SVT Forums

Pondering....wanting in a cobra. Thoughts?

Old 12-05-2009, 12:00 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

Default Pondering....wanting in a cobra. Thoughts?

So just recently me and my friends started riding street bikes, which unfortunately forced me to sell my notch project, to pay off the debt i owed on the bike. Honestly, i can live with it because the car needed more work than i could handle and i didnt have the tools or much experience to finish it (my stepdad was helping me with it and no longer is) I promised myself that i will be into a mustang by next year or spring of 2011.

A buddy that i ride with, just recently bought a 97 cobra with a procharger. And totally changed my whole perspective on the SN95 body style. Ive always loved the Notch, and the 5.0 motor and would probably end up with some type of FI if i was to get one. But damn that snake he got is just so nice, and i was never a fan of centrifugal superchargers until i saw this one.

Basically, id like to hear what you guys think...would it be better to look for an SN95 cobra or go a cheaper route for a Fox and put more into the motor? Chances are if i look for a Cobra im going to want to probably find one thats supercharged.

Sorry for the long reading. Persuade me...
Old 12-05-2009, 02:14 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

Well one thing to consider is the insurance. Not only is the fox an older car, but it is not a "Cobra" Which just the name in itself jacks up insurance.
Now the newer cars will def. ride a lot better from factory then the fox platform, but the fox has a LOT more aftermarket suport, even though the Sn-95 is catching up.
Another rought you could consider is finding a notch, and then converting it to havea cobra engine in it
That is what im doing right now! i LOVE the engine, and how effeicient it is out of the cobra, but i love the lookof my fox along with the lower insurance

Just some food for thought
Old 12-05-2009, 03:30 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

yea true. Im not too worried about the insurance cost, more on the side of finding a clean car, and id really like to have an SN95 cobra thats already force fed that way i could potentially save a buck. But out course making sure it was properly maintained and done the right way.

i wish i had the technical ability to swap a newer cobra motor into a fox, but even then i think id just want to keep the pushrod style motor in it. If i go the fox route ill most likely have H/C/I etc. then look into a forced induction, but ive heard the newer cobras were alot easier to bolt-on mod and not have to have any follow up headaches.
Old 12-05-2009, 05:28 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

it isnt that bad so far, pretty much just need to pay attention to details.

and when yo uget a modified car... there is almost a guarantee that the car was BEAT on for sure
Old 12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

that is true, i dunno im trying to convince my friend to let me buy it off of him for $7500 next fall. haha

and i just checked out your page, sick 98. i love that body style. not a fan of the GT though, only the cobra. That front bumper is so aggressive. haha
Old 12-05-2009, 06:21 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

ya i wish i still had the 98. Sold it because of insurance and im in college right now and needed a car for a dd. It was just to clean to take down here and have some drunk a$$ hit or key so i decided to part with it.
Still have the fox tho
When i graduate im gona probably look for another 98 cobra, same color.
Old 12-05-2009, 10:40 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

i guess time will tell, i would love to snag his off of him, its got 117k with no rebuild, procharger w a 10 pound pulley, anderson powerpipe, intercooler, 03 cobra replica wheels, mac cat back...some other stuff too, runs good...pulls hard dyno sheet says 425hp. i offered him $7500 next year...which i think is fair. but he thinks differently hah
Old 12-06-2009, 11:15 AM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

You interested in a 2003 Cobra, with twins that runs bellow 10's ? (cant give you an exact time because its a grudge car and i would be shot).
Asking 35,000 for it fully streetable and i think it has close to 100k with price of car in ti
Old 12-06-2009, 04:45 PM
TopNotch89
2nd Gear Member

lmao, yea maybe if i was made out of money. Believe me...if i had the cash to throw around, i would hop on a termi in a heartbeat. Ill have one someday, its a goal. hah
Old 12-06-2009, 10:02 PM
kweb288
5th Gear Member

same here, im starting with just the engine hahahah

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pondering....wanting in a cobra. Thoughts?