SVT Forums

Radiator upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Default Radiator upgrade?

I'm installing a new timing chain set on my 97 Cobra very soon. I notice that on warm days, in traffic, the car's temp gauge will go a bit past halfway, yet when running up the highway it runs at about 1/3. It never goes to the red, the fan kicks in. But I still wonder if it is running too hot. It has a 180 degree stat in it... I'm thinking about upgrading to a Mishimoto aluminum radiator while I have it apart, but I wonder, am I wasting money? Is it hurting the motor to run just a hair past halfway on the idiot gauge? Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated...
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

I should also say that it is running at about 1/3 gauge during the cool spring season... When it hits July/August and the humidity sets in it will likely be running at 1/2 gauge level most of the time...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:55 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

I wouldnt call it a waste of money, but more like lower on the priority list to most people. They arnt cheap and do help some, but i believe theres a way to make your fans turn on earlier, either with a handheld tuner or something. That way you might save yourself some cash if you can adjust the temp the fans come on and keep you cooler. As long as you dont dip into the red you should be ok, driving a high hp car in the heat, even with the good radiator temps will rise, just part of the game.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:18 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

for whatever reason it seems like 97 cobra well 96-98 cobras are know for heating up over past half but not all the way to red...i wouldnt say its a big enough deal to change it i would work on trying to adjust your fans to kick on sooner or wire in a switch to have them always on once your car starts...but i wouldnt say its an issue with your temp rising my buddys car did it and ive heard of it happening alot!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:48 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

My temp would always climb above half on my gauge as well, I switched over to a fluidyne radiatior and it never got to half ever again. The car actually runs so nice and at the perfect temp my electric fan has never kicked on once in the last 2 years since I put it in.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Well, since I'm having a new timing chain set installed and will have it all apart anyway, I went ahead and ordered the Mishimoto Performance radiator. Says 30% better cooling... It gets hot and humid big time here in the summer and it always goes to the M in "Normal" when in traffic...Hoping this will help!
Old 05-20-2011, 06:48 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

OK - today is the day... My mechanic and I are going to install a new complete timing chain set on my Cobra, as well as the Mishimoto radiator. Radiator is the easy part. Hoping the timing chain set install goes well!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:11 AM
paddy_boy

I had a Mishimoto installed in my 96 Cobra by the guy who was installing my Vortech supercharger. My car also ran hot; in fact, the 96's are probably the worst of the bunch in that regard. It was a tight fit with the Vortech, but my mechanic made it happen. Car runs MUCH cooler now - I don't even think about it anymore. The stock radiator is pretty flimsy - the Mishimoto is like 2" thicker. It only cost a couple hundred dollars - money well spent for the peace of mind. Also, about a year ago I installed JBA ceramic coated shorty headers and an X pipe, and that really helped, as well, but at considerately higher cost than a new radiator.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Well, got it all done - new timing chain set, radiator, etc... But - the car is still running hot. I've burped the coolant and it still is running as warm as it did before. I did not buy the fan or shroud kit (http://www.mishimoto.com/mishimoto-f...shroud-97.html) but used my stock fan and shroud. I have a 180 degree T-stat. As soon as I kick in the fan on the high setting (by running the AC) it cools down pretty well. Not sure if I've just wasted 225.00 for the radiator when it is not making any difference from before. Any ideas as to what I should do now? Buy the Mishimoto fan shroud? Or, can the fan temp setting be changed electronically to kick in at a lower temp? Does that require purchasing a tuner? I'm about out of money for this beast.

Thanks to anyone who can help...
Old 05-21-2011, 10:13 PM
Rokgtar
2nd Gear Member

Bump 'cause I need the advice :-)

Quick Reply: Radiator upgrade?