SVT Forums

1997 SVT Cobra Convertible - Newbie

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 05:07 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by BigWave916
"Older muscle" That is a great way to describe it. I've had 4 '67 Oldsmobile Cutlasses (what is plural of cutlass?) and two of those were 442s. The first was a 4 speed with 4:56 gears and headers and I had a lot of fun tormenting the guy with the Mach I. I said it was a 69 but it must have been a 70 since it was grabber blue and I don't think the grabber colors were offered in '69.

The last one was a Cutlass Supreme convertible. I bought a 455 .030 over crate motor, headers, torque converter, and a Chevy 12 bolt rear end with 4:11 gears. That thing weighed almost 4,000 pounds and would run high 12s at the strip. We'd go get ice cream with a boat load of the neighbor kids in it, ridining through town with the top down and the 455 goin' rumpety-rump-rump-rumpety-rump-rump out the tail pipes. Really had fun with it, but that was probably 15 years ago that we sold it.

Closest thing I had to a hot rod since then was my Hemi Dodge Ram. Ordered it new and I've run the crap out of it ever since. 4 wheel drive pick up that has run 15:67 at the strip.

Cool thing stuff about the Cobra:
It's a 5 speed and I miss shifting gears.
It's fast as hell, but still corners well.
It's beautiful and the top comes down.

On top of that, the dealer calls and says "We have some stuff that was supposed to go with the car. Can you come by today and pick it up?" So I head over there wondering what they might have and they present me with a folder full of SVT stuff, like brochures and memos from Ford. Included in one of the folders was an envelope containing a certificate from SVT stating that mine is #1423 of 3,088 built, and the original window sticker. Also included was every little sticker and instruction sheet provided with the car when it was new, all protected in plastic sleeves.

I was able to confirm that it was built with a white top and since the dealer's listing on the internet said it had a saddle top, I thought maybe the top had been replaced. So now I know that mine is one of 60 some in white with white top and saddle interior.

I bought this car for $4,700 under Kelley Blue Book and I'm still looking for a reason why. I hope I don't find it because instead of having buyer's remorse like I usually do, I'm shaking my head at what a sweet deal this is.

The old saying goes "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" I think I'll stop looking for something wrong and just enjoy my Mustang.
take the deal and run with it! be safe and enjoy it, maybe things finally went in your favor? haha
Old 12-29-2012, 02:06 AM
JC316
4th Gear Member

"Older muscle" That is a great way to describe it. I've had 4 '67 Oldsmobile Cutlasses (what is plural of cutlass?) and two of those were 442s. The first was a 4 speed with 4:56 gears and headers and I had a lot of fun tormenting the guy with the Mach I. I said it was a 69 but it must have been a 70 since it was grabber blue and I don't think the grabber colors were offered in '69.

The last one was a Cutlass Supreme convertible. I bought a 455 .030 over crate motor, headers, torque converter, and a Chevy 12 bolt rear end with 4:11 gears. That thing weighed almost 4,000 pounds and would run high 12s at the strip. We'd go get ice cream with a boat load of the neighbor kids in it, ridining through town with the top down and the 455 goin' rumpety-rump-rump-rumpety-rump-rump out the tail pipes. Really had fun with it, but that was probably 15 years ago that we sold it.

Closest thing I had to a hot rod since then was my Hemi Dodge Ram. Ordered it new and I've run the crap out of it ever since. 4 wheel drive pick up that has run 15:67 at the strip.

Cool thing stuff about the Cobra:
It's a 5 speed and I miss shifting gears.
It's fast as hell, but still corners well.
It's beautiful and the top comes down.
Just this year I had a 1970 Cougar that I was driving. Would have kept it, but I couldn't keep it running right and I was getting about 8MPG with the 351-2V. It was a fun car to cruise in, but made for a terrible daily.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:32 AM
BigWave916
1st Gear Member

Default Be Safe

Originally Posted by xx10Gt
take the deal and run with it! be safe and enjoy it, maybe things finally went in your favor? haha
"Be Safe" Good advice. I could get in trouble with this thing. I can hear Barney Fife now: "I would have expected this kind of behavior from some young fella, but you're old enough to know better"
Old 12-29-2012, 01:25 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

"Be Safe" Good advice. I could get in trouble with this thing. I can hear Barney Fife now: "I would have expected this kind of behavior from some young fella, but you're old enough to know better"
its easy to lose control of a car. Everytime i think to myself "im gonna floor it" , i never do. I always picture something happening like the tires breaking loose and me crashing. i couldnt imagine loosing my mustangs. I would be devastated. it keeps me in line, i drive very safely.