SVT Forums

99 MUSTANG COBRA EXHAUST SETUP

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 11:21 PM
300Z5
1st Gear Member

Default 99 MUSTANG COBRA EXHAUST SETUP

i was looking around for a great exhaust setup i had a few people tell me that longtubes with mac prochamber with mac catback, anyone have any better ideas for a a great sounding car that will gain a little more hp
Old 01-13-2010, 11:02 AM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by 300Z5
i was looking around for a great exhaust setup i had a few people tell me that longtubes with mac prochamber with mac catback, anyone have any better ideas for a a great sounding car that will gain a little more hp
Longtubes - If you are going to do longtubes I would only do ARH or Kooks. They are both expensive, but they are stainless steel so they will never rust on you, also you can get them in the 1 3/4th where as bbk and mac only come in 1 5/8th, which is pretty small. Also bbk and mac are not stainless steel, so even if you don't drive you car in rain or snow they will eventually rust from inside-out, which in return you will have to waste more money to buy another set. If money is an issue save up and get youself quality headers that will last.

Midpipe - You can either go off-road with no cats or you can go with a catted pipe that has high flow cats. I reccomend offroad with no cats because you will gain a little more power. I also say go with an X-pipe over an H-pipe. If you buy ARH of Kooks headers, just go with the matching mid-pipe. Lethalperformance usually sells package deals of the headers and midpipe together.

Catback- This is all up to you and what sound you prefer. Cobras sound better and also put out more power numbers if you have a straight thru muffler such as Bassani, Magnaflow, Steeda, and Borla. I have seen dyno sheets and chambered mufflers will not net you much power and Mac and Flowmaster are chambered. Plus they don't sound that good on a 4v, leave Mac and Flowmaster to the 2v and 5.0 guys.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:22 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

+1...couple other things ARH Kooks you can take your clutch off without having to take the headers off whereas mac and bbk you have to take the headers off to change your clutch..some people say that they have been able to work around it but just do it right

Bang for buck with longtubes is not very good...i have looked at me dyno sheets and studies that they have done on our cars with longtubes...you do get minor gains with longtubes but they dont start making good advances till over 700 hp

Lastly the sound. I have an o/r x pipe with borla NOT THE STINGERS!!...i havent heard a complaint since i got it...its sounds aggresive when you in it but it doesnt over exaggerate nor does it under exaggerate i think its the perfect set up for my car but thats all up to your taste start watchin youtube vids
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 PM
300Z5
1st Gear Member

what do you think of stinger borla or bassin dumps instead of cat backs

Last edited by 300Z5; 01-13-2010 at 11:13 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:59 PM
01snake
5th Gear Member

i used to run o/r x and slp 1's with 3" back from slp's and it sounded wicked

i currently am bbk lt's and open o/r x and i love the sound of it so much im just putting turndowns off the x.

if you can afford kooks or slp lt's then go that route
Old 01-14-2010, 06:22 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

i used to be into the loud sounds...i had bassani longtubes with basanni o/rx and slp lm 1's many people loved it and i loved it for awhile cause it was wicked loud...down side was there was no quite side and drew alot of uneeded attention of the cops lol...instead of buying all new i flopped in slp lm 2's and they were alot quiter but were aggressive when your in it...

I have shifted my style to looking for a good sound rather then just out there like the lm 1's were...borla stinger are gonna give the same round about sound of lm 1's its gonna very loud and open sounding...where as my set up now can be quiet but when im in it its deep and just sounds like power...now im not saying that the other dont cause they do but im going towards a deeper gargle rasp then a screaming cackle

i havent heard bassani dumps but i have heard regular bassani with o/r x and longtubes and i think it sounds like utter crap IMO

Just gotta get a general idea of type of sound you want.

Drag car roar/ scream of power- loudmouths 1's, stingers, super 44's, magnapack
OR
Deep aggressive nasty street car- borla XR1, loudmouth 2's and superflow, mac

thats just my opinion
Old 01-14-2010, 06:28 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I ran ARH Longtubes + ARH o/r x + Borla Stingers for awhile and I hated it. It was so loud and raspy it didn't even sound like a mustang, sounded more like a pist off ls1 lol.

Now I am running ARH Longtubes + ARH o/r x + Steeda Catback and it is loud and deep. Tame while cruising and on the highway but loud when you go WOT.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:33 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

never heard steeda in person they seem like there pretty good
Old 01-14-2010, 06:36 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
never heard steeda in person they seem like there pretty good
It is the same thing as the Quiet Borla exhaust but it is not polished and about 300$+ cheaper lol. Borla make it for steeda and they just stamp the steeda logo on it.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:23 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

oh ok did not know that..so it prolly sounds the same as mine...technical question i have a SRA so i dont have the typical cobra exhaust do you think thatll make a sound diff

Quick Reply: 99 MUSTANG COBRA EXHAUST SETUP