Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Wins and misses w/ the '15 GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 01:44 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Default Wins and misses w/ the '15 GT

I have a Premium w/ the Performance pack

Wins:
*sun glasses compartment to the left of the steering wheel - it's stupid that I make a big deal out of it but it's a quirky attention to detail that I just love about this car.
*hidden glove box in the glove box - Open the glove box, push the little yellow button and another glove box inside the glove box opens! Put your paperwork and stuff in here. Or drugs. Whichever.
*The Recaros - enough said.
*The 8 piece symphony under the hood. This is probably the best sounding car I've ever had. The RX-7, EVO, and STi all sounded really good but this thing makes me tingle down in the naughty parts.
*The tranny - not my neighbor. The 6 speed transmission is wonderful and puts up with my fumbling double clutching while making me look like I actually know what I'm doing.

misses:
*the red crash lights - kinda cool, but why aren't they also a shift indicator? Or did I miss something?
*the trip gauges - the MPG calculations are a mystery, I honestly have no idea how it's figuring out my average mpg. Also, for people who do Rally drives the distance gauge down to 2 decimals would be awesome so you can get a real gauge on how far you've gone. Some times you need to be able to measure under 50 yards and you can't do that.
*Traction control - let me adjust how out of alignment I want to let the car get! TC kicks in pretty quickly just as the fun is starting. If you happen to know what you're doing this isn't desirable. It also means you have to turn TC off on the track, but this puts everything on the driver. How about some middle ground? say 5 or 10 degrees before the Nanny takes over?
*Bluetooth - let me talk to Cortana (or Siri) instead of Sync!
*Navigation - I don't know the address I just know I want to go to the Mi Cocina off of MacArthur! Screw you I'll just use the phone navigation.

Overall I'm still really surprised that this is a Mustang. It's amazingly awesome.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:27 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

I also secretly love the sun glasses and inception glove box features, the details like this are what matters.

I can't say anything about the Recaros as I don't have them but I sure as heck love the premium red line leather interior I ordered, and the heated/cooled seats make me feel nice and cozy.

The sound system (I have the upgraded Shaker) sounds beautifully, especially after tuning it to your own specific liking. And nothing beats getting in my car and it picking up where I left off on Pandora immediately, without having to fumble about.

I also wish there were a shift indicator, but I do LOVE that the tack turns red when redlining...that's a sweet touch.

Sync 3 (not on the 15's, just the 16's+) offer full Siri integration, not the Ford Sync with My Ford Touch like we have in the 15's. I really do want to have better voice control, and I wish I could respond to texts and interact with them from the steering wheel controls like we can on my wife's 13' Fusion. Also, I can't stand that even still, in the 21st century, I have to say SPECIFIC commands. Com'on!

The remote everything is probably my favorite feature, meaning I never have to take my keys out of my pocket. It's brilliant! At first I was a bit weirded out about it and not having the ability to "crank" up my engine, but the convenience is unbeatable. Seriously, it's amazing.

I enjoy the backup camera as much as I enjoy the blind area sensors as well, they work flawlessly and give me an extra level of awareness when driving - also a nice touch.

Honestly, there isn't a thing I am going to change on the car - but then again I got everything I wanted and more with the purchase. Also, it's more of a "work" vehicle and needs to look/sound more professional than my grizzly, modded, 2005 GT Premium. I'll either keep that as a project car or trade it for a truck and have a utility vehicle handy.

Either way, the 2015 is amazing. I couldn't be happier with my purchase, and while I thought the prices were high at first glance, now I can't figure out how they crammed as much as they did into this car for the price. Love it. Love driving it. Love everything about it!
Old 08-25-2015, 05:46 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Another win I forgot to mention:

I discovered that the background can be changed. However the image dimensions are strange (800x384). Just copy to a USB thumb drive, plug it in and then go to settings and change the background.

I agree that the Shaker stereo is pretty good. I don't usually buy upgraded stuff so I'm not exactly a good critic but it sounds good to me.

I'm also pleased with how livable the car is. I added the trunk cargo net and a cargo box. Again, kinda dumb but you can actually go grocery shopping with this thing. So it's doable as a daily driver. The only thing I won't be doing with my GT is rescue transport. I pull dogs (German Shepherds) from local shepherds for a rescue. I could do that with my STi...but the GT doesn't really work. My 98 Expedition will get the job done nicely.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:21 AM
rjwz28

Originally Posted by squishbang
*The tranny - not my neighbor. The 6 speed transmission is wonderful and puts up with my fumbling double clutching while making me look like I actually know what I'm doing.
Why are you double-clutching a synchronized gearbox?
Old 08-26-2015, 10:31 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rjwz28
Why are you double-clutching a synchronized gearbox?
I can provide a long litany of why, but I'll keep it to two very simple reasons:
1 - Street driving: you drive like a ***** bag and the extra blips to rev match are fun
2 - Track driving: because you have figured out that 'gee!' you don't have to go 5,4,3,2 as you come off the back straight at 120+mph braking down to about 30 in order to enter the chicane. Going straight from 5 to 2 has things way out of alignment and the synchros don't really help. So you double clutch while braking hard (brakes are for braking and engines are for going - no engine braking). This allows a nice clean shift in to second so you can feather the clutch out without having the rear diff get even the slightest hint of wheel lock.

Put another way, despite my self-deprecation, I'm actually pretty good at heel-toing. When you do it right it just feels like....getting the corner piece of homemade lasagna or macaroni and cheese, getting the perfect buzz going from a nice expensive Irish Whisky and then your wife or girlfriend delivers the perfect *******. That is why *I* double clutch & heal-toe.

Any more questions I can help you out with?

Last edited by squishbang; 08-26-2015 at 10:37 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Biggest miss in the Mustang GT, and I really can't believe I didn't already rant about this: What is the !@#^%@#^ deal with the 16gallon gas tank? Are you kidding me? The blasted STi had the same thing. Are these guys drunk? The car needs at least a 20 gallon tank. A 25 gallon (I know - same size as the Expedition) would be rockin.

What's even worse is that there really isn't a way to address the gas tank size issue safely.

It's like having a leash on because when you start playing on back country roads you have to keep in mind where is the next gas station. Some of the places I want to go play this can get a bit serious. For instance North Central Arkansas (Push Mountain area) doesn't exactly have a lot of people around so there aren't many gas stations. As such you have to plan ahead and keep an eye on the numbers.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:18 PM
rjwz28

I can provide a long litany of why, but I'll keep it to two very simple reasons:
1 - Street driving: you drive like a ***** bag and the extra blips to rev match are fun
2 - Track driving: because you have figured out that 'gee!' you don't have to go 5,4,3,2 as you come off the back straight at 120+mph braking down to about 30 in order to enter the chicane. Going straight from 5 to 2 has things way out of alignment and the synchros don't really help. So you double clutch while braking hard (brakes are for braking and engines are for going - no engine braking). This allows a nice clean shift in to second so you can feather the clutch out without having the rear diff get even the slightest hint of wheel lock.

Put another way, despite my self-deprecation, I'm actually pretty good at heel-toing. When you do it right it just feels like....getting the corner piece of homemade lasagna or macaroni and cheese, getting the perfect buzz going from a nice expensive Irish Whisky and then your wife or girlfriend delivers the perfect *******. That is why *I* double clutch & heal-toe.

Any more questions I can help you out with?
I understand the heel-toe and rev-matching... I do it myself

I just think that double-clutching a modern gearbox is a waste of time
Old 08-26-2015, 12:40 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by rjwz28
I understand the heel-toe and rev-matching... I do it myself

I just think that double-clutching a modern gearbox is a waste of time
Try it. You'll notice a difference. Synchro's work but when you rev match via double clutching things are smooth as silk.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Another win I forgot to mention:

I discovered that the background can be changed. However the image dimensions are strange (800x384). Just copy to a USB thumb drive, plug it in and then go to settings and change the background.
Are those the specific/exact dimensions? No idea this feature existed, can't wait to try it out!!
Old 08-26-2015, 02:23 PM
squishbang
2nd Gear Member

Here is the article: http://ford-life.com/2012/02/28/how-...ch-background/

Easypeasie

Quick Reply: Wins and misses w/ the '15 GT