SVT Forums

What would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 11:02 AM
01Cobra3531

Default What would you do?

Well, I had a question as to what everyone would do for their Cobra if you weren't gonna be able to drive it, or even start it from 7 months up to a year? What I'm asking is would there any special steps you would do to keep the engine and everything good for that time period? The reason I'm asking is because I'm going to be going to Afghanistan in the near future.
Old 01-21-2012, 02:51 PM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

find a trusted friend or family member and have them start it atleast once a month let it run till is good and hot hit the gas a few times to get the moisture out and soon as you get back do an oil change before you drive it cause you will collect condensation in the oil if its not driven hot enough to burn the water out
Old 01-21-2012, 03:33 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

I usually store mine about 5 months during winter. First I wash and wax it. Then I use stable in the gas. Cardboard under the tires. Hook battery tender up to the battery. Then the car cover goes on. It does however get a oil change when I take it out of storage.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:47 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

as you might know the problem with letting it sit so long is the oil running out running all down to the pan virtually making it a dry oil free start which is rough...if mine sat for 7months totally untouched id pull the valve covers pour oil over top let soak in then start...thats just me not wanting to jack my engine

other people say turn the key multiple times with the gas floored to pump up the oil pressure dunno if that works or not but its an option
Old 01-22-2012, 10:47 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Ive also heard removing the plug wires and turning the motor over without the wires attatched will help re-lube everything without the car actually cranking. Ive never had to leave mine that long, but if you do have someone to crank the car for you and let it run every month or so that would be the best option.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:02 AM
05 Mustang
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by DRAGUL
I usually store mine about 5 months during winter. First I wash and wax it. Then I use stable in the gas. Cardboard under the tires. Hook battery tender up to the battery. Then the car cover goes on. It does however get a oil change when I take it out of storage.
+1^^

I don't usually don't have to store mine being in Georgia...but the above is what I hear most folks up North doing....only thing I'd do differently is put carpet under the tires...
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Carpet under the tires, interesting.