SVT Forums

so here i am... thinking of buying a cobra...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 10:56 PM
edub370

Default so here i am... thinking of buying a cobra...

ok.. so recently i purchased a 2009 370z.. its fantastic. quick (332whp - test pipes, intake, cat back, dyno tune) and can handle AMAZINGLY ... but i want to lower my car payments slightly... and, to be honest, i am a 15 year old deep down inside. these were my ABSOLUTE favorite cars in hs. my question is, coming from a 370z, what will i like/dislike about going to an 03/04 cobra. i want the blower, so those without, need not respond (03-04 only). but i was wondering how well these things actually handle (as the 370 handles fantastically) and what kinda power i can expect from the stock blower, with a basic bolt ones (pulley, tune, exhaust, intake). to lower my pmts i will need something that REALLY sways me... basically i want someone to tell me whether or not i will be completely regretting or completely loving the trade...

toughts??

Old 04-21-2012, 11:27 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Hey bud,

The only complaint I have would be the seats. They are comfortable enough, but they could be better. But sit in one and see what you think... Having said that, I have driven it from Atlanta to Tampa and back without any real complaints...

I love the handling in it. Compared to my Trans Am, it handles so much better. People say the IRS on it isn't that great, but it's better than the 99-01 Cobra IRS, and I love the way it feels on the road. There is an issue with wheel hop, especially if you're still learning to launch the damn thing like I am a common first mod is an IRS brace to help strengthen the differential casing to prevent any harm from that...

And that fricken blower is the best thing I've ever had in a car. It's all instant low end torque, which I think may be different from what you're used to in the 370Z... I personally LOVE it. I haven't done any work to mine, but I understand it's damn easy to get to 500rwhp with what you listed, and pretty cheap to boot.

I don't know the 370Z, but if you get past going from import style to American muscle style, then I can't imagine you regretting the purchase. It may be pushing 10 years old now but it still holds its own against most stock competition just fine. Just give one a test drive... I knew before I got out of the parking lot that I had to have it!

So in just a general way, I'd recommend the car to anyone who asked! I say go for it!

Last edited by Schmalgar; 04-21-2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:37 PM
edub370

is it bad of me to almost halfway want someone to way me towards the 370... i think the only thing that will kill me will be the interior
Old 04-22-2012, 04:26 AM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by edub370
is it bad of me to almost halfway want someone to way me towards the 370... i think the only thing that will kill me will be the interior
heh not at all... I know how it is when you're torn and you secretly just want someone to validate one option for you

Yeah the interior on the 99-04 Mustangs is considered dated. I still like it, but I understand many people can't stand it anymore. The newer Mustangs have improved on the interior quite a bit from what I've seen...

I love Zs. I knew a hot chick a while back that had a 300Z, that was a fun car! I haven't driven a 350 or 370 but I do love the style of them. Most of us get set on one 'genre' of cars and it can be hard to switch gears. Going from American Muscle to import is pretty much considered blasphemy in our crowd I imagine it's the same in the import crowd. Though the Z in my opinion is closer to American muscle than to a tuner...

I can't give you any reason to NOT buy a Terminator. I doubt anyone on THIS site will talk you out of it
Old 04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
06gtdamon
2nd Gear Member

You recieved a lot of great responses on SVTP about this. I doubt youll receive much different feedback from here lol
Like someone else said, theyre completely different cars. It depends what youre looking for. I currently have a 2003 KB Cobra, and a 2003 350z. the Z is fun, handles well, and has a nice interior.
The Cobra is a monster. Its loud, aggressive, and not 'refined'. Id sell the 350z in a second if I had to choose between them.
I hope you can make your decision after reading these threads and receive opinions from everyone. Goodluck!
Old 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM
disposablehero27
4th Gear Member

03/04 cobra, end it.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:23 AM
Timspony
SVT Section Moderator

03/04 Cobra!!!!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Rice_Killa
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Timspony
03/04 Cobra!!!!!!
What he said!!!! You won't even look back.
Old 05-05-2012, 02:56 PM
757Mustang
2nd Gear Member

Ha ha you are just like my brother, he wanted a 350z or a mustang. It is a crazy decision but like others on here have said there different cars. The z i would think handles better than the cobra... and yes i think the interior is better in the z. The only reason i know is i drive all different cars at work and have driven plenty of z's even a twin turbo'd one. But the cobra is just fast and can get almost twice as fast and twice the horsepower by putting little money down compared to other cars not to mention the IRS suspension handles pretty good for a v8 mustang. But like what others said its what you want. i like the loud, powerful, and big motors etc kind of cars. Honestly in my opinion ....Cobra is the way to go.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
CobraFrenzy
3rd Gear Member

find one forsale and test drive it.... more than likly you would be driven one home after that