SVT Forums

Aftermarket Exhaust Drone Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM
NC97Cobra

Default Aftermarket Exhaust Drone Question

Hey guys, im new to these forums so ill keep this short and sweet.

I have a 97 Cobra with Flowmaster 40s mufflers. Might be a catback, but i know for a fact it has those mufflers.

I have a 99 GT with a flowmaster catback and it is much louder (so im told) and the drone inside the car at highway speeds (65-80mph) is killer.

Now to my question:

Does anyone here have an exhaust set-up that is mean/throaty/aggressive while still being relatively quiet inside the car at highway speeds?

I have been told the flowmasters cause drone inside, which i believe, and that the "bullet" style mufflers from SLP and Magnaflow offer a louder sound outside while keeping the drone down inside the car. Is there any truth to that? Thanks for any incite you can offer.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:52 PM
slipperman
1st Gear Member

I just installed a Steeda cat-back on my '04 GT and love it!

I chose this as one of the most mild aftermarket exhausts I could find (in stainless).

Just a bit more burble at idle, very mild at highway speeds and excellent roar when you lay into it.
Old 05-15-2013, 02:57 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

borla atak will SCREAM when at 50% or more throttle. 20-50% throttle gives it a very loud agressive note. anything less is definitly still noticible but mellows out especially at highway speeds and i havent had too many issues with drone.

Slp loudmouths are pretty good too
Old 05-16-2013, 05:59 AM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

My SLP LoudMouth (original version - now called LM1?) catback exhaust does not drone. I love the way it sounds on my 32V DOHC.
Old 05-17-2013, 06:03 PM
NC97Cobra

I was leaning towards the SLP or the Magnapacks....I want to wait until Mustang Week and see if I can get a catback and/or midpipe for a good price. We will see what happens.
Old 05-17-2013, 07:36 PM
Sonic Mustang
Banned

Originally Posted by NC97Cobra
I was leaning towards the SLP or the Magnapacks....I want to wait until Mustang Week and see if I can get a catback and/or midpipe for a good price. We will see what happens.
I went with SLP because they were a tier one OEM supplier -remember the Pontiac Firehawk? Their stuff is high quality and it fits.
Old 05-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Subbz
2nd Gear Member

I have the Borla Stingers on my 2000 Mustang GT and there's no drone at highway speed but it's really loud during WOT.
Old 05-18-2013, 03:50 PM
NC97Cobra

Originally Posted by Subbz
I have the Borla Stingers on my 2000 Mustang GT and there's no drone at highway speed but it's really loud during WOT.
My dad has a 2003 Mach 1 with the Borla cat-back.....he always tells me he cant hear the tires spinning but he does see a huge cloud of smoke behind him all the time.

I need to please the fiance....if she isnt happy then I catch hell for a while. But then again....a loud exhaust should drown out the complaining, eh?
Old 05-25-2013, 10:02 AM
wmfateam
1st Gear Member

Haha, my girlfriend wants to know why I haven't upgraded the stereo to hear it over the exhaust. Kids.
Old 05-26-2013, 04:11 PM
xx10Gt
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by wmfateam
Haha, my girlfriend wants to know why I haven't upgraded the stereo to hear it over the exhaust. Kids.
the exhaust is the music.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Exhaust Drone Question