SVT Forums

Cobra exhaust manifolds

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:50 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

Why not go with a new 5.0 Coyote crate engine with matching manifolds??

Would have to be Cali legal and make some good power with just a tune.

Seems like you are going through a lot having a shop MAKE you some headers so the time spent on modifying/collecting parts you could call it a day and have them do the swap. It's been done enough by now I'm sure you can find all the things you need for the swap.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:13 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

The problem with going with the Coyote, and this was my first consideration, is the need to smog my car with the year of the motor in California

This means the fuel tank needs modding (including new lines to/from, I believe), the ECU, a trip to the smog referee to OK the work and all kinds of stuff that was a HUGE amount of work to happen. If I was in just about any other state, I would have been all over it! It would also take a conversion to operate my power steering, as they Coyote has an electric steering pump. I also had to have a custom made oil pan specifically to my specs, due to clearance issues, and would not work on that motor either. That pan alone, is $635 and would have to find a place for the dry-sump of the Coyote. It "can" work, but not in a cost effective way, unfortunately. He actually really wants to do such a swap, but I am unable to justify doing it for the above and some other reasons

My shoppe is not going to make headers, but last we spoke he was looking into finding some that will pass/meet C.A.R.B. in California I was going to talk with him today, but could not find the time. When it is all said and done, I wont have as nice a torque-curve, but can have the same power with a few lbs from a Vortec for much less cost/trouble. The 2V will fall into my car and will shed approx. 80 lbs to boot!

Jazzer
Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 PM
smitty2919
5th Gear Member

I should have known you did your homework on all your options...

Next up would be a 4V cobra motor swap with a pulley and a tune?

I'm not sure what motor you currently have...

EDIT: What makes headers meet smog that they have to make them?
Old 11-29-2011, 09:31 PM
Jazzer The Cat
Retired Moderator

Yup

I strongly considered the Aluminator (Mach1 motor) and would have been much easier to install for sure. Not nearly the smog issues, but would still need to go to the smog ref to "re-vin" my ride to a Mach1 car, essentially. Still, a nice torque-curve, but really only about 50 more HP, at most, and the few thousand more it would cost to make work, I can go FI one day and easily make that up The Cobra motor would be nice, but would have to go FI to make it worth the difference and really want to stay N/A.

With all this said, I hear you and your thinking is great I wish my state wasn't such a hard-*** about smog, as I would have an absolute N/A BEAST by Spring next year!

Jazzer