SVT Forums

Cobra Recalls and tune ups

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 09:38 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Default Cobra Recalls and tune ups

Hello everyone i just got my cobra yesturday and its just amazing really. I havent had a chance to get pics cause its been raining will be up soon but i wanted to know all the recalls and the BEST brands to do tune ups with. For like a tune up what brand should i use for each of the following (price doesnt matter)

Motor Oil
Tranny Fluid
Rear End Fluid
Powersteering
Intercooler fluid (i THINK the previous owner has a upgrade intercooler)
Anti freeze coolant (i use the royal purple additive but how many bottles do i use and if its good

The brakes are good and the tires are brand new with a new alignment check.

Now for the recalls i havent looked it up much but on my svt i have found some problems

1. The traction control button doesnt turn off. I press it but the light stays on and i dont know whether its truely on or what.

2. When i start to put acceration after whiching from any gear i hear and feel a loud thump.

3. My windshield has a minor leak where the roof meets with the windshield on the passenger side.

That is all i really found so far other then that the car checks out with car fax and stuff. So if you guys could give me any info that would be great
Old 08-14-2011, 09:09 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

1 when the traction light is on, that means its off. Some people turn it off in their tune permanently because its just lame. But if its not turned off in the tune, you will have to turn it off each time you start the car.

2 The irs and t56 are known to make some chatter. The thump is most likely just some play in the shaft, i know mine has some thumps and clanks since i bought it and theres nothing wrong with it as long as you dont hear some grinding or something

3 is it a convertable? mine leaks if i wash it slightly just because of the angle of the water and high pressure. if its a coupe you may want to check the alignment of the window and make sure its rolling up correctly.

This is what i use, theres tons of options and everyone uses different stuff.
Motor Oil- Mobil 1 senthetic
Tranny Fluid- Never had to do
Rear End Fluid- Royal purple, with some ford friction modifyer
Powersteering- Just regular powersteering from autozone
Intercooler fluid (i THINK the previous owner has a upgrade intercooler) -Most people use ford brand for this, i just use regular antifreeze and water at a 70(water)/30 antifreez as recommended by my tuner.
Anti freeze coolant (i use the royal purple additive but how many bottles do i use and if its good- Not familiar with the additive, but royal purple makes great stuff so im sure that wont be a problem to use that, and just follow the directions on the back for your application.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:44 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

1. Traction control turned off by a tune (tuner)

PS - I used Mobil 1 Tranny fluid (I believe that's what the manual called for - tranny fluid)

...Redneck has everything else covered.....

Still waiting on those pics!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:45 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Thanks you two, that was alot of help i just didnt know. The traction control was a worry but it is lame, and no its a coupe for the leaking problem. It does seem like it wasnt installed right (if it ever was) I work at a bo+dy shop and we do windshields so its no biggy. And lol yes its still raining but its dieing down so i will get some in like an hour
Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Also, put in some NGK TR-6 plugs gaped at 0.032" to 0.035" .... maybe even have the tune checked!
Old 08-14-2011, 02:49 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Yea i was going to check out the tune with the local dyno, and i will check into the plugs. What about coils? I just been looking at alllllll kinds of stuff.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:50 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Also im currently putting up pictures in a new post so hope you enjoy
Old 08-14-2011, 05:35 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

Keep the stock OEM coils....they are excellent!!
Old 08-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

you prolly dont need new coils but i agree with everything these guys said...and yes def take the car to your trusted dyno tuner get it checked out then as you go along add a pulley intake exhaust etc etc and get it retuned and youll be into the 400's easy
Old 08-15-2011, 06:19 AM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

O ok no new coils then, and i will deffently get a tuner to look at it. When i get the money i prob ending up doing that before all the little stuff im going to buy it

Quick Reply: Cobra Recalls and tune ups