SVT Forums

Exhaust for 01 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:46 AM
coacm

Default Exhaust for 01 cobra

What do you guys think is the best sounding exhaust for the 01 cobra, I was thinking of getting a 3" catback from flowmaster. Also when shifting there seems to be a noticeable popping noise coming from the rear end, any suggestions as to what the hell that is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29847/419AE7DC4F5F4A09822C77BB7FA142FE.jpg[/IMG]
Old 02-12-2006, 06:20 PM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Exhaust for 01 cobra

I think there are a lot of really good exhaust systems available for our cars. 'Pretty partial to the flowmasters. They are a good bang for the buck considering sound, flow, and price. I have had 3 stangs with them on there and I have been pleased with them. If I was to do it again, I might go with Borla. They are a little more expensive, but their stuff is really good quality. 'Suppose that is not much help. I would go with the 2.5 inchers myself. As for the noise coming from the rear, you probably (for not having driven the car) have a problem in the differential. I am guessing... but did you have the rear gear ratio changed? Unless you are a really good and experienced mechanic, you should take it to either a good trustworthy mechanic or your local Ford service station. If you wait too long with a problem like that, you can be looking at a pretty costly repair. If you haven't had the rear gears changed, at least you will have a reason to play with the idea.

7arpad7
Old 02-14-2006, 12:07 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

A little to add... does the car make the same popping noise when you go over bigger bumps? If it does, you could just have a loose control arm. It also could be that your driveshaft is loose, or you could have a worn sleeve yoke and mainshaft spline, or it could just be that your universal joint bearings are worn or damaged.

7arpad7
Old 02-14-2006, 12:14 AM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

unless you are going to mod it to the extreme you should only go with 2.5". You might actually loose some hp from 3" if thats all you are doing. flowmasters are a nice deep sounding muffler, but if you want something a little louder/deeper than then go with the SLP Loudmouth 1's. Go to Lmperformance.com and check em out.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:34 AM
7arpad7
2nd Gear Member

As long as you don't go with some oversized headers, you will be fine with the 3" catback. There are a good deal of exhausts that have the option of dumping behind the cats and for good reason. The further back you go in your exhaust system, the more it is important for it to be freeflowing. If you expect horsepower gains from the mod though, you would be dissapointed. The exhaust is something that you would have to ballance with your intake. If there isn't any pressure built up in the current exhaust system, you will gain nothing but a "chamber" for which the sound will resonate. Ford's design team at SVT don't leave horses out in order to save a little money by putting smaller piping on the exhaust. Now, if you make intake and big engine modifications, you will gain a little from the larger exhaust. One thing that it wont do is lower your horsepower, so if the 3" exhaust makes you feel tingley all over then go for it.

7arpad7
Old 02-14-2006, 04:17 PM
SVTCobra_98
2nd Gear Member

Ya i guess if you go with a chambered muffler like flowmaster then its ok to go with 3" since the cobra has a 4v motor. But if you were going to go with the SLP which is a straight through muffler i would not reccomend 3". But for sure get the catback not just the mufflers.