SVT Forums

Feels like somebody shot my dog, then gave me cheeseburgers...

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:52 AM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Thank you!
Old 12-14-2012, 08:14 PM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Congratulations! Becoming a father is the coolest thing that's ever happened to me and probably most other guys, so welcome to the club!

But I wouldn't be so quick to jump the gun so soon on selling the Cobra unless you just want to for a change of pace. Mustangs and kids go together just fine. Try it a while and see if you can make it work. It ain't so bad.

I was driving my 67 fastback as my daily driver when my oldest was born and the wife did her damndest to make me sell it and get a "sensible" car. I nailed the Colors to the mast and refused. I told her that the fastback has been in the family a lot longer than she had and to pick another battle, Sugar.

My daughter spent her first years strapped in her Recaro car seat grinning like an idiot when I'd do as she insisted and "Go fast, Daddy! Go fast!" She was honestly in tears when I was recently considering trading it off for a nice Kubota w/attachments.

Then when my 2nd daughter made the scene, my 02 was the daily mode and now her affinity for the convertible is akin to my oldests' fondness for the fastback.

Yeah, it can be a bit of a pain in the *** at times but it's been more than worth the occasional hassle.

Mustangs and kids mix just fine.

Notice the car seat.

Last edited by fastbackford351; 12-15-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:37 AM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

I swear you read my mind! After a whole lot of back and forth I've decided I'm just not ready to let it go. I know the back seat is gonna be a pain, but I know it can be done. It's funny you mention the Recaro seats, I was just looking at them last night! My plan is to get as many bills paid off as I can by the time we have the baby, then hopefully I can keep the cobra and get a new family ride. We'll just have to see what I can do over the next 7 months
Old 12-15-2012, 08:30 AM
fastbackford351
Foghorn Leghorn

Used Crown Victorias are great family cars and they're a dime a dozen and you can't swing a dead cat without hitting one.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:23 AM
BraMas
5th Gear Member

As someone that has kids along with having a Mustang and 4 door to drive at the same time I found it easier to get the kids in the backseat of the Mustang over any 4 Door vehicle. Sure the first few month are a little harder with that carrier car seat your child will be in but after that when they start ridding in a normal car seat it will be easy to get them in and out
Old 12-18-2012, 02:01 AM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by BraMas
As someone that has kids along with having a Mustang and 4 door to drive at the same time I found it easier to get the kids in the backseat of the Mustang over any 4 Door vehicle. Sure the first few month are a little harder with that carrier car seat your child will be in but after that when they start ridding in a normal car seat it will be easy to get them in and out
That's my main concern, having to use the rear facing seat. It just seems like a pain. My daughter was probably 5 or 6 when I had my 03, and that wasn't a big deal because she could get in and out and all I had to do was buckle her in and move the seat up a little. I guess I'll see how much of a pain it is. If all else fails I have a truck, I just never drive it because it gets maybe 10 mpg on a good day!
Old 12-20-2012, 09:33 AM
uberstang1
Chupacabra

Just keep the mustang just dont drive like an *** with your kid in it.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:15 AM
notorious p.i.g
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by uberstang1
Just keep the mustang just dont drive like an *** with your kid in it.
Lol, I wasn't planning on driving like an ***..just worried about the car seat being a pain. Not gonna lie and say I don't jump on it sometimes by myself, but I like to think I'm a pretty responsible parent. Not to mention this thing is slow, and I'm pretty sure I'd get fired if I ever got caught racing.
Old 12-23-2012, 06:35 AM
uedlose
5th Gear Member

we kept our Mustang through the years, Fox body cars and have had many. even reached a point that the kids wormed there way pass the set and under the roll bar. The cars are part of our family experience the boy had his Graduation picks done with the turbo car and the daughter had hers done with the 99 Cobra that I just got a year ago heck she drives it a good bit and one day it will be hers. had the truck been running she would of had her pics done with it as she loves them darn Diesel trucks. But we also had other cars to drive when they were small