SVT Forums

after installing procharger...now what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 09:34 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Lightbulb after installing procharger...now what?

Going to be installing a new shortblock forged, and a stock P1sc Procharger. Lets assume the last bolt was tightened and the last hose was clamped...is this safe to start? should i trailor it to a dyno for tune? what kind of things should I do once these installs are complete?
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Yes if everything is finished then it's safe to start however with that said it would be highly wise to drive the car for a couple hours, starting/stopping the car and giving it time to cool under normal driving to let the gaskets fully seat. People often tend to put an S/C on a new motor with unseated gaskets and romp on it the first time they drive the car which can and has caused gasket failure. Usually 500 miles seems to be a good point at which it's safe to start tuning the motor for the S/C and putting it under the load of the super charger. However you can do it in less. Really the gaskets just need to heat up, expand, cool off, contract a few times before you romp on it with the S/C.
Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
jthorn9
The Godfather

In short the S/C will cause ZERO addition load on the engine as long as you drive normal and don't go into WOT.
Old 04-03-2011, 01:44 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

alright, so the supercharger means nothing until i romp on it and get into boost. So start run the engine and do the normal break in period as any other engine. Once engine is broken in and maybe a thousand or two miles on it, with changing the oil a few times, hit the dyno and get it tuned for the supercharger. That sound ok?
Old 04-03-2011, 09:21 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

well im sorry im gonna have to disagree with you!! i would say it is safe to start and let run as long as you have an a/f gauge to make sure that it is not leaning out...most set ups like that come with a chip for the s/c...personally if it was my car i would trailer it to the dyno and he will put whats called a break in tune for it which is very very moderate! your engine does need broke in before you start driving harder!!!!

the main concern is you just dont know what your car is doing until its hooked up to the computer it could be loosin fuel pressure which could be detention it could have to much and wash the cylinders causing your oil to then and your motor to wear improperly...its just a chance i wouldnt be willing to take with my car

also why dont you got with the D1SC???
Old 04-03-2011, 10:24 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

Well I am dropping all my money into the engine at this point, its another 1400 to upgrade to the D1sc, is there another advantage to that procharger other than just the capability of more boost? I do have the chip that came with the procharger. So you say start with guages, let it run for a few, then take it straight to get tuned, AND THEN break in, after said mileage, then get into it? This was the route I figured i would have to go. Just trying to be clear, I don't want to burn 7k being easy on my engine haha
Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

well the all around capabilty of the D is better its more efficient runs cooler and you get more boost many ppl wish they woulda upgraded but msot are on a budget build and have to settle with the P....it all depends on what you want man youll be more then happy with the P....yes i would use there chip its meant for the set up to run correctly and yes you need gauges if your not going to trailer it to the dyno cause otherwise you have no way of knowing what your car is doing!!! no you dont need 7k miles as a break in haha just about 500 to 1000 miles but yes you got the order correct!!
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
jthorn9
The Godfather

Well what I recommended is an old school mechanics practice to let everything seal up. If you're spending all your money on this then that would be the wise thing to do. If you have a tuner and a few basic gauges then you can perform checks yourself to make sure everything is running fine. Generally if its not you will know it. I would just highly recommended letting the motor break in a little bit before romping on the S/C, it could potentially save you a lot of head ache. And it lets you test the motor under normal driving to make sure all if fine. I made that mistake with my 5.0, rebuilt the motor, all new gaskets, remilled heads, etc, got on the road, boosted it over after driving less than 5 miles and lifted the head just enough to cause issues and had to tear it all back down again. I didn't let the gaskets seat.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:48 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

haha, i meant waste 7k that i put in it to build it, haha but yeah i would love a D, can i just upgrade to a D later? just have to yank the head unit and sent it off, 1400, rebuilt send it back. Any modifications i would have to do to put a D in. I should be ready to push massive amounts of power, 80lb injectors, big MAF, and a big fuel setup. I'm trying to find a way AROUND the aermotive system for 2200 but i may not have a choice. I think i'm going to go your way, JUST to be safe and protect my investment.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:51 AM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

aw man jthorn, thats rough. Thats the last thing i want, I want this motor to be as much of a one and done as possible. I have a very tight schedule haha, and you know how it goes, you have to find time to build a muscle car. :-)

Quick Reply: after installing procharger...now what?