Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

new 15 GT premium, HEADER ADVICE, DFW?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 05:37 PM
Roxon68

Default new 15 GT premium, HEADER ADVICE, DFW?

hi all im new grabbed me a 15 gt premium over labor day 0% for 72, had several mustangs from 60s, 70s, 80s but not lately, man this new 15 is something else aint that a fact. did KnN cold air myself now looking at performance exhaust and was totally bamboozled when muffler shops in my area (denton texas) were like "we dont do headers" so first question maybe anyone here knows, WHO would do a performance exhaust from headers all way back to tips for my 15 stang in DFW, texas area??? and second what does anyone recommend for the parts in the system?? and since i live in a rural county in texas i have no emmision test so could bypass ALL smog if its possible. help appreciated!!
Attached Thumbnails new 15 GT premium, HEADER ADVICE, DFW?-img_20150905_174122_421.jpg   new 15 GT premium, HEADER ADVICE, DFW?-img_20150905_174149_465.jpg  
Old 09-16-2015, 08:22 PM
firecoyote

just remember that you would still need catalytic converters even though you're in a no emissions county. It is just a visual inspection for cats so they don't have to function but they have to be in place.

Nice buy, btw. I've been checking out exhausts as well but don't want to mess with the cats and the tunes necessary after doing a full install like that. there are quite a few performance shops in dfw that'll take care of ya but it'll just be your preference and using google to see who is closest to you and seeing who you want to take business to.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:29 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

I use Pinnacle Motorsports at Eagles Canyon. Gregg runs an excellent shop.

I'm probably going to go with the Borla headers because the Ford Racing catback already on my car is actually just a relabeled Borla catback. However, it does have the issue w/ cats too. I need to look around some more before I make a decision.
Old 09-17-2015, 08:03 PM
Roxon68

i live very close to eagles canyon, im just across 51, 5 mins SW of slidell, on weekends i can hear the races over there, ive never been there though but im going to call tomorrow and talk to greg, i did find a place, lone star performance in addison and talked to guy that sounded like he knew his stuff he said he could do a high quality exhaust (kooks, etc) long tubes to tips including the SCT tuner that he said is the best right now for fords for 3500 to 4000. no cats the guy that inspects my car dont even look, but my concern is maybe it will be so loud he WOULD look, so maybe yeah just punch em and have em for looks. but man that price GEEZ, i remember hooker headers was less than $200 but yeah that was "back in the day" but still OMFG seen on amazon the catback xpipe back gibson system for $600 and normal muffler shop be $150 to install and dont need a special tune etc. i know it will mostly be JUST sound ill gain not performance but man 4 grand for an exhaust damit man!!
Old 09-18-2015, 11:20 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

lets see, based on what I have and what I'm getting:
Ford Racing (Borla) Sport Cat Back w/ black tips $1379.99
Kooks long tube catted headers 1 7/8 $1647.99
Install and dyno tune $500 (est)
total: $3527.98 (est) + tax

Not really sure what that real power increase is. I've heard the headers are worth roughly 20 to 30hp. the catback is another 10 to 20. Gotta decide if $4K is worth up to 50hp.

I'll be at ECR on Sunday to run the bike for a few sessions. Aaralyn will probably do a few hot laps too.
Old 09-19-2015, 03:04 PM
Roxon68

i talked to greg yesterday and he told me wise county is going to be doing emissions test soon, they are already working on getting the right gear in, even though my car is new and sticker good for 2 years ive decided against altering or eliminating the cats. greg also said he doesnt really think a long tube system is worth it for me. he said for the cost for the hp gained just isnt really worth it. he said just cold air and a cat back would be a better option. bang for buck wise, so ill probably just go that route, just cant justify 3k+ more for 10-20 hp, he said thats all headers really do on these new mustangs
Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 PM
Mr. D
4th Gear Member

In my opinion, if you are REALLY talking about "bang for the buck", buy a good tuner & stop there! A lot of people just want to do something else to their Mustang.

I sold firearms for a few years while in college. Some guys wanted to buy a Winchester 30/30 because they loved cool cowboy carbines. I soon found out that with many guys if I tried to tell them in was a poor choice for most any kind of hunting, they would just buy it somewhere else & I'd lose a sale. So... I would try to tell them once, & when I saw they weren't going to listen I sold them the 30/30. Last night I saw a guy getting a 28 gauge shotgun for his wife. It had every downside except a little less weight for a woman wanting to hunt seriously. I would have suggested a 12 Gauge using the appropriate shell configuration for what they wanted to accomplish because of numerous factual reasons regarding shell cost, patterns, recoil, shot trail, etc. Some people want to buy what they want to buy & don't want to be confused with facts. It takes the fun out of things for them! This might even be true with cars! (I'm starting to sound like I'm writing in the Politics Thread! Some people really don't want any facts there!)

Last edited by Mr. D; 09-19-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 06:49 AM
scottmach
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
Not really sure what that real power increase is. I've heard the headers are worth roughly 20 to 30hp. the catback is another 10 to 20.
The gain in the headers will be mostly from ditching the cats. And a catback isn't worth anything for performance gains.
Old 09-20-2015, 07:59 AM
Roxon68

Originally Posted by Mr. D
In my opinion, if you are REALLY talking about "bang for the buck", buy a good tuner & stop there! A lot of people just want to do something else to their Mustang.

I sold firearms for a few years while in college. Some guys wanted to buy a Winchester 30/30 because they loved cool cowboy carbines. I soon found out that with many guys if I tried to tell them in was a poor choice for most any kind of hunting, they would just buy it somewhere else & I'd lose a sale. So... I would try to tell them once, & when I saw they weren't going to listen I sold them the 30/30. Last night I saw a guy getting a 28 gauge shotgun for his wife. It had every downside except a little less weight for a woman wanting to hunt seriously. I would have suggested a 12 Gauge using the appropriate shell configuration for what they wanted to accomplish because of numerous factual reasons regarding shell cost, patterns, recoil, shot trail, etc. Some people want to buy what they want to buy & don't want to be confused with facts. It takes the fun out of things for them! This might even be true with cars! (I'm starting to sound like I'm writing in the Politics Thread! Some people really don't want any facts there!)
thats true in alot of cases, people want what they want and when it comes to the real numbers they may just ignore them cus they want what they want lol. i REALLY wanted a long tube system because im old school and used to do em alot and loved the sound plus HP gain and they wasnt no freaking $1500+ JUST for the headers. things have changed on that so im out on those I guess and yeah i know the cat back will be sound only no real hp gain but i did get a few from my cold air and i was going to get a trinity diablo tuner cus i like the little touch screen that sits on the dash and all the things it does besides just tuning. BUT homer dude at one shop was like OH NO dont get that for the new mustangs get the SCT for 400 and all it does is tune no cool screen etc im like DAMIT MAN GEEZ. haha but yeah when i have greg do my catback he "has a ford guy" that comes in JUST to do the tune and ill have that done if i can get anything out of it.
Old 09-20-2015, 08:53 AM
AK_Kayaker
3rd Gear Member

Originally Posted by squishbang
lets see, based on what I have and what I'm getting:
Ford Racing (Borla) Sport Cat Back w/ black tips $1379.99
Kooks long tube catted headers 1 7/8 $1647.99
Install and dyno tune $500 (est)
total: $3527.98 (est) + tax

Not really sure what that real power increase is. I've heard the headers are worth roughly 20 to 30hp. the catback is another 10 to 20. Gotta decide if $4K is worth up to 50hp.

I'll be at ECR on Sunday to run the bike for a few sessions. Aaralyn will probably do a few hot laps too.
I can't remember from your other threads, but I hope you are doing a base line dyno, so you will be able to post up what a full exhaust with tune can do power wise, especially since you will be keeping the cats.

Quick Reply: new 15 GT premium, HEADER ADVICE, DFW?