SVT Forums

which Supercharger would best fit me?

Old 03-11-2010, 12:26 PM
96svtC0BRA

Thumbs down which Supercharger would best fit me?

With me being in the market for a used blower for my 96 cobra. I was talking to a guy i do Body Work for and we got on the subject of force induction with my car. I told him i was looking for a vortech S-trim being that i know that supercharger will work with my xcal 3 flash tuner.

He began to tell me that a centrifugal supercharger may peak me at say 7-8lbs, but wont make that power till higher in the RPM. He told me a turbo charger would be more efficient and make full boost sooner rather then a centrifugal. He said if i wanted to go with a supercharger i should go for a Root's style blower rather then vortec. Also, if i plan to exceed 450 wheel, other then the fact i have to change the rods internally, i probably wont be able to make more then 450 to the wheels on a supercharger.

This guy is kind of a "joe Shmoe" so i thought i'd come here and ask. He's got my head spinning all sorts of directions and am scared to buy anything now. Can someone give me a rundown to what each supercharger's "pro's & Con's"?

And what SC will work other the the S-trim with my xcal.

thanks.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:41 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

Your going to make your multi thousand dollar buying decision based on a $300 piece of hardware that you already own? OK makes sense I guess
And why are you under the impression that your SCT only works with a certain supercharger?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
1SVTLVR
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
Your going to make your multi thousand dollar buying decision based on a $300 piece of hardware that you already own?
+1! Forget your tuner, buy what forced induction product best fits your application/expections and THEN worry about a tuner. Dynotuner would be the best bet, don't rely on preprogrammed hand tuners if you look to make serious power!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:23 PM
Moonshine
5th Gear Member

Sounds like you should go with a simple bolt on centri. Vortech is pretty good. I've seen some impressive numbers with centri's. Turbo is going to cost you a substantial amount of money. Roots would be cool as well...but why count out the centri?

Here's a cheap centri DIY writeup. $1500 not too bad to gain some decent numbers and be that guy with a supercharged cobra if you wanna be that guy.

https://mustangforums.com/forum/pipe...-its-done.html

GL bud!
Collin
Old 03-11-2010, 02:21 PM
mfj
Banned

Pretty much, everything that the guy told you, IS CORRECT. A turbo will hit full boost way before a centri supercharger (which makes full boost at redline, lol) and a root/twin screw will get you INSTANT full boost at any rpm over 2000...
Old 03-11-2010, 03:56 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Go with the Vortech SC & have fun....
Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 PM
96svtC0BRA

id much rather get that sooner bost..I know what a twin screw setup is like because i was looking at KB's, but what is a roots type? What's a procharger?
Old 03-12-2010, 06:59 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Twin Screw > Roots

Get a twin screw and do it right the first time, makes much more power than a roots and are much more efficient, only down side is they cost as much as a turbo setup.
Old 03-12-2010, 08:41 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

forget about roots, its almost like a twin screw but not as efficent. Twins screws are... well fun a hell of alot of fun, but they are also expensive, you gotta pay to play. Turbos, again are very expensive if you have to buy a kit and can't fab up the kit yourself which is pretty hard to do. a centri blower is cheap and you still have a fun car. Def the blower to go if you're on a budget, they're are plenty of ppl on this site with centri blowers that love them. The 2 "main" centri blowers if you will are vortech-S trim and procharger p1sc. They are the two "base" centri suprchargers, they're other companies like paxton which makes the novi but for simplicites sake lets leave it at the 2 most common. You def can make more than 450whp through an intercooled set-up and even more if you upgraded your headunit to a T-Trim or a D1SC. You can do this for about $1000 more if you have the urge to build and want more power down the road. These are capable of 20+ lbs of boost, along with the novi2000. Really it depends on what you want out of it and your avaliable funds.
Old 03-12-2010, 10:54 PM
96svtC0BRA

Thumbs down

See, i feel id rather wait a little longer and save up for a twin screw then. I completely image that centri's are nice but i feel if im going to spend thousands of dollars as it is, i might as well get something that will be more efficient power for some more money.

I was told the KB Twin screw kits don't have availabilty for an IC. Who else makes a nice twin screw setup?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: which Supercharger would best fit me?