SVT Forums

Thermostat/Over Heating

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2009, 07:05 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Defiantly could be the water pump. The water pump is the middle pulley. Should be the largest pulley when you look at the engine. Look straight down from the S/C snout
Old 11-14-2009, 03:15 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

is there anyway to know for sure if its the pump? i mean i changed the stat, flushed all the coolant, kept the stat house open and dumped some fluid and it came running out so the hoses arent clogged, the car idles fine and didnt seem to move at all even after sometime, then as soon as i started ddriving the car started over heating. I see the waterpumps are about $200 and electrics about $400. If i was gonna keep the car i would go electric but im trying to sell it and not spend money on it so ill go belt driven. Now obviously they come with one sdo im sure they should work just fine right? Even so $200 is a lot of money to just guess with. just wanted to know if theres any test or trick to see if the pump is the problem. My bro has a diagnostic computer that hes gonna bring over but dont really think thatll tell me much, pretty sure there for mostly sensors and electrical things along that line correct? Well if someone could give me some info/advice on the waterpump situation id really appreciate it. the one im looking at and would prolly buy if need be was an Evans pump. lethal says there good and only has there pump and an electric one so im sure it should be fine just wanted to throw it out to ask and make sure. thanks guys.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The reason I'm thinking water pump is because you said something about smoke from the front which I assume is steam from water coming out the weep hole on the water pump. which is a sign of a bad pump. But you should start the car grab a flashlight and watch for coolant around the water pump.
I just checked the autozome website and a new water pump is only $50.
and your right your Bro pc is going to tell you nothing
Old 11-15-2009, 01:31 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

i figured....a new waterpump for an 03 cobra is 50 bucks at autozone? how come there so expensive on websites? i undeerstand they gotta make money and there better parts but i ddint think on 03 cobra pump would be that cheap, thats what they cost for the 5.0s, if thats the case ill go there then and see what they have, just didnt think they were that cheap for this car
Old 11-15-2009, 02:39 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

ok cool just talked to AZ and they do have the pumps for $50, thats mint glad i ddint go order one online right off the bat. Now im having a hard time finding the water pump, apparently its not like the 5.0s, everythings so complicated on this car. i mean i cant even see anything that looks like a waterpump. i took the oevrflow tank off to see better and the snout guard. now where the arm is for the belt is that the water pump behind that? i mean theres a big sliver bracket thing that goes from the tension arm all the way across to under the power steering fluid container. then theres another belt behind that im guessing thats the belt for the blower? but that serpentine belt runs over the pulley on top of the blower (the snout), i donno man im confused and getting pissed. Im retarded with these cars the 5.0s and all others were so much simpler. if someone could describe exactly where it is or get a picture up and point to it somehow id appreciate it and then maybe i can figure out where the hell it is and what the hell im doing
Old 11-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I believe you have to take off the SC crank pulley to get to the water pump!
Old 11-15-2009, 08:01 PM
2OO3COBRA
1st Gear Member

yea i mean this car is nothing like the other stangs ive worked on, everythings a mystery. cant tell whats what, so much stuff in there. dont know if its behind the tension arm for belt, below it or what, any help woyuld be appreciated
Old 12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
robert_barnes181

did u ever figure out prob my car is doing same thing