SVT Forums

There's a Termi up the road for sale... Have some questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 03:28 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

Default There's a Termi up the road for sale... Have some questions...

Ok... I have gone through the FAQ from CobraBob and I went to look a 2004 Competition Orange Coupe and had some questions/concerns...

I apologize in advance for the TON of questions...

1) This car has a FMIC... It looks like an air to air (I used to have a turbo eclipse once a upon a time ago), but the intercooler overflow reservoir is still present in the engine bay. Also, as the car was running, the coolant in the reservoir was flowing so much, it was bubbling in the container. It did not bubble out, but it was only idling too.

Question is, does the Cobra come with a FMIC or is this aftermarket? Google images isn't helping with this, unfortunately. Is the intercooler coolant supposed to flow that much in the overflow tank?

2) According to CobraBob's FAQ, "the door lock on the drivers side on '03 Cobras were black, 04 Cobras were chrome" (2.1.1). This one has only black ones. Is this an issue?

3) The car comes with Nothing, nada, ziltch in regards to documentation, paperwork, etc. Not even manuals. Is that a big deal? The missing build certificate (while a replacement can be ordered) is making wonder if this is a "TRUE" SVT... Could someone have done a powertrain swap and body kit? How do I KNOW that this is legit (the lack of chrome lock mechanisms is fueling this)? Besides the stamped plate on the engine, are there any other indicators that a Cobra is a Cobra?

4) The car has TONS of modifications... Aftermarket exhaust (tips sticking out at different lengths past the bumper cover), CAI, MOTOBLUE idler pulley (I think that is what it is), hella stout clutch (pressing in on the clutch is like compressing cinder blocks, LOL), and has been lowered. All of this is great, but did the previous owner race the crap out of it? Also, with these upgrades, it is only logical to believe that the car has been retuned for more power, but the dealership has nothing to go with it... no tuner, no stock parts... Am I going to have to buy a new tuner, like from VMT, BAMA, etc?

6) I know that the SVT community is fairly small, and as such, many of you may know each other. Does anyone know of a low mileage (40k miles) 2004 Comp. Orange Cobra in the central Texas area that would have recently traded it in towards a Honda? Are they a member here? I am hoping the previous owner is willing to talk to me... The sales person is trying to get their permission.

Another thing that may help negotiations (if I go that route) is that there is also a long scratch on the front bumper (passenger side) where contact was made to something... Took the paint clear off and scratched the bumper cover.

Thanks for your help guys... Now if only I can convince Mrs. BigD that this is necessity (atleast for me)...

Don
Old 07-26-2011, 05:17 PM
BigDinTexas
4th Gear Member

OK... got to thinking... If I have this many concerns then this is NOT the right car for me... Nevermind everyone... Besides I think a GT500 would better suite me...

Don
Old 07-26-2011, 05:24 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Do you have any pics?? ....The 03/04 Cobra's come stock with a water to air cooling system for the Eaton...and yes, the pump is going to be moving coolant!!!!

Look around the rear wheels (and under the car) for excessive rubber....Without really seeing the car or having a link to it, I'd think that the car should go for $19k to $20K and 40k miles!...Like to see pics!

Sounds like the bumper needs to be repainted....$600 to $700 range for that!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by BigDinTexas
OK... got to thinking... If I have this many concerns then this is NOT the right car for me... Nevermind everyone... Besides I think a GT500 would better suite me...

Don
Come on.....lets see some pics first!
Old 07-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Soldier GT
6th Gear Member

Pics or fail!!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:23 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

03/04 cobra to gt500... you may regret that later, or you may not. I think most people would pick the 03 cobra as long as it wasnt haggard looking. But everyones tastes are different. Take the extra cash you save on the cobra, and make it 600+ hp and have cash left over and a bulletproof platform. Or spend the extra cash on the gt500 and have a much slower car for nearly double the money.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:24 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Originally Posted by redneck racer
03/04 cobra to gt500... you may regret that later, or you may not. I think most people would pick the 03 cobra as long as it wasnt haggard looking. But everyones tastes are different. Take the extra cash you save on the cobra, and make it 600+ hp and have cash left over and a bulletproof platform. Or spend the extra cash on the gt500 and have a much slower car for nearly double the money.
Well said!!! .... I opted to get the 2nd 03/04 Cobra when I purchased the '04 TR Ragtop, over having a "single" GT500...and I personally think it was the right way for me to go!!!