks

Quick Reply: Transmission Dropped and Question.