SVT Forums

Buying an 03 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe - a coin flip away....

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
MilitaryDave

Talking Buying an 03 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe - a coin flip away....

Sup fellas...

i've been a fan for a long time and rarely post, as i work nights and sleep days... haha.. but i really really really am gonna rely on one of you homies to do me a huge favor this one time.

long story short, i was back in CA (i'm living in north dallas for now) for the holidays and i metup with my old high school homeboys. they're all doing well, especially one of them who makes bank at his job. the dude bought a big lifted F350, a Hayabusa, and Audi S5, etc. etc.....
Back in high school, this pimp bought an 03 Mustang Cobra SVT Coupe (with some of his dad's insurance money after his dad passed away. they didn't get along well, so i guess... he did as he pleased with the money)>

anyways... we had a few brews at BJ's, and I asked "u still got the stang?"

he said: "yup... sitting in the garage. i dont use it. i think the registration is expired... i roll in the busa now and cruise in the truck".

i said... "****... i'll buy it off you!"

he said.. "ok. how's 15k? i dont use it. the damn thing sits there"

but, i knew he blew the motor back when he first got it, and was able to have FORD replace the whole FREAKEN motor, under warranty at the dealer.... so its got a new motor, with only 29k on the new motor, he got wide cobra rims in the back, bassani headers/x-pipe/exhaust, black racing stripes, (the car is yellow - so bumble bee i guess), tint, brembos/ebc pads, lighter pulleys, peformance clutch/flywheel, short throw shifter, etc.

As far as I know, the car has a "minor" exhaust leak due to the bassani headers - in which there is not gasket where the header(s) meet the block.

I've luckily never had a car with an exhaust leak, but i've been told by some good mechanically inclined friend (service writers, tech, etc) that an exhaust leak, depending on how bad and how long it's had it for, can suck cold air into the combustion chamber, and bend the VALVES - as cold/hot air is mixing.

Then again, i've had others say that anytime aftermarket headers are invovled, there's always some kind of "leak" as you will never get a perfect seal. so... i'd like a second opinion on your SVT owners. He did advise me that I should not be going past 120 mph - because it will sieze the engine becuase of some pulley and chip that it has upgraded.

that everythign will be normal when the pulley is taken off...??

Which leads me to the assumption that sometimes when its too good to be true, it usually is. so if someone with carfax or autocheck, or whatever can please please please run the VIN and lemme know if its salvage or something, then it would save me quite the headaches. i know its a CA car, so it aint flooded, or rusted or anything like that. fire maybe.. but who knows.

here's the VIN: 1FAFP48Y43F323059

thanks in advance to whoever hooks me up with the carfax report. i'll not only buy ya a beer at the next dallas meet, but i'll let you drive it around the parking lot *if its still in once piece*.... LOL

Thanks again fellas!

oh and uh... welcome to me, I guess... hahaha
Old 02-25-2012, 08:26 PM
MilitaryDave

Also forgot to mention, that "IF" i buy this car, I'm planning to fly to LAX, then drive the Cobra from Los Angeles to Dallas. 1507 miles one way - taking the 10 freeway acrross CA, AZ, NM, TX.

i've done it several times on a 96 Vic, a 95 Taurus, a 98 Express, and on my 08 Titan -

but never on an SVT. I was reading another post on here that many of you dont drive it and for some that are DD, but my concern is that is it "safe" to drive a car halfway acrross the country with an exahust leak?

from what i'm also told is that the leak is noticeable when the engine is cold, but when it warms up to operating temperature, the metal heats up, hence, expands and seals up the leak.

so....... decisions decisions... hahaha
Old 02-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

"48Y" .... its a 2003 Cobra....I'm thinking there should be a gasket, but maybe not with the Bassani headers....Why not call Bassani to confirm!!!

Good luck....and Welcome to MF!
Old 02-26-2012, 09:50 AM
redneck racer
2nd Gear Member

Should be perfectly fine to drive it that far as long as the car is mechanically sound. 6th gear will be your friend especially if you dont want to be stopping for gas 100 times along the way. As far as the tune, i would not be going into any sort of boost untill you have it tuned yourself. If he has no idea what the tune is specifically for thats on the car, you are asking for a messed up motor. If he knows its for sure tuned for that pulley, then you will be fine in boost and out of boost, but if you ever did switch pulleys it will need to be retuned.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

bassani is supposed to have a gasket i put one on my cobra...you will just need some mechanic to unbolt the header slide a gasket in and tighten it down and youll be good to go...

unless your exhaust leak is a hole the size of a baseball it wont be a problem with bending the valves...

boost is gonna be your worst enemy stay out of it totally i dont trust what that guy says about a tune...there is no reason you should have to stop at 120...my guess is no tune or bad tune...the first thing you need to do is take it to a dyno and get it checked out make sure that nothing is jacked on it

otherwise sounds like a good deal
Old 02-26-2012, 04:22 PM
MilitaryDave

yeah i can get a gasket, no problem.... and I'll have to see what pulley(s) he's got with the car.

I know he's got all the original (stock) exhaust, stock wheels (it's got chrome Cobra rims on right now) and he'll throw it in along with a set of slicks.

i doubt the exhaust leak is that big of an issue if it seals up when the the motor gets up to operating temp.... but i'll check it out as well.

what tune(s) do you guys recommend?
Old 02-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

^^^ Go to a "Tuner" for a real tune....
Old 02-27-2012, 05:07 AM
Blackvenom01
4th Gear Member

dyno tuner is a must!!!! its not worth cheaping out and blowing up your 15k investment