SVT Forums

99 Cobra - Spun bearing -what now?

Old 06-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Throttlehog

Unhappy 99 Cobra - Spun bearing -what now?

It is with great sadness that I pose this question:

So, although I haven't yet confirmed this by pulling plugs, I'm almost certain that my 99 Cobra (70,000 miles) has spun a bearing in #8 cylinder. In the meantime, I'm trying to figure out what my options are and have been spending a great deal of time reading posts at a multitude of Mustang forums. What I seem to be seeing the most is: 1. this is not uncommon for this particular year & powerplant. 2. most are advised to either replace the bearing and sell the car quickly or to remove all serviceable parts, toss the block, and start over with a crate or short block. I don't happen to like either of those choices, especially the first. I guess what I want to hear is optimism, and maybe that's a pipe dream - but I'm in love with my Cobra (even though it's a lemon). I don't care if it sounds silly or even girlish - so what...

I don't have money to burn; however, I believe in quality over quantity and that you get what you pay for. I don't plan on using a builder, except for any tasks for which I lack the special tools and/or equipment.

So, all you tuners, modders, and motor masters, with all that in mind, what choices do I have? From the least to the most - I want to hear them all - and if you're feeling especially magnanimous you'll include pros and cons too.
Old 06-01-2010, 01:16 PM
Evenexchange
4th Gear Member

Well... here's a mini story for you. I bought my 2000 GT used with 55,000 miles on it and right after I changed the oil for the first time, I spun a rod bearing. The guy before me masked the knocking bearing with a few quarts of gear oil (70w). So I guess you could always sell your car after you throw some heavy oil in it.

Other than that... you might want to start looking at used long blocks... sorry
Old 06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Well either way its gonna cost a crapload to fix, depending how long it was running after it spun/ how much damage it actually caused. Ive heard of cases where only the bearing needed to be replaced and it was fine, but this would be very lucky. If you caught it right away, the block may be fine, either way its still alot of work/money. Hopefully the mustang gods were looking down on you and its only minor, i know i would try almost anything to save my pony from the slaughter house also.