Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

2015 Sighting?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 10:34 AM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

Originally Posted by maxmustang
I've seen all of the spy pics and photos and in my opinion the car looks a little more european. It still looks cool to me but you can tell it has a completely different body.
It looks at least 100-200 pounds ligther and maybe an inch or two shorter. Just too modern for me. If I want a fast modern looking car I would buy a used 335i coup...
There is only so many years you can do 'retro' before that gets dated and tired. It's a fad and like all fads, it dies. The trick is to ride the fad for as long as you can without getting buried by it. Ford is doing the right thing by getting out of the fad it started in 2005 (almost 10 years ago).

I would never take a BMW over a Mustang. A BMW 3 series looks like a 5 series which is starting to look like the 7 series and the 1 series...and now the 4 series. They all look the same. Remove the badges and the only way to tell a 335 from any other model is the dual exhaust.... Yes there are more subtle differences that car buffs can see but for 90% of the population it's not obvious and the car just fades into the crowd.

A mustang...is a mustang. You know what it is the instant you see it. Nothing else looks like it.
Old 10-10-2013, 10:43 AM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
These are my fears as well. I really hope we're wrong. The Mustang does not need to have any Euro influence in it. But everyone is going crazy over aerodynamics lately, to squeeze out more mpgs, so I fear we're not wrong. But hopefully, like the guy above said, Ford is F-ing with us and all will be well. But on the other other hand, they probably care more about attracting the 'young' crowd and might make such a change to do so...

It's interesting to me. From what I've heard through friends and family, countries like China, Japan, and even Vietnam go NUTS for Mustangs and Camaros because its the epitome of American Muscle. Changing the body to look more Euro won't make the Mustang sell in Europe. I always believed the heavy/obnoxious body styles and output of 300-500Hp was the main reason people were drawn to Mustangs. And plus, I heard on this forum that Mustangs are the number one sold car produced by Ford in recent years. Why change something THAT much when they're already doing well in sales?
Old 10-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

It's interesting to me. From what I've heard through friends and family, countries like China, Japan, and even Vietnam go NUTS for Mustangs and Camaros because its the epitome of American Muscle. Changing the body to look more Euro won't make the Mustang sell in Europe. I always believed the heavy/obnoxious body styles and output of 300-500Hp was the main reason people were drawn to Mustangs. And plus, I heard on this forum that Mustangs are the number one sold car produced by Ford in recent years. Why change something THAT much when they're already doing well in sales?
Yeah, you'd think they'd stick with it. American muscle is not about the best aerodynamics and mpgs... But politically correctness IS about those things, and we're in a very politically correct climate right now...

And the best in sales is never good enough... There is possibly a thinking that those of us who are already into American muscle will continue to buy it no matter what they do, and that they need to do something to attract people away from the various competitions. I hope that's not the case, that kind of thinking is what killed the Detroit industry in the first place, thinking 'Americans will buy American no matter what we offer so we can go cheap and make easy profits...'
Old 10-10-2013, 12:13 PM
Andrew Christian
2nd Gear Member

I very much so think you may be absolutely overthinking this.

It's a less hard s197. That didn't kill the Mustang, neither will this. If you think about it, the Charger and current Camaros only take partial cues from their muscle car past like grilles/headlights/taillights. There is a legitimate argument that the only true muscle car left being produced is the Challenger. That pig of a car is however, a pig....

I think it'll be just fine. People will rejoice over the new Mustang, it'll grow on em and they'll love it over time. I hope it's a supercar for the future. Maybe muscle cars should be left in the area their era? *insert teeth gritting, explicit shouting*

Who knows, I'm excited either way!
Old 10-10-2013, 12:19 PM
Schmalgar
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
I hope it's a supercar for the future.
And that's where we disagree. Supercars are a totally different type of car, and that's exactly what we're talking about, that we do NOT want the Mustang to become start becoming a supercar. Those of us that want sleek sports cars can buy Corvettes, Porsches, Ferarris, Lambos, etc... The Mustang should never start looking like any of that...

We may very well be overthinking and overworrying. I hope we are...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:28 PM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Andrew Christian
I very much so think you may be absolutely overthinking this.

It's a less hard s197. That didn't kill the Mustang, neither will this. If you think about it, the Charger and current Camaros only take partial cues from their muscle car past like grilles/headlights/taillights. There is a legitimate argument that the only true muscle car left being produced is the Challenger. That pig of a car is however, a pig....

I think it'll be just fine. People will rejoice over the new Mustang, it'll grow on em and they'll love it over time. I hope it's a supercar for the future. Maybe muscle cars should be left in the area their era? *insert teeth gritting, explicit shouting*

Who knows, I'm excited either way!

I agree the Challenger truly does resemble an old era Muscle car. I just don't want the Mustang to fall out of the Challenger, Camaro groups. My biggest fear is that it will resemble the g35 coup body or genesis coup and that would push this car out of the Pony/Muscle category. I bought both my Mustangs because I
viewed them as Pony/Muscle cars. Not as a heavy af sports car.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:33 PM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Derf00
There is only so many years you can do 'retro' before that gets dated and tired. It's a fad and like all fads, it dies. The trick is to ride the fad for as long as you can without getting buried by it. Ford is doing the right thing by getting out of the fad it started in 2005 (almost 10 years ago).

I would never take a BMW over a Mustang. A BMW 3 series looks like a 5 series which is starting to look like the 7 series and the 1 series...and now the 4 series. They all look the same. Remove the badges and the only way to tell a 335 from any other model is the dual exhaust.... Yes there are more subtle differences that car buffs can see but for 90% of the population it's not obvious and the car just fades into the crowd.

A mustang...is a mustang. You know what it is the instant you see it. Nothing else looks like it.

To be honest I can tell the difference between any '05 and up bmw fairly easy. 5 series are huge and they look nothing like the 6 or 7 series. And I can see how you would mix up the 328i and 335i but that's about it. I'm not trying to bash this car when I don't even know what it looks like. I'm just venting my worries for the Ford brand. Most likely I will love this car like almost every other Mustang. I'm just worried because they are making it seem like major changes are coming. If this was 2003-2004 I would be worried too about how the S197's would look. But this is the first time "Europe" is being mentioned into the Mustang body...
Old 10-10-2013, 01:34 PM
maxmustang
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Schmalgar
And that's where we disagree. Supercars are a totally different type of car, and that's exactly what we're talking about, that we do NOT want the Mustang to become start becoming a supercar. Those of us that want sleek sports cars can buy Corvettes, Porsches, Ferarris, Lambos, etc... The Mustang should never start looking like any of that...

We may very well be overthinking and overworrying. I hope we are...

Agreed
Old 10-10-2013, 09:29 PM
JimC

Originally Posted by PNYXPRESS
I was informed by someone who has ties to the inside, that Ford is Playing with everyone and is using actual fusion, taurus, and focus body panels as disguises and the true production sheetmetal hasnt been exposed yet.
I know a couple of Ford test drivers and they said that even they have never seen the car without camouflage. The most that they've seen is part of the front and rear.