SVT Forums

I want to BULLETPROOF my engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 11:34 AM
300Z5
1st Gear Member

right dircection, get a nice stroker kit with forged h beam rods dish top pistons with about 8.5 cr ration and get a single turbo pushing about 15 psi, you should reach the 600rwhp range if not higher
Old 05-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Idiot

Originally Posted by 300Z5
right dircection, get a nice stroker kit with forged h beam rods dish top pistons with about 8.5 cr ration and get a single turbo pushing about 15 psi, you should reach the 600rwhp range if not higher
Thanks bro.

Not sure what 8.5 cr ration is (maybe you meant 8.5:1 ratio??), but I'll try and figure it out. Any recommendations on a good place to look for the stroker kit??

Any recommendations on a blower???

Last edited by Idiot; 05-29-2010 at 01:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2010, 01:47 PM
Idiot

okay so Im looking at a livernois stroker kit. It says 298ci which is 4.9L.

Is this kit for an engine that has been bored over?? Or can I purchase this kit and install it on my stock 96 cobra

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/...ing+Assemblies
Old 05-29-2010, 05:52 PM
mfj
Banned

You can't install anything. The machine shop has to put together and balance your engine.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:13 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

Originally Posted by mfj
My twinscrew doesn't heat soak, lol My IAT2's never got hot on the dyno, pull after pull. The eaton is another story though. :/
but you are I/C'd are you not?

Originally Posted by Idiot
Wow man, thanks so much for taking the time to bring all this down to my level. I really appreciate the help.

MY MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS THIS: Let's say I have a couple grand lying around since I got such a good deal on my car. Once I upgrade the pistons and rods, could I SAFELY add some sort of twin turbo setup?? How much HP could adding a turbo alone yield?

You could see 600whp with the right SIZE turbo, this is very important, many things will factor into how much power you make, getting a port on your heads and intake will make it easier to make more power with less boost or psi(pounds per square inch) which is less stress on your motor. The right size turbo is important because generally(to an extent) the less power you are making the faster your turbo will make boost and the earlier in the RPM range your car will make power. This isn't necessarly a bad thing, it keeps your car out of boost when you are just trying to get to and from somewhere. Also, when you want power it doesn't take long for turbos to spool, turbo lag is very overated, esp on modern turbos.

You say in the post that using NOS with a turbo is essentially pointless unless
a) I make ridiculous power over 1000hp (this won't happen) I would actually like to be around 600 HP some day. I just want to blow the doors off just about ANY chevy that dares stop at a light next to me.

along with power you need suspension to get it to the ground, full length sub frame connectors, upper and lower control arms new springs and a drag radial is a good start (drag radial is a street legal tire, not quite a slick but not quite a street tire, but it is street legal)

b)Unless I use an Eaton style supercharger.

Is Eaton a twin screw?? Because MFJ replies to your post and starts talking about twin screws....

An eaton is a roots style, while they work differently eatons and twinscrews both replace the upper intake manifold or plenum and sit on top of the lower intake.

I enjoy reading your responses guys I'm pretty mechanically minded and I learn fast, so hopefully at some point before I die, I will be able to translate all this language.

A few more questions.

What are you referring to when you call my car a B head?

This is just Fords code for what years came with what style heads, they differ from more recent 4 valve heads, for further information see this sticky...https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-...head-info.html

MFJ--When you refer to a "radical turbo setup" are you saying that you would make a "custom" setup because they don't make an intercooled system for twinscrew turbo on B headed cars?

I ask because "custom" might not mean much to you guys, but I can't do this work on my own, so I'll be paying someone. I'm not broke, but I don't want to spend money that's not needed. Remember 600hp is my goal.
Can anyone point me in the direction of the "best" set of forged rods, pistons???

Its really all preference, i've heard good things about MMR (modular mustang racings) assembly.
Opinions are what forums are all about.

1996 Mustang Cobra

Goal 600HP

Currently--Around 300HP

I replied in bold, for now im gonna go to a friends house and watch the UFC fights, anymore questions just leave it and i'll field em later.

also reguarding the stroker kit, i don't think it is worth it if you are trying to see 600whp, i think the money would be better suited for a port or blower/turbo cams.
Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Idiot

Originally Posted by SVTeeshirt

also reguarding the stroker kit, i don't think it is worth it if you are trying to see 600whp, i think the money would be better suited for a port or blower/turbo cams.
Well, the reason I was thinking about the stroker kit is because I wanted to strengthen the engine with the forged rods and pistons. I don't want to throw a rod or something. Could the engine remain stock and still handle 600hp??

Keep in mind I'm not racing the car. It's my daily driver in the summer, and I jump on the gas good at least once every time I drive it, but I'm not taking it to the strip. I was afraid that my stock engine wouldn't be able to handle the stress of 600hp. So I was thinking about stroker kit then a turbo.

Do you think I could get away with leaving the stock rod's and pistons in the car and just going with a port N polish/blower? Does a port and polish do anything for strengthening the motor?
Old 05-30-2010, 02:43 PM
RedHousePainter
2nd Gear Member

Well, the reason I was thinking about the stroker kit is because I wanted to strengthen the engine with the forged rods and pistons. I don't want to throw a rod or something. Could the engine remain stock and still handle 600hp??

Keep in mind I'm not racing the car. It's my daily driver in the summer, and I jump on the gas good at least once every time I drive it, but I'm not taking it to the strip. I was afraid that my stock engine wouldn't be able to handle the stress of 600hp. So I was thinking about stroker kit then a turbo.

Do you think I could get away with leaving the stock rod's and pistons in the car and just going with a port N polish/blower? Does a port and polish do anything for strengthening the motor?
Your stock engine's connecting rods and pistons can only handle 450rwhp.

Port and Polishing refers to smoothing areas of the cylinder heads/intake to flow more air for more hp. Has nothing to do with strengthening your bottom end.

Your stock transmission will not handle 600hp.

Building your bottom end requires complete engine teardown, and replacement of connecting rods and pistons with aftermarket forged ones.

You seem like you have big dreams but don't know how to obtain them, and that's ok--we've all been there, but before you start asking about how to make ridiculous amounts of horsepower, maybe you should educate yourself on how much money, work, and responsibility come with that. 600 hp is not for the faint of heart, have you ever ridden in a car with just 400 hp? There is alot you have to do to your car to make it capable to handle 600 hp; nevertheless money.

Also, spirited driving on the street and on the track make no difference. Don't tell yourself your gonna be nicer to the car and your not gonna tear it up since your not at the track. I drove up an on ramp the other day and the pedal was smashed, tires chirping, gears rippen. What's hard on your car at the track is hard on it on the street.

Last edited by RedHousePainter; 06-01-2010 at 03:28 PM. Reason: To not sound like a jerk ;)
Old 05-30-2010, 04:39 PM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

No, thats why i said you need forged pistons and rods, standard stroke forged pistons and rods are going to be A LOT cheaper than a stroker kit, and you can use your exisiting crank, and they will be able to handle 600whp without a problem.