SVT Forums

new to the game... so what is the difference between these mustangs???

Old 07-03-2011, 04:01 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

100k miles is alot, i would be looking much lower if i were you and still can pick them up decently priced under 18k.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:57 PM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by shaysinthegame
hahaha dude, I'm telling you the FACTS .. you and all your mustang friends know that a stock LS1 can beat a stock mustang gt.

And I sold my 02 z28 to try something different. haha just because you wont drive anything but a ford, doesnt mean I am only sticking to Chevy.

Anyways, I am looking at a 2003 Cobra right now with 100k miles. What do you think is an ideal price to buy it at? I like the look of it. You said they make close to 400hp, right?
I'm not brand loyal by any means. I would sell this car for a c6 z06 in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Old 07-03-2011, 08:21 PM
shaysinthegame
1st Gear Member

i'm not hating on anyone or their car either..

so have you ever shut down any camaros? I heard these cobras are fast..
Old 07-03-2011, 08:49 PM
machracer11
3rd Gear Member

haha are you serious??? lol i'm gonna think that you were being sarcastic about that one.. and it takes quite a few mods to match the LS1s power... you guys have about 60-70 less horsepower then the ls1s.. just saying.. and it takes more than flowmaster and an intake to match a stock ls1s speed..

and what is the difference between the saleen mustang and the 03 04 cobra? arent they both supercharged?
I think you need to check your facts a bit there, I've taken a couple camaros with my Mach1 with no problem what so ever

but regardless, New Edge mustangs are great, much more livable than the F-bodys in my opinion (and I'm not crazy closed minded, I have always wanted a Trans Am). If you're going to get one then just make sure its a 4v
Old 07-03-2011, 10:48 PM
00_silvergt

Short runner intake and 4.10 gears and I'm pretty sure ill beat a few ls1s with my 97 cobra. Doesn't take much to start beating them. But once u start modding the ls1 its hard to keep up without boost
Old 07-04-2011, 12:23 AM
SVTeeshirt
5th Gear Member

haha are you serious??? lol i'm gonna think that you were being sarcastic about that one.. and it takes quite a few mods to match the LS1s power... you guys have about 60-70 less horsepower then the ls1s.. just saying.. and it takes more than flowmaster and an intake to match a stock ls1s speed..

and what is the difference between the saleen mustang and the 03 04 cobra? arent they both supercharged?
Im not being sarcastic at all lol..... I drive a 96 cobra, and i've driven around a few LS-1 camaros with slushboxes.... ALL it takes to beat a stock LS-1 is a $170 gear swap. 4.10s > LS1

let me know fanboyyyyyyy.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

my old 01 beat LS1's it had intake full exhaust 4.10's and a tune...it doesnt really matter who beats who from what mods you have or stock to stock or modded to stock...there will always be someone faster that has a chevy and there will always be a faster ford...its never ending battle to who is better...each maker does something really good with a car and each maker does something stupid

you make the car what you want you build it to your taste of power handling sound responce fun and styling... so try a mustang make it what you want theres millions of parts and millions of things to do that are relitively cheap and things that are expensive like turbos or supercharger

i would get an 03 04 cobra with 60-80k for 18k look on svtperformance.com they have a very good selection

if you know your gonna dump alot into modding then buy an already modded one and change a few things or get a stockish one and do it yourself just go and test drive get the feel find what you want
Old 07-04-2011, 11:51 AM
945LSTANG
6th Gear Member

i'm not hating on anyone or their car either..

so have you ever shut down any camaros? I heard these cobras are fast..
I've shut a few of them down. I'm still rocking the stock pulley so I'm about par with a heads/cam car with an average driver.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Snakebite64
4th Gear Member

I gots me sometin for the LS-1's
Old 07-04-2011, 01:18 PM
scottybaccus
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Live Wire
People are pretty passionate about their brand loyalty... what is prompting the move from GM? Just looking for something new or did something rub you wrong on the LS1 platform?
I'll bite. Life long Chevy/Mopar guy, I bought a 2011 V6 Mustang back in late April. I traded in my 2005 Silverado Crew Cab. For me, this was the peak of the GM trucks from the perspective of chassis and interior. The LS engine series is remarkable and continues to get better, but the 2007+ trucks turned cheap on the inside and rattly, for the price point that my '05 was at.

I also travel a lot for work so I get to rent MANY different cars. Not just one day, usually several days and even weeks or months here and there. I've driven them all. Dodge trucks, Charger, Magnum, 300, 200, Avenger, Caliber, Durango, Chevy trucks, Colorado, Trailblazer, Camaro, Vette, HHR, Cruze, Impala, Malibu, Accord, Civic, 626, 3, 5, Ford trucks, Explorer, Escape, Ranger, 500, Focus, Taurus, Jetta, Passat, BMW 3 series, 5 series, Camry, Prelude, Corolla, Sentra, Maxima, Altima...

So I have first hand experience with pretty much anything out there. After a lifetime of Chevy and Mopar cars in my driveway (one or two old Fords), I decided to ditch the Silverado because of fuel economy. Sure a later model might have the fancy cylinder dropping ECU that makes the most of it, but after 2007, the Chevy trucks got cheap inside. I paid $20K for my truck, drove it 5 years and got $12K trade in. To replace all the features, I would have paid $45k in a new truck. Ford was no better in the truck, the 4.6 was anemic compared to my 5.3 LS1. Dodge makes a powerful engine, but the interior was the worst of the three. So I fell back on my rental experience. A few cars made an impression on me. The Malibu/Impala is just cheap inside and under powered. The Ford 500 has a great interior fit and finish, but a noisy FWD powertrain, the Chrylser 300/Magnum is nice and solid inside, has good power, but a soft transmission. All in all, I didn't want anything I found. I sat on my truck for a year over all the different shortcomings I saw in the new cars and trucks available. Then Ford started running that Mustang commercial for the 305 HP V6 that got 31 mpg. That was an attention getter. I didn't take as much notice of the 5.0 returning because I just wasn't a fan of the Modular motors. I did pay attention to the 3.7 V6 making 300 hp. On the day I decided it was time to buy, I went to look at the newest Charger (damned sexy lines!), but the price point wasn't right for me. The base model was devoid of anything interesting and the cool car was over $30k. I went down the street and looked closer at the new lines on the Mustang and decided Ford finally got it right. The next day I took a test drive in a 2011 Mustang and the engine clinched the deal. It would not have done so all alone, though. The interior fit and finish is important to me. Even a base model needs to be put together well. The new Mustang has a great interior, better that '05-'09, imo. Together, it was hard to find anything wrong with the car. I think my only complaint is that the stereo is ridiculous to upgrade. Second, the ride in the base model was kinda soft. Eibach springs fixed that.
Ford started improving fit and finish maybe 5 years ago. The new engine line up completes the package. I wouldn't give you a nickle for the build quality of anything Ford made from '88-'04, but I always respected the suspension in the Mustang and the durability of a Ford truck before '99 or so. To offer a full line of cars built as well as my Mustang, Ford is going to lead the world. The new Camaro was a huge miss, for me. It came so close, but stopped short. It speaks volumes of where the leadership at GM has their heads at right now. They are trying to make one car for everyone, compromising too many key points along the way. Ford makes A car for everyone, they span the spectrum, hitting the point that each model is aimed at. Much better strategy. Dodge? The new Challenger looks encouraging, but the Caliber and Avenger were a huge waste of natural resources. It creates doubt around all their other models.
I really, really miss my 2005 Silverado. I may buy another old one one day, but who knows, Maybe that new twin turbo eco-tech F150 has my name on it.

Last edited by scottybaccus; 07-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new to the game... so what is the difference between these mustangs???