SVT Forums

what are your thoughts on the 2003-04 cobra?

Old 07-02-2009, 04:35 PM
Projectquick
5th Gear Member

The 03/04 cobras are the american supra, IMO. You can throw a relatively low amount of money at them and they can throw down some really impressive numbers. If you do get one, I'd spend the extra money on getting a low milage one that some older guys owned. Like mustang3GT07 said, those two little mods help the very few factory weaknesses.
Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 PM
evo eater
2nd Gear Member

well i was doing some looking online and i found the
kit from slp. any thoughts on the kit? it says it bumps
it to 575hp. now idk how much of that is true, i could see
maybe like 475-485. but to jump from 390 to 575, with
just this kit? http://www.neweraperformanceparts.co...E&PKV=m31050|0
Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

O also remember when you change pullies, to also do a dyno tune. Even with a canned tune your motor can go BOOM!

Im not a fan of SLP products, I say piece together you own parts.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 PM
evo eater
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
O also remember when you change pullies, to also do a dyno tune. Even with a canned tune your motor can go BOOM!

Im not a fan of SLP products, I say piece together you own parts.
any reason why you dont like SLP?
what are the best things to start with?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:14 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by evo eater
any reason why you dont like SLP?
what are the best things to start with?
Best things to start with are:

IRS Brace
Head Cooling Mod
Catback
Intake
BF 2.76 pulley
Sct Handheld
Dyno Tune

The reason I don't like SLP Products and the diablo tuner in that kit, Let me remind you I have first hand experience with their products along with friends.

SLP Catback - Comes in a ton of pieces which in return can leak, since its all clamped together. Also it is very raspy and IMO sounds like crap

SLP Midpipe - Hangs way to low, The cats on it (if you get it catted) are not very well made and my buddy has replaced 4 cats so far on a new catted midpipe and he bought it brand new from slp.

SLP Longtubes - Again the collectors hang 2 low compared to other brands. For the same price you can get ARH (which I got) or Kooks for about the same price and have way better quality then SLP. Also their headers are not constructed out of the highest grade stainless steel.

Diablo Tuner - As you build you car and you need a dyno tune you will find out not many tuners like the Diablo and Prefer the SCT.

Also when you find a tuner he will usually give you a good deal on a package which includes a SCT Handheld Tuner + Dyno tune. Hope all this info helps.

Lethalperformance is a great place to buy everything you need and they have A+ customer service. Jared himself at Lethal has a Terminator so he knows which parts work best and which don't.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
evo eater
2nd Gear Member

Best things to start with are:

IRS Brace
Head Cooling Mod
Catback
Intake
BF 2.76 pulley
Sct Handheld
Dyno Tune

The reason I don't like SLP Products and the diablo tuner in that kit, Let me remind you I have first hand experience with their products along with friends.

SLP Catback - Comes in a ton of pieces which in return can leak, since its all clamped together. Also it is very raspy and IMO sounds like crap

SLP Midpipe - Hangs way to low, The cats on it (if you get it catted) are not very well made and my buddy has replaced 4 cats so far on a new catted midpipe and he bought it brand new from slp.

SLP Longtubes - Again the collectors hang 2 low compared to other brands. For the same price you can get ARH (which I got) or Kooks for about the same price and have way better quality then SLP. Also their headers are not constructed out of the highest grade stainless steel.

Diablo Tuner - As you build you car and you need a dyno tune you will find out not many tuners like the Diablo and Prefer the SCT.

Also when you find a tuner he will usually give you a good deal on a package which includes a SCT Handheld Tuner + Dyno tune. Hope all this info helps.

Lethalperformance is a great place to buy everything you need and they have A+ customer service. Jared himself at Lethal has a Terminator so he knows which parts work best and which don't.
ok cool thank you. i still have my tuner from when i had my gt. it'll work fine with the cobra right? my dad works at a stell shop so i could always tig weld it all together so there wouldnt be any leaks.
if you dnt mind me asking how do you have 1st hand experience with there products?
just buying them and using them in the past? if so thank you very much for the heads up!

everyone i talk to says the IRS sucks. what do you think of it?
Old 07-02-2009, 06:59 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by evo eater
ok cool thank you. i still have my tuner from when i had my gt. it'll work fine with the cobra right? my dad works at a stell shop so i could always tig weld it all together so there wouldnt be any leaks.
if you dnt mind me asking how do you have 1st hand experience with there products?
just buying them and using them in the past? if so thank you very much for the heads up!

everyone i talk to says the IRS sucks. what do you think of it?
I had full slp exhaust on my mach1 and didn't care for it. I also felt that their products didn't fit very well. I was constantly battling with the catback to get it to fit right. I believe the tuner you had on your GT WILL NOT work on your cobra.

I actually love my IRS. Sure it has alot of wheel hop but once you put some nice tires on the rear and replace all the bushings in the IRS the hop is gone and you have a very nice ride. It is also great if you ever want to do road racing or auto x. Plus the exhaust looks badass from the rear with a IRS!

Go on youtube and search exhaust clips from Mac, Borla and Bassani. All 3 sound so badass and better then SLP. But everyone has a different taste in sound.

Last edited by Mustang3GT07; 07-02-2009 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
evo eater
2nd Gear Member

I had full slp exhaust on my mach1 and didn't care for it. I also felt that their products didn't fit very well. I was constantly battling with the catback to get it to fit right. I believe the tuner you had on your GT WILL NOT work on your cobra.

I actually love my IRS. Sure it has alot of wheel hop but once you put some nice tires on the rear and replace all the bushings in the IRS the hop is gone and you have a very nice ride. It is also great if you ever want to do road racing or auto x. Plus the exhaust looks badass from the rear with a IRS!

Go on youtube and search exhaust clips from Mac, Borla and Bassani. All 3 sound so badass and better then SLP. But everyone has a different taste in sound.
ok cool. ill deff do that.

that sucks that sct tuner wont work w the cobra!!!

i think the IRS would make for a better ride then the sloid rear axle would.

i dnt understand y these cars have such bad wheel hop with the power that they put down?
Old 07-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Xemeth
5th Gear Member

The tuner should work. It should work with any OBDII Ford as long as it was unlocked from the GT before he got rid of it.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:49 PM
Smokin04
2nd Gear Member

I hope nobody takes offense to what I'm about to say:

Mustang3GT07 stated that most tuners don't like the Predator and prefer the SCT. I'm not arguing that, because it is pretty much the truth. The REASON that is; is because most people who claim to be a "tuner" can't use Diablo's Revolution software (Revolution is the most in depth, all encompassing software CURRENTLY available IMO) because the software requires you build a tune from scratch in custom applications. They don't have much experience tuning and they don't want to look foolish by blowing up your ride. So they will take an easier software to operate like SCT (which is NOT bad, thats not what I'm saying, just doesn't REQUIRE scratch tune writing, but it can be done), Sniper (which uses Yes or NO questions to tune with), etc...and claim that it's the "best" out there. Most end users prefer the SCT's because of how they datalog certain parameters ina certain way. IE, SCT's can log MAF counts and disply them as actual MAF counts, Predators can to, they just datalog in MAF g/ms. So you have to convert it mathematically to MAF counts and most folks don't know how to do that so they steer clear. In reality if you take a hand held flash tuner to a shop for a tune and they tell you they don't use Diablo, SCT etc...politely walk away. My point is: A GOOD/REPUTABLE tuner can using ANY software you bring them. Anyone that can't do that, don't use them.

But to the OP:

The only thing Chuck Norris is afraid of is the blower whine of an 04 Cobra.

Dollar for dollar, you can't beat it. That's why I love mine. Save your $$$ and get a KB or whipple. You'll love it.

FWIW, I still have the IRS. I drag race on it, and basically drive the **** out of the car fairly often. I hated it stock, but modded, it's simply amazing. No wheel hop on street tires or slicks, but Nitto 555D/R's make it bounce a little, so I don't use them. I still have stock half-shafts...never broke one launching or racing. I did break an already damaged one doing a burnout though. Mount the pumpkin solid and run good bushings and the IRS will live a long healthy life.

Last edited by Smokin04; 07-02-2009 at 09:58 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what are your thoughts on the 2003-04 cobra?