SVT Forums

New Cobra owner looking for tips/advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 11:46 AM
Kabby

Default New Cobra owner looking for tips/advice

Hey all...I am a first time owner of a Mustang. I bought a 96 Cobra. It is pretty sweet. Stock car, 160K, beautiful shape. I am going to post pics up soon as I detail it this weekend (weather permitting). I was wondering about a few upgrades and was looking for some advice. Please excuse my newbie ignorance as I am learning about these cars.

1. Exhaust...I want a more agressive sound but not over-the-top loud. I read about dropping the cats and X-pipe or something. I dont know what that is...what do you reccommed? Something for an economical budget.

2. Lowering...some people told me dont bother but I hate the massive space between the top of the tires and the wheel well. Again what is your recommendations? I dont need to drop it a lot just 1-1.5" maybe? And if I do, do I need camber adjustments? I dont even know what that is. Best springs to buy?

3. Gears...I dont get what the difference is between my stock gears and 3.73 and 4.10 etc...I am not drag racing this...it is my summer driver but I would like a bit more acceleration off the line too...thoughts?

4. Headlights...I love the smoked out look of headlights...lots of people lay get a professional tinting place to do them rather than buy say the smoked out ones from ebay...thoughts? Anyone do either of that? Also, can you change your lights for brighter white (but not super blue that is annoying everyone in front of you).

5. Short throw shifter...I liked when my last car (RX7) had that...is this worth it for the Cobra? Any negatives to doing it? Best product to buy?

6. Maintenace...aside from usual oil maintenace etc, any other tips for me? Also, the only thing that needs to be fixed on the car is the stock oil pressure gauge. It needs a new one. I am guessing that will be difficult to find on its own because its part of the dash cluster, no?

Thanks so much guys! I look forward to meeting and chatting with some of you....again please excuse my ignorance on this, but I am excited to learn more!

Rob

PS. I do not expect people to answer all my questions! If some guys have ideas about some of my questions thats cool...I will of course be searching for lots of it too.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

I'll answer this since there are 50+ views but no responses lol

1. Off-Road Xpipe + Magnaflow Exhaust

2. H&R Springs, MM Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit

3. If you plan on staying N/A go with 4.30s, these motors love to rev

4. If you are going to tint them, getting them professional tinted, they look the best

5. Go with a MGW shifter. The best their is

6. Oil Change, Plugs, Clean air filter, Change gear oil (when you do gears), check all the belts and fluid levels. Remember you gotta burn premium fuel.
Old 06-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Kabby

Originally Posted by Mustang3GT07
I'll answer this since there are 50+ views but no responses lol

1. Off-Road Xpipe + Magnaflow Exhaust

2. H&R Springs, MM Caster Camber Plates, Steeda Bumpsteer Kit

3. If you plan on staying N/A go with 4.30s, these motors love to rev

4. If you are going to tint them, getting them professional tinted, they look the best

5. Go with a MGW shifter. The best their is

6. Oil Change, Plugs, Clean air filter, Change gear oil (when you do gears), check all the belts and fluid levels. Remember you gotta burn premium fuel.
Thanks! Is the off-road xpipe and magnaflow exhaust eliminate cats? I dont need cats where I live.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:07 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by Kabby
Thanks! Is the off-road xpipe and magnaflow exhaust eliminate cats? I dont need cats where I live.
The magnaflow is just a catback exhaust, but the off-road xpipe will get rid of the cats. There are alot of brands to pick from. You will need MIL's so you don't get a CEL.
Old 06-04-2010, 11:41 PM
mfj
Banned

I'm worried about your "broken" oil pressure gauge. Are you sure that it's the gauge that is broken? Could be a hurt motor, even if everything APPEARS to be okay. Get that checked out ASAP.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:14 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I'd think he'd "hear" a little Knock-Knock if the Cobra truly had no oil pressure...But I'd get a gauge on it ASAP!
Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM
Cobrajets
1st Gear Member

The broken oil pressure gauge is more than likely a faulty oil pressure switch, located on the engine by the oil filter. Just a few bucks from the local auto parts store.

1. Listen to exhausts setups on Youtube, to find one you like and pick one that fits your budget.

2. You can find decent used springs (H&R, Eibach, Steeda) at swap meets for around half the price of new. Usually need CC plates to get proper camber for alignment, so the inside of tires don't wear prematurely. That should get you started till you get more knowledge on your suspension and want more upgrades.

3. Most people will tell you 3.73's for a DD. You get more acceleration in all gears. 4.10's will give you even more, but your rpms will increase noticeably at highway speeds.

4. HID lighting systems provide excellent lighting, but are pretty expensive. I have no opinion on the tinting, because I have no experience with that.

5. MGW makes a great STS. I am very pleased with mine.

6. Maintenance is routine. Oil changes, air cleaner, plugs, fluid changes, tire pressure and brakes. Also, keep your interior and exterior washed and waxed. It makes your car look better and last longer.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your new 'Stang.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Kabby

Ya the mechanic said he thought it was an oil pressure switch so I will look into that. I just got some Eibach srpings that will lower it 1.2" front and back...I was told because it is just 1.2" all I need is an alignment and not cc plates?

I am definitely saving for a MGS shifter next as well as looking for an economical exhaust.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

I have Eibach's on the DSG & love them....H&R's on the RagTop...Post some pics before & after!
Old 06-07-2010, 11:23 PM
Black*Death
2nd Gear Member

I say 3.55's on gears..160K motor? That is a lot of miles on a modular motor. If truly just Sunday driving 3.55 are decent but I could be talked into 3.73's...just my thoughts

Quick Reply: New Cobra owner looking for tips/advice