SVT Forums

How To: Build your own oil catch can

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

Default How To: Build your own oil catch can

I got the idea from a thread on SVTP and decided to do my own write up on building a catch can.

Parts needed:
-From Home Depot (air compressor section)
1. Husky Mini General Purpose Filter (Part # USA Sku: 401-910) (air compressor section) $12.49
2. Calterm Rubber Insulated Clamps 1/2in (Part #67791) (electrical section) $1.37
3. Self Tapping screws. I chose 10x1/2in (nuts/bolts/screw isle) $0 .99
-From Auto Zone
1. OEM Brand 3/8" Hose End (Part #MP3207) $1.99
2. OEM Brand 3/8" Hose Repair Kit (Part #MP3314) $3.99
3. 3ft 3/8" fuel line hose $3.87

Total Spent: $24.70 + tax

You will also need plumbers tape for the threads. I already had some but its pretty cheap.

Tools Needed:
Flat head screw driver / philips head screw driver
Something to cut the fuel hose
1 zip tie
8mm socket or even better a cordless drill with 8mm

Step 1 - Unhook the factory setup. Remove the grey L shape connector on the upper stiff hose. This will not be reused. Replace the factory grey connector with one of the 3/8" hose connectors.

Step 2 - Take your fuel line and slide it over the grey factory connector that goes into the valve cover and run it over towards your drivers side fender. It will loosely attach to some wires there with a zip tie and then double back towards the engine.

Step 3 - Prepare your catch can. The first thing i did was unscrew the clear part and remove the brown filter. It is not needed and there is one philips head screw that needs removed. Once the filter is out screw the two pieces back together. Now take your plumbers tape and wrap the the thread ends on two of the 3/8" hose connectors and thread them into the canister. I also chose to remove all the stickers.

Step 4 - Figure out where you want your canister to be located and cut the hose to length. Slide the hose onto the hose connector hooked to the canister. Attach the short piece that you just cut off to the other side of the canister and run it to the connector you installed in step 1, cutting it to lenth as well. I ended up having about 3-4in left of the initial 3ft hose i bought. You WILL use a clamp on this connection.

Step 5 - At this point all the plumbing is done and its just a matter of securing the hose and canister. Take a rubber hose clamp and cut off one of the holes. This will make it easier to mount.

Now take a self tapping screw and mount the clamp where you see fit. I only used one clamp but you can use both if you'd like. I also put a small piece of 2 sided tape on the back side of the canister.

You're all done! Enjoy your new cheap, effective catch can.

And a pic from where i got the idea...

Last edited by 5SPD07GT; 05-09-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:27 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Nice set-up Nate! ...and thanks for sharing!
Old 05-09-2010, 07:27 PM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

The Husky unit would leak at the check valve on the bottom when I made my own on my car. I have seen other people complain about The Husky not sealing also. I ended up with a Coleman unit. I went a little overboard and used AN fitting and braided line. Be smarter than me and don't clean the bowl with brake cleaner it will make the glass cloudy