MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Forums (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums-34/)
-   -   Purchasing a Built 96 Cobra with Paxton Supercharger,some questions (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums/643980-purchasing-a-built-96-cobra-with-paxton-supercharger-some-questions.html)

narib2008 06-05-2011 07:03 PM

Purchasing a Built 96 Cobra with Paxton Supercharger,some questions

Hello Guys,
This week i went too look at a very nice 96 Cobra that i believe i am going to buy. The only thing holding me back is one thing. First off the car was built right, Short block was built by VT back in 05 and has full forged internals. Everything was documented and i took a look at a binder full of paper work. The vehicle has all the necessary supporting mods for it, it has a Paxton 1000 Novi Supercharger and is currently making around 502 Rwhp. That being said. The car is incredibly clean and it drives like a stock car...Power is very progressive and gradual. The only concern i have, is when i was driving it around yesterday. One of the 5 times i actually got on the power during the highway, i seemed too notice a bit of detonation. The A/C was on during this, maybe that has something too do with it, as it was not tuned with the A/C on. I only noticed it once and quickly backed off when it happend. It may have not even been detonation(it was almost like a rattle noise). I am just wondering if i should worry about it and purchase it and just get it re-tuned or if its definitly a bad idea too purchase it. Here is a quick list of parts from the ad.The seller seems too be a very stand up guy and i dont believe he is hiding anything from me. The car is very clean and thats honestly my only issue.He has been the owner since 02 and it has been in its current state since 07, so i doubt he is just selling it too get rid of a problem. Please let me know if you guys have any similar issues or recomendations. Thank You

VT built short block, balanced and blueprinted with Manley h-beam rods and forged Diamond pistons
Paxton Novi 1000RR supercharger (15 psi) with Snow Performance Methanol Injection kit (progressive - driven by MAF)
IMRC (intake manifold runner control) deletes
SCT Big Air 2400 MAF
Ford Racing 42 lb/hr fuel injectors
Stock camshafts
Anderson Motorsports PowerPipe blower inlet
Walbro 255 lph in tank with Vortech T-Rex external fuel pump
Kirban adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Innovate wideband air/fuel gauge (this can be datalogged on a laptop)
Stock exhaust manifolds, Magnaflow stainless steel X-pipe, Magnaflow Magnapack stainless cat-back exhaust
SCT tuned by Jannetty Racing in Waterbury, CT 502 rwhp / 404 rwtq on a very hot day (easily 600 crankshaft hp when cooler)
Steeda lowering springs with 5-way adjustable Tokico struts/shocks all around
Steeda upper and lower rear control arms
Adjustable front caster/camber plates
Prothane polyurethane engine mounts, transmission mount and front sway bar bushings
Steeda sub-frame connectors with cross braces
Ford Racing 4.10 gears with stock Traction-Lock rear and stock axles
Ford Racing aluminum driveshaft with safety loop
Stock T-45 transmission with Steeda Tri-Ax shifter
NEW!!! Spec Stage 2+ clutch
NEW!!! Spec Aluminum Flywheel
UPR triple hook clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, Steeda clutch pedal height adjuster
Optima red top battery
"Bullitt" style rims, 18X9 in front, 18X10 in rear
Toyo Proxes T1-R's, 275/35ZR18 in front, 295/35ZR18 in rear (20k miles on them)
Stock cobra brakes with Russell stainless steel braided front brake lines, EBC yellows in front, Carbotech pads in rear
Kenwood CD MP3 player with stock Mach 460 amps and speakers

uberstang1 06-06-2011 06:08 AM

The thing when purchasing a car like this you better beleive it was whooped one because people don't mod a car like that to fanny pack it down the highway at 55mph. I also find it strange they would build such a motor and still have stock axles and stock exhaust manifolds on the car.

narib2008 06-06-2011 06:27 PM

Yes i agree with you, however i am more concerned with the issue at hand. The drivetrain was fine. I see not reason to have concerns with it until i see an issue. I called EFI logics today in bethel,ct too see if they would have some tuning info. They are planning to call me back later in the week with more info. We will see then