SVT Forums

Looking to purchase 03 Cobra need advice!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:03 AM
rudyr123

Default Looking to purchase 03 Cobra need advice!

What's going on everyone. I'm 21 and currently drive a 08 Scion tC RS 4.0. I've always been a mustang guy and it's finally time to get my own. There is a 2003 Mustang Cobra Vert close to my town that I have my eye on. It has approximately 47k miles. I believe it's stock other than the exhaust, tail light tints, and the HIDs it has.

I want to know if the car has been babied or abused. I spoke to my friend and he said to check the blower for death rattle, if its been tuned asked where it's been tuned and if by a computer ask for the computer. Also to check the rear for worn and cracked cv boots, check the wheel wells for burnt rubber.

Is there anything else I should be aware about or anything else I should check out while I'm at the dealer? I'm going to check out the car on Saturday.

Thanks,
Rudy

Last edited by rudyr123; 01-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 11:54 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Welcome to MF! ....You have a lot to learn!

Pretty simple to tell the difference between a 4V & 2V engine....Just look the car over good, even bring someone along that knows these cars! Also, make sure you can make the insurance payments as well....

Do you have a link to the car?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM
1ATony
Former Sponsor

welcome to the site
Old 02-10-2011, 12:19 PM
rudyr123

Hey Tim, yeah I know I have quite a lot to learn. I'm going with my Dad and my friend that is a Fordaholic.

Here is the link: http://www.rcatenas.com/vehicle.asp?v=1318316#1

What do you think?
Old 02-10-2011, 12:48 PM
Larry Warcup
3rd Gear Member

Hey rudyr123, first of all welcome to MF, from beautiful British Columbia, Canada!

I think I would give a shout out to this site: SVT OWNERS CLUB for more info on what to look at 'specifically'
on the car you're lookin' at.

Or, go here: MF's SVT FORUMS to see what members here on MF, think about their own Cobras and your selection, as well.

Give it a shot. And good luck!

Larry

Last edited by Larry Warcup; 02-10-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

well a few things. Those valve covers have been painted/powdercoated meaning quite a bit of stuff has been removed at one point to get them off. Make sure it was done correctly and doesnt have any leaks or bad gaskets. Also thats a aftermarket cold air intake and battery, which isnt a big deal most of the time. Looks like a aftermarket heat changer also but its hard to tell from that picture. Pulley looks stock, and the pulley guard is missing(they break all the time so most people remove them). Missing the front emblem which is cheap to fix. Everything else looks stock mechanically from the pictures (I dont like the front bumper license plate because it will leave holes if you take it off.) but some states require them i believe. Not that any of these things are bad, just pointing out a few things i noticed. It will be like night and day going from a scion to a cobra.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ I agree!! ...There's a lot to remove those valve covers! ....Look the car over REAL good for leaks....I'd also make sure the engine was COLD before I start it...smell the oil...take it for a ride and go through the gears!

Other then that, price not bad! GL!

Oh, first thing,,,the car would need a Drop!
Old 02-10-2011, 11:08 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

What about the IRS? Is there something visual that he can check there to see if it's in good shape? Since they still tend to break, right, if stock and pushed too hard...?

And for the pulley, just because it's stock now certainly doesn't mean it always has been. The pulley guard could be missing because the guy changed out the pulley. Ford says the oil in the blower is good for 100k miles, but most folks agree that it needs to be changed more often with a smaller pulley. I don't know if you can actually check that oil before buying it, but if you do I would go ahead and change it out, just to be safe, in case the last owner was running a smaller pulley.

That's all I can think to add. Like you, I didn't really know what to look for specifically when I was looking to buy this car either. I took mine to a Ford dealership and paid for an inspection, that gave me some peace of mind. I bought first, and have been learning about it second! Seemed like the smart way to go at the time

I would like to add a hearty, damn I'm jealous, you get one at 21, I had to wait til I was almost 40! Bah, sir
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

hey bud looks like your lucking out like me gettin a cobra at a young age lol its a nice treat for your hard work...

anyways i couldnt see the link for whatever reason but dont let all the things that ppl are saying scare you...make a short check point list of the things these guys have told you before you go and when you get there check them off

these cars are really strong cars but also do take alot of abuse cause of there power...something that i didnt see mentioned is try to listen for a head tick or knock!!

as far as the irs theres isnt anything to look for you can easily tell just by driving it if something is jacked up back there!!

let us know how things go man were always willing to help!!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:24 AM
xxlcobra

I would probably keep looking. The reason that I say this, is buying a fast car is great but make sure if possible that the previous owner didn't run it to hard or tamper with it. Some things are signs to stay away.
________
HEAD SHOP

Last edited by xxlcobra; 09-06-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Quick Reply: Looking to purchase 03 Cobra need advice!