SVT Forums

Began my search Cobra vs. Saleen

Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 AM
michaelsevilla
2nd Gear Member

Smile Began my search Cobra vs. Saleen

Ok guys, I've been a faithful guy to my mustang gt 04, and my 1988 5.0 hatch-(Which I'll be selling soon)

Story :
I've been building a 300zx TT for awhile now, my expected goals will be 700rwhp+ It'll be a highway monster for sure! It'll be done next month. I've always loved termi's and saleens for their look an potential in being a monster. Alot of poopra owners have basically told me for the money spent on a cobra I could get a supra so I ask myself "Why the **** would I want a car that old? I mean sure its got solid potential? And its a toyota, but its still over 15 years old!"
Well enough about that, I'm in the market to buy either a cobra or a saleen. I know the saleen is a better looker imo, but the cobra is quicker? I've seen saleens supercharged for sale on ebay as well, is that just an added aftermarket part? or do they actually come supercharged?

I just need someone to enlighten me on the saleen, I know a good bit about cobras and did some research and found people have been running twin screw setups and my personal favorite Twin turbo setups as well, But what about the saleen? is the potential for a saleen more than a cobra? I know it depends on your pocket books, But I am looking for

1. one with great potential because threw the months to come will get modded
2. will be very reliable at high hp, And I mean about 600-700rwhp. for D.D. use of course.
3. Just want to know the pros and cons of both.
4. What makes each other different (other than the fancy body kit and rims of the saleen)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by michaelsevilla; 08-01-2009 at 03:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:30 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Firstly you need to be specifically looking for an 03 or 04 Cobra. These are way different machines to all previous "cobras".
Essentially the Cobra is a better bet than a Saleen for a few reasons. Stronger tranny, IRS setup at the rear, big brakes, nice suspension. Also they have a hand built 4.6 32 valve 4 cam motor with Steel crank and forged rods/pistons. it's arguably good for 700hp as a DD although I wouldn't expect it to last 100,000 miles.

The Saleens, like the GT, do not have this motor.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:46 AM
michaelsevilla
2nd Gear Member

Nice info! ^ Thats what I mean! is there anything else I need to know?

2. What about the head ticking issue I've been reading up on? Is this a really bad defect to have?
Old 08-01-2009, 06:06 AM
gadway41
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I can say from experience that the Saleen is an awesome attention getter and makes loads of power. It comes in 3 stages:05 and later

Saleen 3-valve- slight power gain,around 30 hp because of an under drive pulley, appearance package, inside and out, suspension package.330 hp

Saleen Supercharged-SC281- All the above but came with the Saleen Supercharger, hp varied, but from the factory came with 05-400hp,06-435hp,07,08-465hp. The motor wasn't forged, but given the right tune( mine was tuned from JDM- I was at a conservative 475 hp to the wheels.

Saleen Extreme: 550hp out of the box,6-speed,forged internals.All the above, additional ground effects.

I was only really familar with the 05 and later models.

I sold mine mainly because Saleen is in the hands of other owners and I didn't want to get caught not being able to buy parts.

Now why the cobra? The forged internals, 6-speed, handling, hp/tq possibilities, and I don't have to worry about getting parts.
Old 08-01-2009, 11:01 AM
michaelsevilla
2nd Gear Member

Oh wow didn't know that! I actually meant the new edge body style saleen , but perfect info, I made my choice now! Now what about the head ticking issue I've been reading on? Supposely the car ticks ? Is this normal?
Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM
MAD SVT
4th Gear Member

all the ticking problems should be worked out by now..

but the car HAD a problem with the drivers side head, and in 03 only, but ford issued a recall and replaced all the bad heads.

check the build date, if its after 11/03, then it never had the bad head to begin with
Old 08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
03svtcobra12
3rd Gear Member

the cars make similar power stock. thats where it ends.

cobra is a fully forged 4v motor while the saleen is just a stock gt motor with a saleen blower.

Cobra can support way more power with the stock motor than the saleen. get the cobra.
Old 08-01-2009, 04:18 PM
pcs
4th Gear Member

well if you were talking about an s351 new edge saleen i duno. 351w, 6 speed, s/c, solid rear end. lots of potential there too really cheap.
Old 08-01-2009, 05:40 PM
michaelsevilla
2nd Gear Member

http://www.newsonwheels.com/details.aspx?adnum=166979

I'm looking at that one, but than there is a 2004 with 30k miles on it that they are getting this week. I will get one now I'm just searching, do you guys feel like thats a good deal?

Thanks for the help boys I'll be rolling in a terminator soon enough!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
hawwk11
3rd Gear Member

This is waaaaay too crazy. Whats up Mike? I am a member of 3ZC myself, and just sold my TT and am currently in the market for a termi as well.

Good luck on on whatever you get, wish i was as lucky as you to keep my TT but it had to go. I have the same screen name on 3zc as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Began my search Cobra vs. Saleen