Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Get premium just for the drive modes?

Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by topangler25
There is a very noticeable difference between the drive modes and not just adjustments to the traction control. The throttle feels very sluggish after driving in sport plus or track mode when using the normal and snow/rain mode, like driving an old 6 cylinder. There is a change in not just throttle response but timing as well. Lets not forget the steering as well. The regular GT only gets the steering selection which is normal, comfort, and sport. The GT Premium still gets the steering adjustment separate from the drive modes so you can have sport plus mode but go with normal steering if that is what you want. Pretty cool.
How do you know timing is changed?
Old 05-29-2015, 11:56 AM
topangler25
1st Gear Member

The PCM will adjust engine timing to limit the power/torque output of the engine for traction control and stability control purposes. The drive modes (at least when in sport and track mode) make adjustments to the traction control feature and therefore adjust engine timing to suit the desired selection. It is not just turning off the traction control but rather adjusting the amount of intervention. This is more efficent at adjusting engine power over say just controlling the fuel injector pulses (which it will do together with VCT adjustment) to reach the desired torque output. Throttle response is just how quick you can tap the power but does not change the engine power. While drive mode does change multiple parameters I think what is most noticable is the traction control/timing and throttle response. Steering change can be felt I guess but is more noticable when going from comfort to sport independant from the drive modes.
Old 05-30-2015, 01:16 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Obviously there is something I'm missing. Maybe someone can educate me on what I'm missing.

If I buy a Mustang GT, why wouldn't I want the most responsiveness available everytime I start the car. That's exactly why I bought the Mustang GT rather than some other mild mannered, pick up the kids, & buy bread & milk car? The more you guys talk about this option the worse it sounds. It sounds like the "biggest advantage" is that I have to reset the "Drive Modes" everytime I start the car. That sounds horrible! It seems to me it is just something else to play with for those who love pushing buttons like a computer game. I'd prefer to simply tune the car to the most responsive settings so everytime I start it up it is that way. Why PAY EXTRA FOR settings to make it less responsive? I get Ford's motivation whic is $$$, but what is mine to pay only for options I want & use? It seems to make an argument for getting the base car at far less money & adding a few after market mods. I realize everyone is different & I'm not criticizing other people's choices, but for me, I don't to use satellite radio, I use the telephone as little as possible in the car, and I don't need a setup for the track or racing etc., etc. The $6 to $7K, I save on all these things I don't really use or want, will go along way to buying a Roush Supercharger & some nice looking vinyl I do want. Of course it's all a matter of individual choice, but I think I'd rather have a 600+ HP car to for the performance I buy a Mustang GT for than the other Ford options adding another $7k or more.

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-30-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:47 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by topangler25
The PCM will adjust engine timing to limit the power/torque output of the engine for traction control and stability control purposes. The drive modes (at least when in sport and track mode) make adjustments to the traction control feature and therefore adjust engine timing to suit the desired selection. It is not just turning off the traction control but rather adjusting the amount of intervention. This is more efficent at adjusting engine power over say just controlling the fuel injector pulses (which it will do together with VCT adjustment) to reach the desired torque output. Throttle response is just how quick you can tap the power but does not change the engine power. While drive mode does change multiple parameters I think what is most noticable is the traction control/timing and throttle response. Steering change can be felt I guess but is more noticable when going from comfort to sport independant from the drive modes.
Usually when people talk engine timing, they are not talking about adjustments made to a traction control system, they are talking about ignition timing during normal operation. What you're talking about are programming changes to the traction control and stability systems. It is my understanding that there is no change in engine timing outside of when the traction control systems are retarding spark.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:45 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by Mr. D
Obviously there is something I'm missing. Maybe someone can educate me on what I'm missing.

If I buy a Mustang GT, why wouldn't I want the most responsiveness available everytime I start the car. That's exactly why I bought the Mustang GT rather than some other mild mannered, pick up the kids, & buy bread & milk car? The more you guys talk about this option the worse it sounds. It sounds like the "biggest advantage" is that I have to reset the "Drive Modes" everytime I start the car. That sounds horrible! It seems to me it is just something else to play with for those who love pushing buttons like a computer game. I'd prefer to simply tune the car to the most responsive settings so everytime I start it up it is that way. Why PAY EXTRA FOR settings to make it less responsive? I get Ford's motivation whic is $$$, but what is mine to pay only for options I want & use? It seems to make an argument for getting the base car at far less money & adding a few after market mods. I realize everyone is different & I'm not criticizing other people's choices, but for me, I don't to use satellite radio, I use the telephone as little as possible in the car, and I don't need a setup for the track or racing etc., etc. The $6 to $7K, I save on all these things I don't really use or want, will go along way to buying a Roush Supercharger & some nice looking vinyl I do want. Of course it's all a matter of individual choice, but I think I'd rather have a 600+ HP car to for the performance I buy a Mustang GT for than the other Ford options adding another $7k or more.
Yea D. the more I have been reading about the drive mode stuff, and remembering what you have posted about your preferences, it seems like you should save the $3000 that the premium costs, and then just upgrade as you think you need to.
Old 05-31-2015, 02:33 AM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

Getting the premium Mustang just for driving modes is a waste in my opinion. I ordered the premium for the Cermanic two tone leather interior. Sound system, etc. The very first thing Ill likely do is tune CAI the car which will ad a ton more performance than clicking a button and setting the car to sport mode.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
JohnnyB15GT
1st Gear Member

Mr. D, I hear what you're saying about resetting the drive mode each time. It is a royal pain and half the time I forget until I get about 10-15 min into my drive. Someone does need to rewrite the program for this it stays in Sport+.

I can't speak to the responsiveness of the standard platform. If somebody does a program to increase responsiveness, than the standard Mustang would probably be fine. I bought the Premium not just for the drive modes, but because I wanted a little nicer interior. This is an individual choice and everyone has to make their own decision on this.

As I stated previously, I feel that the Sport+ mode is much more responsive than the standard mode (which feels lethargic to me) and potentially gives you better control over the vehicle. Just my thoughts.

As I stated above, I do someone writes a program to default to whichever mode you desire. The steering mode stays were you set it, don't know why the drive mode doesn't. Must be a liability thing.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:32 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

Originally Posted by Mr. D

I don't really think you're missing anything.

I will say that sport mode in the automatic w/o the premium package may not be the mode you would want to use all the time around town. This is because the tranny is programmed to hold the gears longer, which results in engine braking and downshifting when you're slowing down (there's no equivalent to pushing in the clutch pedal and coasting). So when you're coming up to a light in sport mode, slowing down from say, 45mph, your tranny will go from 4th or 5th and shift down into each gear as you slow down. This will make your ride much less "smooth", as though you were in a manual and the driver downshifted into 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and finally 1st before stopping instead of disengaging the clutch. I would certainly say this is not something you would use to drive your wife to dinner unless you were running way late.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:58 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
I don't really think you're missing anything.

I will say that sport mode in the automatic w/o the premium package may not be the mode you would want to use all the time around town. This is because the tranny is programmed to hold the gears longer, which results in engine braking and downshifting when you're slowing down (there's no equivalent to pushing in the clutch pedal and coasting). So when you're coming up to a light in sport mode, slowing down from say, 45mph, your tranny will go from 4th or 5th and shift down into each gear as you slow down. This will make your ride much less "smooth", as though you were in a manual and the driver downshifted into 4th, 3rd, 2nd, and finally 1st before stopping instead of disengaging the clutch. I would certainly say this is not something you would use to drive your wife to dinner unless you were running way late.
Good post, thanx! I think you are right that the change in transmission programming would be nice when a person wants to play with the car & elongate shift points. I suspect they have to have a default to the most comfortable driving mode or they would get complaints from wives, etc. I think with an automatic I would be using the Paddle Shifters for playing around. One of the reasons I love the Roush Supercharger is that you get a lot of HP with the most comfortable driving experience when you keep your foot out of it. I think the GT 350 approach to getting HP will provide a less comfortable everyday cruiser. That's not a criticism, but possibly a reality of naturally aspirated high HP engines. I maybe wrong, so I'm interested to drive a GT 350 when available. I bet they'll be great, & I may fall in love if I drive one. As of now, I think I want the standard GT 5.0L with/or without a supercharger. For someone that is not going to push the car around curves, or track it, I think it would be more bang for the buck. I guess the MRSP on the GT 350 will tell us a lot about that! Like the GT 500, I doubt there will be many discounted deals on GT 350. Buying at a good price makes it hurt less when you sell it in 5 or 8 years & want a new Mustang!

I'd love to see them build the new 5.2L Flat Crank engine designed for adding a supercharger! Yikes! Where can I get an after market scatter shield????????????