Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?

Old 03-22-2014, 08:38 AM
tobaGT

Having been waffling back and forth for a while now on whether to get a 14 now on a steep incentive, or wait for a 15 for the IRS and other options, I've been comparing the cars back and forth quite a lot.

I agree 100% with the OP about the Brembo's. Subaru makes the WRX STI with Brembo's all around, Mitsu with the Evo...cars in a similar price bracket which are smaller and lighter. Why did they not fit the 2-pot rear Brembo's on the new Mustang?

Mechanically, aside from this, I think the new Mustang will be undeniably better dynamically than the outgoing model, primarily due to the IRS and related improvements up front. If they pull out some weight savings too (I heard something in the neighborhood of 200 lbs.) all the better. But, with all this, I'm thinking the price of the new one WILL be higher, comparing equivalent models.

Styling-wise, I wish the 15 had more presence. I've been looking at a lot of side-by-sides at similar angles and such, and the 15 just doesn't have a real muscular appeal to it. I do think it looks more athletic, possibly even poor-man's-aston-martin-vantage looks (that's not a bad thing), but when I think Mustang I think muscle, and to my eyes that is missing, and it's one of the biggest reasons I'm now leaning towards getting a 14 while I still can.

It's conceivable, between incentives, lower interest rates on an outgoing model and whatever the dealer might do to sell a car, and the likely price increase of the new car, to save $10,000. That buys a LOT of mods, and I don't know that the new car will have the street presence of the current one.
Old 03-22-2014, 01:21 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Sounds like a simple matter of finances. Do you want the latest and greatest model and are you willing to pay for that or would you be happy with a 2014 model. Really cant go wrong either way. If money is no object get the 2015.
Old 03-22-2014, 03:23 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default latest and greatest ??

Originally Posted by bluebeastsrt
Sounds like a simple matter of finances. Do you want the latest and greatest model and are you willing to pay for that or would you be happy with a 2014 model. Really cant go wrong either way. If money is no object get the 2015.

Not sure if i would use that term yet for the 15's. Im still waffling on the styling want to see 1 in person. After doing alot of work on the Camaro and Dodge Challenger IRS. Hope Ford makes there strong enough to handle Bolt on Mods. that GM and Dodge fell short with. So still on the Fence about the new model. Thats why i grabbed a 2014 Decent price and Love some of the performance upgrades you can get right from Ford that Dont void warrenty.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:57 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Originally Posted by bryan67
Not sure if i would use that term yet for the 15's. Im still waffling on the styling want to see 1 in person. After doing alot of work on the Camaro and Dodge Challenger IRS. Hope Ford makes there strong enough to handle Bolt on Mods. that GM and Dodge fell short with. So still on the Fence about the new model. Thats why i grabbed a 2014 Decent price and Love some of the performance upgrades you can get right from Ford that Dont void warrenty.
What exactly are you seeing with the Camaro IRS? I own a bolt on 2011 L99 that has made about 100 passes on drag radials with no ill effects. 12.3s@111 all day.
Old 03-23-2014, 07:42 AM
tobaGT

I went to the dealer yesterday and factory ordered a 2014. I dealt with the sales manager as he's a friend of a friend. Although he didn't have official pricing on it, he did say he was told the price would go up 5-10% for the 2015 depending on trim/options. I'd say anybody else that's on the fence about which car to get and if money's one of your deciding factors, you're running out of time.
Old 03-23-2014, 03:16 PM
bryan67
2nd Gear Member

Default right side bearing failures

What exactly are you seeing with the Camaro IRS? I own a bolt on 2011 L99 that has made about 100 passes on drag radials with no ill effects. 12.3s@111 all day.
Know of 3 locally. that have just destroyed their center sections. My buddies car has done it twice now. Hes upgrading this winter to the Strange 9 3/4 center section with Driveshaft shop axles. Heres a quote from HRM mag. about the IRS failures.
RS and Driveshaft

Fifth Gen Camaro Parts Failure Kicked in the ***: On its third dragstrip launch running Hoosier slicks, this aftermarket

The V8 Camaro's IRS (independent rear suspension) has 218mm (8.58-inch) rear gears and a clutch-type limited-slip diff. The gears are unique. Stock ratios are 3.27 or 3.45:1; Richmond has 3.70 and 4.10:1 ratios. The current stock rear is marginal for serious high-perf use.

Rear suspension flex (450 hp): IPS reports toe-arm failures as low as 25 to 50 hp over stock. Pfadt has stiffeners; BMR offers adjustable units. Excessive wheelhop can damage the rear trailing arms, contributing to differential problems (Pfadt and LPE have upgrades). Hotchkis sells a Chassis Max Brace to control unwanted suspension movement.

Rear subframe flex (475 hp): The stock subframe bushings allow excess cradle movement, causing lost power and bad traction. Replace with solid or polyurethane bushings for better rear-cradle durability and improved handling. Pfadt is one source.

Gears fail (500-plus horsepower): Only a three-series Posi carrier is available, so the pinion gets really small as gear ratio increases. Tire type and driving style influence longevity big time.

Halfshafts break (wheelhop, 500 to 600 hp): The more severe the wheelhop, the sooner the drive axles break. The stock computer calibration limits axlehop, but that also limits performance. Knowing when to back off the throttle is the cheap fix, followed by lighter-weight wheels and tires (because they have less inertia), and ultimately stouter aftermarket axles.

Posi problems (various): Jannetty says the stock Posi is weak: "It's prone to one-legger burnouts; the breakaway torque is way too low." Its Posi mods include upgraded clutch packs and a different preload spring. With a tuned Posi and revised internal gear preload, clearances, and patterns, the stock rear can take up to 750 hp, but 650 hp is more realistic for daily driving.

Driveshaft issues (over 5,000 rpm): Most report that the stock two-piece driveshaft is surprisingly robust. LPE's 9-second Camaro uses a shortened, stock, two-piece 'shaft, but with an improved center support to prevent the middle slider from twisting and binding. However, The Driveshaft Shop maintains that "anything with a slider is unstable over 5,000-rpm driveshaft speed." Its solutions range from a stouter two-piece unit with a CV joint or a one-piece aluminum or carbon-fiber 'shaft.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...#ixzz2wopRhOKS
Old 03-30-2014, 11:38 AM
radioguy1

Originally Posted by tobaGT
I went to the dealer yesterday and factory ordered a 2014. I dealt with the sales manager as he's a friend of a friend. Although he didn't have official pricing on it, he did say he was told the price would go up 5-10% for the 2015 depending on trim/options. I'd say anybody else that's on the fence about which car to get and if money's one of your deciding factors, you're running out of time.
Congratulations on the new 2014. I won't be surprised to see the 2015 go up - for the GT premium model - by 10%. The premium model has been climbing fast for the last 10 years - much faster then inflation. I also just don't feel like the 2015 Mustang has much "presence." It just looks too much like too many other cars, especially from the front and side - including the new Fusion. The "sissy headlights" may be great for aerodynamics, but they look like every other car. The "hexagon" grill is a real "copycat." I hope the new GT350 will have some "distinctive Mustang" styling.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:00 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Know of 3 locally. that have just destroyed their center sections. My buddies car has done it twice now. Hes upgrading this winter to the Strange 9 3/4 center section with Driveshaft shop axles. Heres a quote from HRM mag. about the IRS failures.
RS and Driveshaft

Fifth Gen Camaro Parts Failure Kicked in the ***: On its third dragstrip launch running Hoosier slicks, this aftermarket

The V8 Camaro's IRS (independent rear suspension) has 218mm (8.58-inch) rear gears and a clutch-type limited-slip diff. The gears are unique. Stock ratios are 3.27 or 3.45:1; Richmond has 3.70 and 4.10:1 ratios. The current stock rear is marginal for serious high-perf use.

Rear suspension flex (450 hp): IPS reports toe-arm failures as low as 25 to 50 hp over stock. Pfadt has stiffeners; BMR offers adjustable units. Excessive wheelhop can damage the rear trailing arms, contributing to differential problems (Pfadt and LPE have upgrades). Hotchkis sells a Chassis Max Brace to control unwanted suspension movement.

Rear subframe flex (475 hp): The stock subframe bushings allow excess cradle movement, causing lost power and bad traction. Replace with solid or polyurethane bushings for better rear-cradle durability and improved handling. Pfadt is one source.

Gears fail (500-plus horsepower): Only a three-series Posi carrier is available, so the pinion gets really small as gear ratio increases. Tire type and driving style influence longevity big time.

Halfshafts break (wheelhop, 500 to 600 hp): The more severe the wheelhop, the sooner the drive axles break. The stock computer calibration limits axlehop, but that also limits performance. Knowing when to back off the throttle is the cheap fix, followed by lighter-weight wheels and tires (because they have less inertia), and ultimately stouter aftermarket axles.

Posi problems (various): Jannetty says the stock Posi is weak: "It's prone to one-legger burnouts; the breakaway torque is way too low." Its Posi mods include upgraded clutch packs and a different preload spring. With a tuned Posi and revised internal gear preload, clearances, and patterns, the stock rear can take up to 750 hp, but 650 hp is more realistic for daily driving.

Driveshaft issues (over 5,000 rpm): Most report that the stock two-piece driveshaft is surprisingly robust. LPE's 9-second Camaro uses a shortened, stock, two-piece 'shaft, but with an improved center support to prevent the middle slider from twisting and binding. However, The Driveshaft Shop maintains that "anything with a slider is unstable over 5,000-rpm driveshaft speed." Its solutions range from a stouter two-piece unit with a CV joint or a one-piece aluminum or carbon-fiber 'shaft.

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/g...#ixzz2wopRhOKS

lol everything you quoted there doesn't apply to a bolt on Camaro. 450whp is cam plus full bolt-ons. 500whp is supercharger territory. When you heavily mod any car you have to upgrade the rear, transmission, etc. Just look at all the clutch and automatic transmission problems the Mustang GT has had! You may know a guy that knows a guy. I actually own a 2011 Camaro with a ton of passes on drag radials and im telling you your incorrect. A bolt on car (400-450whp) will live a long happy life with the IRS. But if you take a car that originally ran a 13.0 and try to push it into the 10s or 11s, Things are going to break. that's the nature of drag racing.

Last edited by bluebeastsrt; 04-01-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-02-2014, 05:37 PM
danzcool
5th Gear Member

I'd like to see an ecoboost V8, LOL.
Old 04-02-2014, 07:32 PM
Hamidar05
2nd Gear Member

lol everything you quoted there doesn't apply to a bolt on Camaro. 450whp is cam plus full bolt-ons. 500whp is supercharger territory. When you heavily mod any car you have to upgrade the rear, transmission, etc. Just look at all the clutch and automatic transmission problems the Mustang GT has had! You may know a guy that knows a guy. I actually own a 2011 Camaro with a ton of passes on drag radials and im telling you your incorrect. A bolt on car (400-450whp) will live a long happy life with the IRS. But if you take a car that originally ran a 13.0 and try to push it into the 10s or 11s, Things are going to break. that's the nature of drag racing.
You are in denial and need to do more research dude... heat treating problems and other issues plagued the it when it first came out. But whatever.. you have a ton of posts, so you must know more....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would you like to see or are disappointed about in the 2015?