MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   SVT Forums (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums-34/)
-   -   Check engine light p0430 confusion! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/svt-forums/721624-check-engine-light-p0430-confusion.html)

Scottyboy187 08-31-2015 12:59 AM

Check engine light p0430 confusion!

I have a 97 Cobra. 33k miles. It has an offroad catless BBK H-pipe and MIL eliminators. My check engine light came on with a p0420 code (bank 1 passenger side catalyst efficiency low) so I switched the sides of my O2 sensors (left to right and right to left). Both the front and rear. The cel came up again but with a p0430 code (bank 2 driver side) after the switch. I figured I had a bad sensor so I bought new ones for the driver side (front and rear). The P0430 code appeared again with the CEL, so I switched sides of only the mil eliminators and no change - still the p0430. By the way the MILS are from American muscle. None of this is adding up, I hope someone can help!
Thanks
P.s. It seems like more exhaust vapors are coming from the drivers side tailpipe rather than the passenger side. I can also smell the exhaust fumes a lot. It might be running rich but I am not getting bad gas mileage (roughly 18mpg). When I pulled the O2 sensors out they were black. Not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. Not even sure if I am running rich or not.

Scottyboy187 09-02-2015 02:03 AM

No one??? I might have a leaky injector or bad fuel pressure regulator

1996cobraconvertible 11-20-2015 02:34 PM

Not sure if this helps...

I went and bought a 96 Cobra. The guy originally had taken off the cats and ran straight. I did not want this so I told the guy to put the old cats back on. The night I picked the car up the cel was on, he said that was because it needed an 02 sensor. Made sense. I used to have a scanner but not the newer ones, went over to Autozone they send out a girl, she runs it and I get 02 sensor code. Long story short. I had another scan on it and it was coming up with two scans. The second scan was a relay which triggered the 02 bad. I never needed an 02 sensor. Moral of the story is make sure your scans are correct. So far for me so good. In the mean time I put all new exhaust with hi flo cats.

Sorry this is all I can help you with. If you are interested in what the relay was, I can check at home. Just let me know.

Scottyboy187 11-20-2015 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1996cobraconvertible (Post 8518290)
I went and bought a 96 Cobra. The guy originally had taken off the cats and ran straight. I did not want this so I told the guy to put the old cats back on. The night I picked the car up the cel was on, he said that was because it needed an 02 sensor. Made sense. I used to have a scanner but not the newer ones, went over to Autozone they send out a girl, she runs it and I get 02 sensor code. Long story short. I had another scan on it and it was coming up with two scans. The second scan was a relay which triggered the 02 bad. I never needed an 02 sensor. Moral of the story is make sure your scans are correct. So far for me so good. In the mean time I put all new exhaust with hi flo cats.

Sorry this is all I can help you with. If you are interested in what the relay was, I can check at home. Just let me know.

Thank you for your response! However I put spark plug de foulers on my o2 sensors and my cel has been gone ever since