Notices
S550 2015-2023 Mustang Discussions on the S550 2015 - 2022 Ford Mustang.

Just got a 2016 Mustang GT Premium and I have some questions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 04:54 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Default Just got a 2016 Mustang GT Premium and I have some questions!

Hey guys,

Just leased a 2016 GT Premium (Magnetic) on Monday after being at the dealer for nearly 6 hours (... seriously... but I walked out with a good deal so ). I upgraded from a 2013 GT Premium which I had on lease that was ending November 30th (12k mile per year lease and I just hit 18k miles driving to the dealer on Monday, so I did a 10.5 this time haha). I know, I know, Mustangs lease very poorly but I had I feeling I might want to grab the new body style coming for the '15s and up when I got my 2013 (and boy did I!) and now I'm curious to see what Ford does for the 2019s (55th anniversary) so I leased again.

Anyway! I have a few (possibly stupid) questions that I cannot, for the life of me, seem to find in the owner's manual... In the dash computer/screen (I have no idea what you would call it... The screen in-between the tachometer and speedometer where you can change the ambient lighting and what-not) there's a few settings that I have no idea what they mean and thus I don't know if I should turn them off/on. The first one is under wiper blades, the option available is "courtesy wipe", the second is under "locks" and the option is "mislock", the third is for the alarm the options are "all sensors" or "perimeter". The owner's manual does not tell me what they do or mean (just lists that they are there... which isn't very helpful) and was hoping someone could enlighten me.

My next question (which is surprisingly not in the owner's manual as far as I can see, though I may have missed it) is what fuel grade does this car use? I know in my 2013 I could use 87-93 with the engine's computer changing the horsepower output (and fuel leaning) based on the grade (87 dropped the hp to 402, while 93 gave it the full 420hp... Of course I would use nothing but premium grade gas due to this haha). Since the 2016 is pretty-much the same motor with a 15hp increase I'm assuming it's the same, but want to double check.

Lastly, when I shut the engine off the driver's seat goes all the way back to make getting in/out "easier", however I kind of don't like this. It's rare, but if I had someone in the seat behind me they're going to get crushed by the seat going all the way back like this. Is there a way to shut this feature off?

Thanks in advance guys! I'm loving this car btw! It's a such a huge upgrade from my 2013 in terms of handling and "ride comfort".
Old 10-08-2015, 08:33 PM
JimC

The courtesy wipe will do a pass of the wipers a few seconds after they stop when using the windshield washer.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:36 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The courtesy wipe will do a pass of the wipers a few seconds after they stop when using the windshield washer.
Thanks! My 2013 GT had that by default, definitely prefer it and will turn it on.

After a bit of googling and wording my search various ways I was able to confirm that "mislock" is what Ford calls "autolock" where the doors automatically lock after 45 seconds without having a door open. This is one of those things that I'm not sure I can trust. I feel weird putting my faith in the car locking it's own doors every time, however it's a good feature for the rare instance of me forgetting to hit the lock button on the fob!
Old 10-09-2015, 09:15 AM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Okay, I found the fuel section in the owner's manual (page 125)... I'm SUPER confused now. It says to use 87 grade gas???????????
I fished out my previous 2013 GT's manual to confirm my previous statement; 87 produces 402hp, 89 413hp and 93 420hp. Do the 2015s/2016s only use 87 grade??? Could someone confirm?

Last edited by Spork3245; 10-09-2015 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 02:16 PM
JimC

The car will run fine on 87, just as your last Mustang. The knock sensors will also adjust timing for higher octane gas, just as your last Mustang. Unlike the older models where running higher octane made no difference without a tune , the 2013+ (maybe 2012) will adjust. Not so much that you will really notice a lot, but you will have more power. A tune of course will net more HP and torque.
Old 10-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by JimC
The car will run fine on 87, just as your last Mustang. The knock sensors will also adjust timing for higher octane gas, just as your last Mustang. Unlike the older models where running higher octane made no difference without a tune , the 2013+ (maybe 2012) will adjust. Not so much that you will really notice a lot, but you will have more power. A tune of course will net more HP and torque.
So it sounds like I should run 93 if that's what I was running in my 2013? I know it's silly but, just like with my 2013, I'd rather not give up horses to run a lower octane gas.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:28 PM
DippinBob

I just picked up my 2016 Shadow Black Convertible GT yesterday On page 18 of the Quick Reference Guide it says, " To provide improved performance, we suggest premium fuel. We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)2 octane rating of 87. Do not use E85 fuels..." So it seems like you have an option of either the 87 octane or premium. I'm going to add a cold air kit so I'm just staying with premium as it will probably be required once the CA kit is installed.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:27 PM
Spork3245
2nd Gear Member

Originally Posted by DippinBob
I just picked up my 2016 Shadow Black Convertible GT yesterday On page 18 of the Quick Reference Guide it says, " To provide improved performance, we suggest premium fuel. We recommend regular unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)2 octane rating of 87. Do not use E85 fuels..." So it seems like you have an option of either the 87 octane or premium. I'm going to add a cold air kit so I'm just staying with premium as it will probably be required once the CA kit is installed.
Ah, thank you! I haven't even opened the quick reference guide yet haha. It's amusing that they seem to go into more detail in the quick guide as opposed to the full manual. I just wish they listed the horsepower variations like they did in the 2013 manual.
Old 10-10-2015, 10:53 PM
Joescat

"Courtesy Wipe" has been answered, it's the "extra" wipe a few seconds after the wipers otherwise stop. But really . . . "Courtesy Wipe"?! That must be an inside joke, and it's not a very subtle one.

"Mislock" I recall reading activates the warning if you press the remote's lock, and something is not ready to lock . . . a door is open, or the luggage compartment. The horn will honk twice as an alert. I could be wrong.
Annoying is the double-honk if the car thinks your not leaving a key fob and/or accessory option and/or door locks in a combination it doesn't like. I park in the garage, and a horn honk is intensely disruptive and loud in there! Where's the "shut the *uc* up" menu option? Just react appropriately, you don't need to honk at me. One of the disadvantages of proximity keys.

You can disable the seat automatically moving back upon engine off in the menus. It's entitled "Easy Entry/Exit". And yes, it's annoying, especially with a manual trans. At first I thought "oh neat", then quickly tired of the option. Instead, I just memorized memory #3 to move the seat back.

The alarm option for "All Sensors/Perimeter" I haven't found a solid answer either. I'll guess . . . my 2013 had motion sensors in the overhead module, so even waving a hand inside the vehicle would trip the alarm. The only way I knew of to NOT have it active was to lock the doors with the physical key in the drivers door. Turn it counter-clockwise and all doors lock, alarm is armed EXCEPT the motion sensor. So my guess is, now that we don't have an [U]obvious[U] physical key slot, maybe that's an alternative method of choosing the alarm sensors active. However, that menu item certainly isn't intuitive! My guess is "perimeter" is actually door, trunk and hood. All sensors might include the motion sensor. The overhead module is almost identical to my 2013, and there is clearly a motion sensor visible on the driver's and passenger side, so I ASSUME it has motion detection. I haven't tested that yet at all.

I believe I recall also there is an Autolock and Auto-Unlock . . . and I think that's where the doors will automatically lock after the vehicle is in motion at a specific speed - somewhere around 12-15MPH. AutoUnlock has historically been an option to automatically unlock the doors when you shut off the engine.

The owner's manual for this MY is ridiculous. Some things aren't cited at all, and too many are just repeated in the manual as the option appears. Still others go into silly depth, especially when it rambles on about "Principles of Operation". And of course a whole lot of "things the lawyers make us say".

I totally agree though, this is an overall upgrade from the 2013 - everything is just better, far more desirable changes than annoying ones.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:25 PM
Joescat

Some questions I'm still seeking answers / solutions / feature changes . . .

Is there a lower level of accessory power option? That is, from OFF, a tap of the start button w/o an engine start turns everything on . . . climate, many lights . . . even the front LED accent lights. I'd like to just get in, listen to music and have power windows available once in a while. The display indicates "Full Accessory Power ON". That hints there may be another mode? There is the "accessory delay", where you can listen to the radio, operate the windows etc. after switching off the ignition . . . is there another way to enter this mode? The manual only cites "Off, On and Start".

Loudness for the rear park aid. It's too loud!

The Rear Park Aid turns itself back on, even though I turned it off in the Driver Assist menu (not the menu that comes up when activated.

There is an option to enable opening the windows with the key fob by holding down [Unlock] after unlocking. The manual simply states "you can open the windows for a short time" . . . what is a short time? As hinted, do the windows automatically close after this "short time"? If they don't, then citing "a short time" would be irrelevant.

Now, this MY has an automatic steering wheel lock. After locking, about 20 seconds later you can clearly hear the click when it activates. Is anything else being activated? I can't tell.

And a scary item: For the Torsen Limited Slip, we're told that "Extended use of tire sizes other than the manufacturer’s specified tire size on these axles could result in a permanent reduction in effectiveness. This loss does not affect your normal driving and should not be
noticeable." WTH?

Quick Reply: Just got a 2016 Mustang GT Premium and I have some questions!