SVT Forums

What do I need for a rebuild? Stock Cobra Motor needs rebuilt for twin screw setup

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2012, 08:09 PM
specizripn
1st Gear Member

Default What do I need for a rebuild? Stock Cobra Motor needs rebuilt for twin screw setup

Ok, so I am buying a Cobra soon once I get a plan together, and I'm thinking of putting a 2.8H Kenne bell and building the motor. Now I have been informed that the pistons have been known to fail under the higher powered twin-screw superchargers and higher boost. I figured I may as well have the whole motor rebuilt. What parts to I need to get the most power and reliability out of the motor? Input is greatly appreciated!

Mods:
I'm going to get the heads ported and polished, but do I need new valve springs, valves, or rocker roller followers?

I'm getting comp cams and adjustable cam gears.

Now For the rotating assembly I was thinking of buying a MMR 1000 or 1500 rotating assembly since they're only a few hundred dollars apart in price. Now I have a few questions about this... Do the cobras have 6 or 8 bolts? When ordering it has the option of standard bore (3.552), +.020 (3.572), +.030 (3.582), or big bore (3.700). Now which one of these is best? If I have a stock motor do I want the standard bore option, or are one of the other options better? If I chose a different option will I need the block bored out more?

Will I need new head or header gaskets?
Will I need anything else for a full performance rebuild?
I'm planning on having this built for a street and race tune so I would like it to be durable and reliable, and handle a lot of stress...
How much will the rebuild cost? (excluding parts)
I'd love to hear some input! Thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 07:33 PM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Do yourself a favor, run the stock block untill it lets go. It will last with a good tune. Then while you have your car running if you feel like spending 10k, you can build a spare motor. Trust me, im going through a rebuild right now, between head porting, cams, bearings, gaskets, arp bolts, pistons, ect... its NOT cheap. Expect to put around 10k into a new motor if your doing it right, not including the blower price. The stock motor will hold lots of power... easily into the 600-700 range for quite a while as long as its tuned right.