SVT Forums

Cobra Clunk Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 AM
fenderbass146

Default Cobra Clunk Help

I would first off like to say hello. I just bought a 1999 Cobra for $8000 with just under 100000 miles. It is my first true sports car so I am pretty excited.

It overall is perfect, however I have the "cobra clunk" whenever i let off the gas or hit it again, and also when changing gears sometimes.

I know I need the differential bushings and I found them on Steeda's website for 41.99
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-d...ang-cobra.html

I first off wanted to verify that is what I would need to fix this issue, and secondly I found them on autozones site as well and because I can just go pick it up, I woudn't mind getting it from there if I could however it says differential carrier bushings. I wanted to verify these are the same things

Here is the link for those
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...705086_0_5933_

Are those the same things? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I am really new to all this, however very excited to learn.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
fenderbass146

Originally Posted by fenderbass146
I would first off like to say hello. I just bought a 1999 Cobra for $8000 with just under 100000 miles. It is my first true sports car so I am pretty excited.

It overall is perfect, however I have the "cobra clunk" whenever i let off the gas or hit it again, and also when changing gears sometimes.

I know I need the differential bushings and I found them on Steeda's website for 41.99
http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-d...ang-cobra.html

I first off wanted to verify that is what I would need to fix this issue, and secondly I found them on autozones site as well and because I can just go pick it up, I woudn't mind getting it from there if I could however it says differential carrier bushings. I wanted to verify these are the same things

Here is the link for those
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...705086_0_5933_

Are those the same things? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I am really new to all this, however very excited to learn.
Also, how hard is this to do. I don't have a lot of expeirnce but I know how to use a wrench and socket. Can the average person handle this?
Old 05-15-2011, 02:43 AM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

I am pretty new to the cobra scene but i got really nice upper and lower control arms and the poly urethane bushings already installed. I heard of alot of people just going that route cause the new control arms are alot stronger. I got the mach one rear end in my cobra so it took regular mustang gt control arms but i heard the bushings are a pain in the butt to get out so your better off just going with the new control arms. Hope it all goes well man
Old 05-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

hey man congrats on the new car!! the clunk is not really an issue with car incase your worried...also i would say that the clunk is your universal joints being sloppy and the clunk when they become tight per say....as far as the bushings i would say thats prolly not your problem...when those bushing go out you start hearing hauling winning and all sorta of obnoxious sounds from the rearend...to change those it takes a very good knowledge of how to propperly space them and using a micrometer...ive done just bout everything to my car and thats something that i would not do i would take it to a shop that has the knowledge and proper tools...some ppl get really lucky and get it correct with not problem but when they get it wrong it hauls and screams and itll end up tearing up yoiur rearend

hope that helps man
Old 05-15-2011, 03:51 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

^^ like he said. Its all just part of the cobra driveline. Something to do with the u joints or drivshaft having some play. You will get used to hearing noises with the cobras, i was worried as you are at first also.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:13 AM
fenderbass146

Originally Posted by Blackvenom01
hey man congrats on the new car!! the clunk is not really an issue with car incase your worried...also i would say that the clunk is your universal joints being sloppy and the clunk when they become tight per say....as far as the bushings i would say thats prolly not your problem...when those bushing go out you start hearing hauling winning and all sorta of obnoxious sounds from the rearend...to change those it takes a very good knowledge of how to propperly space them and using a micrometer...ive done just bout everything to my car and thats something that i would not do i would take it to a shop that has the knowledge and proper tools...some ppl get really lucky and get it correct with not problem but when they get it wrong it hauls and screams and itll end up tearing up yoiur rearend

hope that helps man
Thanks a lot. That is a relief. Something I shouldnt have to worry about. Thanks for the help. Im sure ill be back for more.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:48 PM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

Default Mustang cobra rips after break in

I got to the five hundred miles on the new clutch and finally got to be able to rip the **** out of it. After a few takes off i noticed when i let of the gas i hear a clunk our kinda grinding. What could be the issue? could that have to do with the axle our would it be more related to the ujoints being sloppy? I dont get why after a couple could takeoffs i would be hearing this and it got worse then finally parked it. any ideas guys
Old 05-17-2011, 05:25 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

its really hard to say if you cant tell whether its grinding or clunking...when i let off mine clunks then sorta howls sounds like extremely cupped tires and all that is is someone didnt shim the rear end perfectly from the previous owner... if it is grinding it could be a shredded shim making a mess in your rear end or it could be the tranny makin noise also...without a solid or constant grind its hard to tell whats up....in all honesty we have noisy cars thats why you get a louder exhaust hahahah
Old 05-17-2011, 05:32 AM
cobra21987
2nd Gear Member

Yea this is a grinding only when letting off the gas but wow I got to finally feel my svt tonight it was the **** lol
Old 05-25-2011, 12:04 AM
TRQJUNKIE

I would got to say you guys are experiencing excessive rear end noise due to improper backlash and a whooped diff. I just pulled my diff and had it rebuilt. It's quiet and nice and tight with no clunk. I do have bushings but I noticed a big improvement with this fresh diff and proper backlash.

Quick Reply: Cobra Clunk Help