SVT Forums

General Cobra '97 Won't Start, But Will Turnover

Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 AM
chrisgray1497

Default General Cobra '97 Won't Start, But Will Turnover

Hi,
I'm new here and looking for some advice b/c my '97 cobra won't start. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not just let me know and I'll move the post.

I bought a new battery so it's not that. It turns over (I can see the motor and belt turning) and then it makes a drawn out whining sound. It's like it tries to turn over but never catches.

The car was inspected 8 months ago and there were no issues.

I guess it might not be getting fuel? Clogged fuel pump? or maybe there's a problem with the electrical and the spark plugs aren't firing. Could it be that the cylinders aren't getting compression?

I'd really appreciate any help in narrowing it down. It's a long ride to the nearest mechanic and I'd like to narrow down the issue before I have it towed to a place that may not even be able to fix it. They don't have much experience with these engines.

Are there any known issues with these engines that might explain what I'm experiencing?

Thanks,
Chris

Hi,
I'm new here and looking for some advice b/c my '97 cobra won't start. I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not just let me know and I'll move the post.

I bought a new battery so it's not that. It turns over (I can see the motor and belt turning) and then it makes a drawn out whining sound. It's like it tries to turn over but never catches.

The car was inspected 8 months ago and there were no issues.

I guess it might not be getting fuel? Clogged fuel pump? or maybe there's a problem with the electrical and the spark plugs aren't firing. Could it be that the cylinders aren't getting compression?

I'd really appreciate any help in narrowing it down. It's a long ride to the nearest mechanic and I'd like to narrow down the issue before I have it towed to a place that may not even be able to fix it. They don't have much experience with these engines.

Are there any known issues with these engines that might explain what I'm experiencing?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-01-2017, 04:12 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

Turn the key to on but do not start the car, do you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:15 PM
chrisgray1497

Yeah. The fuel pump primes
Old 05-02-2017, 07:55 AM

If it makes a long winding sound while cranking ( still turning over) it may be as simple as the starter.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:54 PM
DRAGUL
5th Gear Member

When it is making the whining noise, does the engine stop turning over? Like 1965.5 said, it may be the starter. The gear in the starter may not be coming out to engage the flywheel.

Search this Thread