Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Test drive

Old 05-17-2015, 07:29 AM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Default Test drive

While the wife's vert was getting a brake job, we were driving around and stopped at a dealer and decided to finally break down and test drive a '15. It was a white GT manual with the premium package. The salesman was drooling over the snake too. Here's what my thoughts are and my wife seemed to mirror them too.

Positives:

The transmission and clutch feel revolutionary compared to the Shelby. It's still the original clutch with 18k in it, but I do recall it taking a long time to get used to the clutch in the GT500. I can pound the gears in the snake, but the clutch and transmission in the new GT definitely feel a lot smoother, more refined and pressure required is nothing compared to the Shelby.

Steering is fantastic. You point it and it goes exactly where you want. However, it feels all a bit disconnected. I couldn't really feel or read the road at all through the steering. Of course, also much much less force required too.

Suspension. Smooth like butter. I didnt get to do much in the way of cornering but it felt planted the entire time. I did deliberately pound some of the epic potholes we have here and guys, I have to say that this is also revolutionary. It was very refined, no feeling of the back end bouncing about...it's fantastic.

View over the hood is improved and there's no rattle making me think did I latch the hood properly? Road noise is about the same as the snake, obviously much better than her 07 vert, but I don't think it was better than the 10 I had.

Uh, air conditioned seats? YES PLEASE! I was in heaven with those!

Negatives:

Power. Now, don't mistake this for me saying it's gutless. It's not. It has great acceleration, feels planted and overall it's quick. It's as fast as or faster than my wife's car. Is it brutal like the Shelby? Heck no. Even with mild mods, it's clear my car is quicker.

Trunk space - The sales guy kept saying how much trunk space was recovered with the abandonment of the live axle. I don't see it. It looks the same to me and that subwoofer looked tiny. Almost made me laugh.

Gadgets and gizmos. This is hilarious because I love electronics. But boy, it sure felt busy in there. I think I could get used to it quick, but the toggle switches that I was so excited about a retro function aren't really true toggles. I guess some things I want true retro just arent meant to be.

I still hate the back end of these. I abhor those taillights. The front has grown on me quite a bit and there is some definite parts of the bodylines I'm digging. But the rear is so fugly to me and my wife...nope.

Overall there's no way I'd trade my Shelby in on one. The 15 is far more refined than the snake. Shelby feels and drives more like a pickup in some ways then that GT did. But the snake is just pure, brutal fun. I guess Im still too young and dumb to turn in my youthfulness for something that is supposed to be quieter, smoother, more economical and a better value. Would I love it if my wife traded her 07 vert in on a 15 vert? If I could get over those taillights...yes.

If I had kids, would I want them to have this over the previous gens? Definitively yes. I think this would fare extremely well in a crash and I think they'd be much less likely to be in a crash. It simply feels much more forgiving then other 'stangs I own or have had. I'd get them the eco-4, then take the turbo out though lol

Would I recommend it to someone who equally liked both body styles? Yes, I would.

I totally admit that Ford did a fantastic job with this car, but I can't get over some of my personal preferences. It saddens me a bit because I was hoping the GT350 and R would push me over the edge, but time and again, I just can't.

I guess if I want IRS, I'm going to have to find a Cobra R.
Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Rudolph Hucker
4th Gear Member

great review dude..seems ford nailed it now with the irs..your comments describe exactly how i feel about my new car .
sell your shelby and buy one i rekon..i sold my 2010 and went camaro and simply love it.
Old 05-17-2015, 02:25 PM
wcgman
5th Gear Member

Rudolph - sorry I cant buy a Chevy. I'm a Ford guy through and through.

Except maybe the new Stingray. Now that's a pretty sweet car, but I'd still keep the snake.
Old 05-17-2015, 09:21 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

I didn't like the 2015 changes in the pictures, but everytime I see a 2015 in the flesh I like it more & more. The Camaro independent rear suspension didn't produce a great ride, about the same as a solid axle Mustang, but the 2015 Mustang is a world of difference. You are right that it feels planted & solid like a heavier car. Ford has done a great job. I suspect the GT 350 will cost the "Dream Cars" some sales. It won't be as richly appointed with expensive materials, but when you look at "Bang for the Buck" it's a lot more car for the buck than any of the Dream Cars. It will be a Dream Car a working man can think about owning. I suspect it will surpise a few of the Dream Cars on the track. I've been a Chevy guy until 2008 when I bought a Mustang, but Chevys just don't do it for me any more. I think they have ruined the looks of the Corvette, & the Camaro looks like a kid's Transformer toy, but then I'm old! LOL! I still like the '08 is a better looking car, but the improvements in the 2015 got me to sell my '08, I'm looking forward to buying a 2016 Mustang & pushing the HP up a bit! I'm not loyal to any brand car at all, but the 2016 Mustang is a great car.

Last edited by Mr. D; 05-17-2015 at 09:28 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:36 PM
redass02gt
EXTREME Moderation

I also thought the 2015 was a little numb feeling on the road because you didn't feel every little tiny bump or hole like in my '02 or the wife's '06 GT. After driving it and getting used to not feeling every single stupid pebble, I would not say that again. You're still connected to the road, just not with a solid axle. You know every bump is there, it just that you don't need to adjust your steering to them, and they don't wake you up. The closest comparison is how a BMW rides vs. a solid axle mustang - still sporty but not uncomfortable and not like a boat.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:43 PM
bluebeastsrt
6th Gear Member

I traded in my 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS for a 2015 GT premium. The ride and interior in the new Mustang is simply amazing for a car in this price range. The steering is sharp. I'd call it M3 like! The exterior styling has grown on me to the point that I feel it's on par with the Camaro.
Old 05-23-2015, 08:25 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

Originally Posted by redass02gt
I also thought the 2015 was a little numb feeling on the road because you didn't feel every little tiny bump or hole like in my '02 or the wife's '06 GT. After driving it and getting used to not feeling every single stupid pebble, I would not say that again. You're still connected to the road, just not with a solid axle. You know every bump is there, it just that you don't need to adjust your steering to them, and they don't wake you up. The closest comparison is how a BMW rides vs. a solid axle mustang - still sporty but not uncomfortable and not like a boat.
That's about how I felt. It seems like a heavier car in the ride. I think it's a lot of car for the money. When you look at the performance available for the base Mustang in both the Ecoboost & the GT, I think Ford has done pretty well. It's interesting how little advertising on the Mustang. Sales must be good.