Oil change or Not?? - Page 2 - MustangForums.com

Notices
SVT Forums

Oil change or Not??

Old 06-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

...you don't have to change, BUT I would....oil cheap insurance!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:01 PM
high_up1

i'm with timspony. You don't have to change it. the guy saying about the water condensing is correct however if you run the car for an hour or so at temperature it will evaporate the water, no questions. driving the car 15-20 min a day is much worse on the oil then sitting for 6 months. the constant heating and cooling causes much more condensation than just sitting. however oil is cheap insurance. take it for what you want.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:06 PM
plo_luv
1st Gear Member

okay, but how about the procharger oil??
Old 06-09-2009, 10:34 PM
mfj
Banned

Originally Posted by Smokin04 View Post
CHANGE IT!!!!!

Oil is a fluid. Fluids condense when sitting for long periods of time. Condensation builds up and falls back into the oil. Oil and water don't mix, so in essence your oil is now probably 10% watered down. As cheap as oil is, it's far cheaper than replacing a motor or blower head unit due to bad oil. I'm getting ready to come back from Iraq myself after 6 months. I'm changing all my fluids before I'll even start the car up...it's especially important on a turbo car.

If you guys want to do a little science experiment, put some motor oil in a clear plastic cup with a lid and put it in a window sill for a few months. Check on it occasionally to see just how much water it accumilates. Brake fluid is especially important to change/flush as brake fluid absorbs moisture/humidity in the air.
Only true to objects exposed to atmosphere and the elements, however this does not apply to conditions sealed off from the elements, such as inside the the engine. Where you got your 10% figure boggles my mind, and is laughable at best, no offense.

Take for instance, if you have a open can of oil sitting in your garage for 6 months, yeah, it might have a minescule amount of water moisture, due to condensation cycles, however if you have a sealed bottle of oil sitting in your garage for 6 months, it is still just as good as it was when you put it there... Are you kind of catching my drift?

As far as your little science experiment; it is completely inaccurate. A pale of water (even sealed with a plastic lid) will lose water through evaporation, and will eventually get lighter... Not the opposite.

Oh, and you should be fine with using the same size belt. The tensioner will compensate for the slightly smaller pulley.

Last edited by mfj; 06-09-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:22 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

10% was just a figure I guessed at for having 6 months worth of sit time. Regardless of how much condesation builds up, there will still be water in it.

And of course the water will evaporate in a non-sealed container...you wouldn't get condensation in a non-sealed container. I was just trying to illustrate the point that fluids generate moisture through condensation, or absorb moisture if they're hydraulic in nature. This does break down their effectiveness at their specific job. While it wont make you engine fail catastrophically upon start up, it will hurt longevity.

Ever taken an engine apart that was sitting for 6 months in a humid climate? You will find rust in certain places...simply due to the moisture that is ingested through the air.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
mfj
Banned

10% was just a figure I guessed at for having 6 months worth of sit time. Regardless of how much condesation builds up, there will still be water in it.

And of course the water will evaporate in a non-sealed container...you wouldn't get condensation in a non-sealed container. I was just trying to illustrate the point that fluids generate moisture through condensation, or absorb moisture if they're hydraulic in nature. This does break down their effectiveness at their specific job. While it wont make you engine fail catastrophically upon start up, it will hurt longevity.

Ever taken an engine apart that was sitting for 6 months in a humid climate? You will find rust in certain places...simply due to the moisture that is ingested through the air.
You trying to teach me about this, is like me trying to teach you ballet. Oil has no water content. Due to the Law of Conservation of Energy, matter can neither be created, nor destroyed. That means if there is no water in the oiled locations of the engine, that would require moisture to somehow enter the system, in order for any to exist there. The only possible way of that happening, is water moisture entering through some openings, such as an oil cap or dipstick location. 6 months is not enough time for ANY significant amount of moisture to enter that system, when sealed off from the elements. We are NOT talking about inside a cylinder wall, or inside the heads, where combustion happens. We are talking about AFTER the piston rings, where the oil actually sits in an engine.

Yes, I have seen rusted engines, that have been sitting in humid climates, but if everything is sealed off, the only rusted parts are the outside of the block, and then inside the cylinder walls and heads. If the "oil" compartment of the engine is sealed off, there will be no rust, for a number of reasons. One, no significant amount of moisture can enter the system, and 2, rust (iron oxide) requires OXYGEN to EXIST...
Old 06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

You're right...it's physically not possible at all, ever, for pressurized air (that contains moisture) to enter a breather or dipstick tube and get past piston rings.

I Agree to disagree and will leave it at that.

http://www.carjunky.com/news/motor_oil/mom2.shtml Read the last two paragraphs...

http://www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html Read "How often should I change my engine oil?"

And just for the sake of gee whiz...a matter/anti-matter collision destroys matter in the form of energy.

Last edited by Smokin04; 06-10-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:29 PM
mfj
Banned

And just for the sake of gee whiz...a matter/anti-matter collision destroys matter in the form of energy.
Well I'm pretty sure that black holes (anti-matter) do not exist within in your engines, so the Law of Conservation of Energy still applies...

Law of Conservation of Energy is for Energy, Matter, and how they interact with themselves. Anti matter is not addressed in the law. But good point!

I'm done here, lol... But I enjoyed the debate!

And I NEVER said NEVER. Within a 6 month period of sitting, the amount of moisture that may enter the system is COMPLETELY AND UTTLERLY insignificant... Just like a capped bottle of oil that has been opened once. 6 months is nothing... And like I said, that 10% water figure that you gave is RUBBISH in it's purest form... Might be closer to 0.1%

Last edited by mfj; 06-10-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:34 PM
mfj
Banned

Just wanted to add, that the links you provided had nothing to do with an engine that has been sitting, without start up for 6 months. If ANYTHING, I might be more concerned with the gasoline quaility, than the oil...
Old 06-10-2009, 09:22 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

i like our new smilies

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil change or Not??

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.