Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Ford racing strut tower brace

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 07:40 AM
Monumaker

Default Ford racing strut tower brace

Ok guys I have a GT premium without the PP... I orderd the ford racing strut tower brace in hopes of tightening up the front under heavy acceleration. The brace comes with two pieces. One for over the engine and one for behind it. I went to install them both this weekend and I'm pretty sure my car already has the one behind the motor. It looks exactly the same... Do I need to pull the one that's there from the factory or do I just bolt on the one across the top of the motor and call it good???
Old 06-22-2015, 07:54 AM
madweazl

Remove it and compare it side by side with the unit that came with the brace. Since it's off now, just install what came with the tower brace :lol:
Old 06-22-2015, 07:57 AM
MontelG
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Monumaker
Ok guys I have a GT premium without the PP... I orderd the ford racing strut tower brace in hopes of tightening up the front under heavy acceleration. The brace comes with two pieces. One for over the engine and one for behind it. I went to install them both this weekend and I'm pretty sure my car already has the one behind the motor. It looks exactly the same... Do I need to pull the one that's there from the factory or do I just bolt on the one across the top of the motor and call it good???
Check the factory one closely. There is another "version" that comes stock that doesn't go from side to side and it is plastic. The plastic on is just support for a couple of parts. Since you didn't have the one between the strut towers, you almost certainly have the cosmetic plastic one behind it.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Monumaker

Originally Posted by MontelG
Check the factory one closely. There is another "version" that comes stock that doesn't go from side to side and it is plastic. The plastic on is just support for a couple of parts. Since you didn't have the one between the strut towers, you almost certainly have the cosmetic plastic one behind it.
The stock is definitely not plastic, and it goes the entire way down to the passenge side tower and is bolted down. I think it's the same exact thing that's in the box.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Monumaker

Originally Posted by madweazl
Remove it and compare it side by side with the unit that came with the brace. Since it's off now, just install what came with the tower brace :lol:
Well I'm trying to avoid pulling that off if it's the same thing. Thanks for the help though.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 AM
MontelG
1st Gear Member

Originally Posted by Monumaker
The stock is definitely not plastic, and it goes the entire way down to the passenge side tower and is bolted down. I think it's the same exact thing that's in the box.
Hmmm. That'd be the first I've heard of the full metal back bracket being included without the strut tower bar. I've only heard of both brackets coming on the car or just the plastic half one in the back. If it is metal and connects to both strut towers and the cowl, I wouldn't bother swapping it if it were me.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:02 AM
Monumaker

I just checked again. Layed the supplied back brace across it and I think it's exactly the same. The one that's there stock is deff 100% metal and goes all the from side to side. I'm gonna install the one across the engine and see what happens...
Old 06-22-2015, 08:51 PM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Pics or a video, or it never happened, and all sources say the stock one doesn't go from side to side.
Originally Posted by 908ssp
This is the STB that matters not that silly thing going over the engine. If your car was a PP it will have the long steel on in the picture if it doesn't have that it has the short plastic one. Put the long steel on on FIRST. Then buy the cosmetic one of course having it functional might not matter to you.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:13 PM
Monumaker

Ok... Fair enough. I did take a few pics, but I think a vid will do more justice. I'll get on up tomorrow.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:18 PM
Monumaker

Quick Reply: Ford racing strut tower brace